• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC vs Console, has high GPU prices played a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't need to defend, just telling it as it is.

PS5 can't even run Cyberpunk2077 at 4K. I believe it can do 1080p.

There isn't a PS5 version of Cyberpunk available. It would have course be very foolish to use PS4 game performance running in backwards compatibility mode to criticise the PS5's abilities, so I'm sure that's not what you're attempting to do here.

V F

V F

Soldato
I get you, I LOVE my pc and would definitely say it's superior in pretty much every game to my ps5 but it was also over twice the cost and expecting the consoles to beat a GPU that's twice as expensive as it ALONE is ridiculous to me.
Sometimes I'm all for sticking on a game, laying on the sofa with a controller and having a hassle free time. And if you want to upgrade your pc now you are just going to have to deal with paying for WAY overpriced parts. I bet you could pick up a console for £450 eventually, but GPUs......nah.

Can also play in bed on the console. Can't do that unless getting up a lot for the PC.

Associate
There isn't a PS5 version of Cyberpunk available. It would have course be very foolish to use PS4 game performance running in backwards compatibility mode to criticise the PS5's abilities, so I'm sure that's not what you're attempting to do here.

And the one game that Sony removed from their store for half year for being so ****** lol.

Permabanned
Turning it on with a pad, turning it off with a pad, changing games with a pad, using Netflix with a pad... If even possible on a pc. Massively more faff.

You'd argue black was white.

Your just being difficult. A PC can do a million things more than a console.

Associate
Your just being difficult. A PC can do a million things more than a console.
It's not about being able to to more things, it's about convenience, like being able to lay down, click a single button on the controller and game right away without absolutely any hassle. I even bought a Xbox controller for my pc and I can not still replicate it there.

V F

V F

Soldato
It's not about being able to to more things, it's about convenience, like being able to lay down, click a single button on the controller and game right away without absolutely any hassle. I even bought a Xbox controller for my pc and I can not still replicate it there.

Plus for the majority of people, a console is a lot more quieter than a PC gaming after midnight. Nor will a console crank out the heat a PC can.

Associate
A PC is no match for the convenience of console, particularly with different launchers and having to get up to be near the PC. Although PC's have come on a long way over the years (i.e. Steam Big Picture mode). Steam Deck and similar formfactor handheld PCs could become the portable format of choice though.

I downsized my gaming desktop PC to a laptop in 2018. It can get noisy at times but my plan is to push down the specs when the time comes to replace. Tbh my PC gaming is so eclectic at the moment that I don't need much power; bit of Guild Wars 1(!), Papers, Please! and Company of Heroes has been my recent plays. The Elder Scrolls Online was probably my most recent 'modern' PC games but I made a conscious decision to drop that game after 4-years of grinding. I have mixture of formats including the PC; Switch, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and some older stuff that all get play time. Between my backlog, Game Pass, PS Now and freebies I have tons to keep me busy. At some point I will upgrade to a newer Xbox or PS console.

For me whether it's upgrading your GPU, or buying a new console - the fun is being sucked from buying new hardware.

Permabanned

Plus for the majority of people, a console is a lot more quieter than a PC gaming after midnight. Nor will a console crank out the heat a PC can.

A PC is no match for the convenience of console, particularly with different launchers and having to get up to be near the PC. Although PC's have come on a long way over the years (i.e. Steam Big Picture mode). Steam Deck and similar formfactor handheld PCs could become the portable format of choice though.

I respectfully disagree. Again your builds sounds restricted.

The Pros of a PC is that you can build it to suit your use case :D Many builds have water-cooling to run chilled and silent.

The customisation with PCs is loads better than consoles, small or large cases, tempered glass cases, sturdy heavy duty cases, LED lighting,watercooling ... you can upgrade parts in the PC as well.

People can also use their PCs in bed to game, mine has wireless control pad, wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. So it is super convenient to use. Many also use 4K TVs as screens on their PCs. Some have more than one screen connected for super convenience or productivity.

I can do everything re gaming on a PC easy without moving from my position. I'm wanting nothing for continence tbh. I actually enjoy going through the Windows 10 menus and clicking on stuff, customising wallpaper, cursors, sounds all that stuff. So a console's one button click to play is not exciting for me lol

I like to play browser games, download MODs and PS5 can't do that.

V F

V F

Soldato
Ok lug your full custom loop into your bedroom, no thanks. I know how heavy mine is. It's not something I want to lug from day to day room to room.

An average gamer isn't going to shell out that money for that kind of build to game in silence in their bedroom.

Permabanned
Ok lug your full custom loop into your bedroom, no thanks. I know how heavy mine is. It's not something I want to lug from day to day room to room.

An average gamer isn't going to shell out that money for that kind of build to game in silence in their bedroom.

Tbh most gamers use a headset when playing games, so total silence is pointless ( for me when I'm gaming.)

But, when I'm on the Internet, I want silence and 3 Series and AMD 6 Series cards usually run with their fans on 0% when not gaming.

Associate
T. I actually enjoy going through the Windows 10 menus and clicking on stuff, customising wallpaper, cursors, sounds all that stuff. So a console's one button click to play is not exciting for me lol

This is literally the opposite of convenient.
Tbh most gamers use a headset when playing games, so total silence is pointless ( for me when I'm gaming.)

why wouldnt anyone want silence if possible? headset or not?

Soldato

You might aswell just talk to a brick wall. This guy can't quite grasp what people are saying here.

Has pc component pricing driven people consider consoles? Nah of course not. They need to just take out a second mortgage to make a full custom loop and a £2000+ graphics card. Then they can tell everyone how their 4k+ investment is faster than a console that was a tenth of the price.

Soldato
A PC is no match for the convenience of console, particularly with different launchers and having to get up to be near the PC.
This^

My PC (5900X / 3070 TI) sees far less use than my consoles. The Series X & PS5 are just so easy to connect to a big TV, turn-on and start playing. Unless a keyboard/mouse/>120fps are absolutely-required, cosoles win. GamePass absolutely rocks on console:D, and to a lesser-extent on PC.

Associate
I respectfully disagree...

I don't think anyone is arguing with you about the flexibility of PC gaming. And the gist of your argument is very much along those lines. Just on a console you're powering up the console from the controller and potentially being one-click away from launching a game at all times. With PC there's always extra steps and/or complications. And these new consoles have gone to great strides to improve resume modes and loading. PC are way more customisable and that is one of its great strengths. That said I can totally see why people in the current market would buy a next-gen console over a PC given the very expensive prices and shortages of certain PC components.

In terms of the OP's question I do think the significant percentage of PC & PS4/5 owners will be in-part due to historic Sony PS exclusives. And some of those being hard-core gamers, i.e. wanting to own everything. Although I can see that from a Sony POV why they may want to be more of a multi-platform publisher. There's probably significant growth from porting their PS exclusives to PC. And if they are going to increase GaaS output then having more games on PC would fit that strategy.

Soldato
It's disingenuous to argue that it's a hassle to move your PC or that it must be custom loop when things like this (below) exist & are 98% as fast as a WCed version, and they don't even require higher costs, only smarter choices. Plus the consoles aren't even compact anymore, so you can't even argue the size! And as for "oh but it's easier to get into the game on console", also false, Steam Big Picture exists and you can do all that with your gamepad in windows, and if we really want to be honest a compact keyboard is very cheap & easy to use so you don't have to struggle with a gamepad only if you don't want to.
People should just admit they're being illogical and lazy, it's fine, that's why the console market thrives, but it's not based in any rationality whatsoever.

4uf9q9h460z71.jpg

pua6ivy06by61.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom