Mobiles and pricing plans in the late 90s / early 00s?

Associate
I got my first mobile in 1993 (I was 23 at the time) It was this beast, the Ericsson EH237

ercisson_eh237.gif

I do remember getting a Ericsson GF 768 at some point. However the highlight of the late 90s for me was the T28s, pretty cool connected to a Psion Revo via IR link, and sending an Email!!

41TCCCJZBML._AC_.jpg
psion_revo.jpg

Soldato
My first was a Philips Savvy in 1999. Went from that to a Motorola V50, then through a bunch of weird and wonderful Nokia phones (in no particular order, as I CBA to look up when they all came out):

N80
E60
N91
E90

Also had a Sony Ericsson S700, T630 and W810.

Growing up, I was fortunate that my dad worked in the industry as a sales manager, so we got a lot of phones. Nokia, in particular, used to just had them to him on a regular basis. They were always "on loan", but very few ever went back. My brother had a load too, including an NGage, N95, 7600, N90, E61, and N800. Looking back, there were some seriously weird designs :cry:

IIRC, the W810 was my last "dumb phone". I moved from that to an Xperia X1, bounced between Windows Phone and iPhone for a few years, then settled on Android.

Caporegime
I remember the old man having a BT thing, that he turned on and off and it topped up by a tenner. I also remember paying 10p per text!

Remember getting the N95, what a game changing phone that was.

Soldato
All the cool kids had a 3210/3310 or an 8210 (seriously cool kids) at my school, but my parents refused to get me a phone so I collected the ring pulls off of Coke cans (I didn't even drink coke), sent my 30 quid cheque off and ended up with an Ericcson A1018s as my first phone on One2one :D

tmGosOa.png

Nobody had contracts, we were all on pay-as-you-go, mostly the BT Cellnet £10 per month (?) top Genie sim card with unlimited texts.

Soldato
I was on a one2one weekends and evenings free tariff. I still have the same number.

mates were on everyday 50 with orange.

My brother had a NeC P3 (analogue) which could be used as a police scanner. Pretty mad !

Soldato
My boss had a brick which he carried around Shrewsbury - then we all had mobiles at work in early 90's - I retired in 1998 so had to give phone back so bought my own -It was only for ringing home to say put dinner on.
Can't remember what phone was but then had biggest load of rubbish ever- a Samsung Apollo -Took it clay shooting and got someone to throw it in the air and shot poo out of it.-then a Samsung Flip off a mate who was upgrading - Good lad he was as he left naked pictures of his wife on it. Always looked at female GP's in a new light after that.
Finally the best phone I had before todays smart phones - A Nokia 6630. -it's still in drawer next to me.

Ps - think I may have them in wrong order -it was a long time ago.
Pps -samsung Apollo

Last edited:
Soldato
Around '95 at a guess would have been my first phone a Motorola M300 the SIM was a full size credit card that you slid in the bottom of the phone. No idea what I was paying but I shared it with my flatmate in the student halls of residence, so we had one phone, one number, were not always together but split the bill lol

Soldato
Got my first mobile in either 97 or 98 - my brother actually bought it, but couldn't afford to keep topping it up; so I had it off him.

Don't recall what network it was, but used to top it up with £10 or £20 cards a time, pretty sure it used to have an aerial you could unscrew... for reasons I guess. Pretty sure it was a Motorola jobbie though.

Permabanned
All the cool kids had a 3210/3310 or an 8210 (seriously cool kids) at my school, but my parents refused to get me a phone so I collected the ring pulls off of Coke cans (I didn't even drink coke), sent my 30 quid cheque off and ended up with an Ericcson A1018s as my first phone on One2one :D

tmGosOa.png

Nobody had contracts, we were all on pay-as-you-go, mostly the BT Cellnet £10 per month (?) top Genie sim card with unlimited texts.

Ericsson A1018s Coca Cola Edition | 20 years later sealed - YouTube

:D

Back
Top Bottom