• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Fail ? 5600G

Associate
Hi all, I just built my first PC for several years. All works fine - for about 6 hours. At which point, the motherboard shows a 'no CPU' light on the EZ debug. Power off/on doesn't seem to fix it at first. Yesterday, I left it powered off and unplugged overnight, then it was OK again for 5-6 hours, then off again (even though it's been left all that time no really doing anything)

The case and CPU cooler are very cool and operationally it seems to get the cpu to around 45 degrees max, so I don't think it's overheating, but can't entirely rule that out.

Its a Ryzen 5600G, with stock cooler (and stock heat paste), fitted into an MSI B450 Mortar max, 16G RAM, SSD. The Kolink Citadel case seems very cool running and PSU is 'be quiet! System Power 9 600W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply Bulk'.

Any help appreciated. :(

Associate
OP
Did you update the motherboard bios ?
I did as I was building it, went for the penultimate one (not the beta). Did that 'cpu less' prior to build. I've replaced cmos battery and reset, and it's booted - it's 1.5 hours since failure. Have gone into bios and running hardware monitor screen. Been booted 5 mins, cpu at 32c, system at 29c, cpu fan running at 670rpm. Will monitor for a while ...

Associate
OP
Left it running overnight, on the h/w monitor screen in bios. All still running this morning, CPU was on 33c @10:30 and still showing that this morning. Appeared all OK. Switched it off and back on - CPU Fault light on the EZ Debug on the motherboard.... I've tried 4 reboots, all the same.

Only thing I can think of now is disassembly and re-assembly, but I'm left feeling I might be trying to buy another MB (Not sure how I would try to get it tested/warranty etc, given self-assembly etc?)

Associate
OP
nope - different BIOS isn't working. Taken the CPU off the MB, can't see any physical issue, re-fitted, same problem.
Whatever the issue is, it now appears full time, just won't boot at all.

I've no spare kit, so can't swap CPU or MB - looks like my only option is to buy another MB/CPU, which is an expensive 'fix' :(

Soldato
nope - different BIOS isn't working. Taken the CPU off the MB, can't see any physical issue, re-fitted, same problem.
Whatever the issue is, it now appears full time, just won't boot at all.

I've no spare kit, so can't swap CPU or MB - looks like my only option is to buy another MB/CPU, which is an expensive 'fix' :(

CPU error could be your ram too, what ram are you using and is XMP enabled ?

Soldato
I'd try the beta bios as that is the only bios that had released after the 5600G, all the earlier non beta ones were about 3 months before the actual chips release.

Soldato
Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey

How do I check XMP (no access to BIOS, as it won't boot that far)

Try them 1 stick at a time in the slot they recommend for 1 stick. May have a bad stick. If you get in the bios with one stick and both sticks one at a time then while in 1 stick try XMP on too. If it posts with 1 stick with xmp try sticking both sticks in and check if xmp still on if it lets you in the bios.

As stated above also try the beta bios if you get into the bios and use the flash tool. if all fails try the flashback option if you have that on the board too. Make sure to name the file correctly (MSI.ROM) and format the usb stick to fat32 and try using a small 8gb or 16gb usb stick don't use very large usb sticks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom