Oak internal doors

Soldato
As above, looking to buy 16 doors.
Seen various online for around the £80-100. Little did I know that these are all an oak veneer... Anyway.
I can't afford solid oak.

These seem quite good, as they have room for 10mm of trimming both sides and the same top and bottom, thus quite thick.

Am I on the right tracks?
Can someone recommend any in particular at a similar price point?

~1980 x 762 and 686 required.

Associate
I recently purchased 7 XL Joinery Suffolk doors which have 20mm lipping on all sides. All well and good till the <insert word> chap who came to fit them chopped it all off one end, and generally made a pigs ear of it all. 21 years experience apparently, not sure what he was doing for those 21 years.

Need to take them down and adjust pretty much all of them. Two have centre hinges that creak due to alignment I'm assuming. One doesn't open properly as the end hits the floor half way when open, and this is before carpets which need 20mm gap. Most of the others need re-trimming and may expose the core. He has split door lining on that one so need to take the door off to fix the lining and move the hinge.

Anyway, after I had taken weeks oiling the doors and getting the finish perfect I'm rather cheesed off. Not to mention the mess he made of the architrave and skirting, doesn't seem to have measured at all, so gaps between the architrave and door lining are all over the place, and he's smeared adhesive/sealant all over the place which is taking ages to sand down to then have to re-prime the previously painted wood.

The doors themselves were nice, heavy, although the first delivery was a mess as three of the 7 doors were damaged. Oiling was a pain taking so long but I'd heard issues around matching Howdens pre-finished after fitting. Regretted the decision while oiling though haha.

Soldato
I recently purchased 7 XL Joinery Suffolk doors which have 20mm lipping on all sides. All well and good till the <insert word> chap who came to fit them chopped it all off one end, and generally made a pigs ear of it all. 21 years experience apparently, not sure what he was doing for those 21 years.

Need to take them down and adjust pretty much all of them. Two have centre hinges that creak due to alignment I'm assuming. One doesn't open properly as the end hits the floor half way when open, and this is before carpets which need 20mm gap. Most of the others need re-trimming and may expose the core. He has split door lining on that one so need to take the door off to fix the lining and move the hinge.

Anyway, after I had taken weeks oiling the doors and getting the finish perfect I'm rather cheesed off. Not to mention the mess he made of the architrave and skirting, doesn't seem to have measured at all, so gaps between the architrave and door lining are all over the place, and he's smeared adhesive/sealant all over the place which is taking ages to sand down to then have to re-prime the previously painted wood.

The doors themselves were nice, heavy, although the first delivery was a mess as three of the 7 doors were damaged. Oiling was a pain taking so long but I'd heard issues around matching Howdens pre-finished after fitting. Regretted the decision while oiling though haha.

The Carpenter/chippy/Bodge it and scarper who did my doors was useless -He drilled hole for the lock and went straight through the upright into the panel along with bodged hinges etc - I could have done a better job.
The worse bit is you have no idea who to ask and then someone says Oh I had bodge it and scarper and he did a really good job.
Are my expectations too high

Soldato
Are Howdens trade only?
Yes,
You would need to know someone in the trade, preferably with a Howdens account to buy them.
The last house we were in was a new build, I went with the builder to Howdens to pick the kitchen, when we moved in they weren't even able to sell me a £14 drawer insert, it had to go on the builders account.

Tea Drinker
Don
Are my expectations too high

Depends what you are willing to pay. Door sets we would pay £30 to £50 a door but they are fully machined out at the factory. Literally only need levelling, fixing and adjusting.

A blank door in a existing opening I’d expect to pay £50 to £75 a door including chopping out all the ironmongery and running the door down.

That’s the sort of quality you should be expecting. Tight even lines

W06kQ4E.jpg

Associate
Depends what you are willing to pay. Door sets we would pay £30 to £50 a door but they are fully machined out at the factory. Literally only need levelling, fixing and adjusting.

A blank door in a existing opening I’d expect to pay £50 to £75 a door including chopping out all the ironmongery and running the door down.

That’s the sort of quality you should be expecting. Tight even lines

W06kQ4E.jpg

that looks lovely, I’d have happily paid more for that. Mine said £40 a door, and had over 30 five star reviews on Facebook, I can only assume they have vastly different standards to me. It’s so hard finding a good tradesman, I was tempted to do it myself and wish I had now.

Associate
theres no excuse for it not looking like that, hanging doors is an easy basic skill for a joiner(or should be), anyone who can't do a good job hanging doors isn't much use as a joiner. at least im in the building trade so know quite a few decent joiners. couldn't use my normal one last time but the lad that did it fitted 2 of the above doors in 2 1/2 hours and charged me £60 for the pair(mates rates)

Associate
Got our solid oak doors from https://www.ukoakdoors.co.uk

They seemed to be the only place that did 1930s style solid oak doors, with inset pannelling rather than embossed.

Quality door which my carpenter commented on being better quality than Howdens. How true that is I can't verify but I'm certainly happy with them.

Soldato
Soldato
I've bought about £3500 worth from climadoor in Derby (appear to also own vibrant doors) which do similar Mexicano doors. I'm buying 15ish doors and quite a large bifold.

I'm paying £70 per door fitted (excluding the bifold). I'm supplying all ironmongery

Soldato
I had real trouble getting solid core white 6 panel textured doors earlier in the year. I've got them now and they are still sat waiting to be hung because traders like to live up their stereotype of being total ***** and never getting back to you or turning up. It's got to the point where I think I am going to buy one of those door lift foot pump things, buy the hardware and do it myself. The only thing I don't have is a router for the hinges, so will be doing it old-skool with chisels. I just need to sharpen them first.

One door should be easy as I think a door did use to be there and hence it has all the stops in place. The other one has the door frame and architrave but I don't think a door has ever been there as they left it open to kitchen. In any case, any advice before I tackle it welcome. I'm going to get some heavy duty ball bearing fire rated hinges (these are solid core 40kg doors) from screwfix and I hear good things of iron mongery direct for handles. I want handles and latches that are decent. Proper double sprung handles and latches that are smooth.

Soldato
OP
I hung all of my current doors (cheap moulded type) around 5 years ago just using a sharp chisel, I intend to do the same with these oak ones. Slow and steady.
I'm not a chippy or anything close but if you take your time you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom