Poll: Brazilian Grand Prix 2021, São Paulo - Race 19

Rate the 2021 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's a measurement issue going by the FIA report (i.e. looks like it was the opening was too big!) if that's the case it wasn't a one off issue the car was setup wrong so it'll be a back of the grid/pit lane job.

Would need a rapid sprint race to even get him off the back row for Sunday!

Soldato
You mean by out qualifying Perez's RB, so doing a decent but not stellar job for the team. Remember money is paid for the constructors'
I mean by out qualifying Max in Q1 and Q2 and then completely fluffing Q3 (he was quicker in Q2 than Q3), in a car that apparently has a decent pace advantage over the RBR over a single lap.

Starting in front of Max is even more important this weekend when there’s a sprint race and Hamilton has an engine penalty.

Looks like the DRS infringement will make it even less likely that Hamilton has a chance of closing the gap on Verstappen. Would have been nice if Bottas was in front of Max to deny him full points.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like Hamilton is disqualified from the sprint qualifying qualifying and will start from the back for the sprint, then take a 5-place penalty for the race from whatever position he finishes the sprint race.

might as well replace as many parts as possible and start from the pit lane on Sunday. :mad:

How have Merc ****** this up so royally and how is it just affecting one car? Are we talking 1mm extra gap in the DRS that could have been human error tightening a few bolts, or is this more blatant?

Associate
Max was clearly only comparing his own DRS wing with Hamilton’s. He spent far more time touching his own wing. In the few seconds that Max was close enough to Hamilton’s wing to actually do anything to it, all he would’ve had time to do would’ve been to hit it with his fist and do obvious damage - which clearly didn’t happen.
To do the kind of covert tampering which Mercedes might accuse him of would require a much longer time of standing behind the wing and obviously fiddling with it.

Soldato
Considering the forces the rear wing/DRS are designed to operate under, poking and prodding one for a few seconds would be very unlikely to damage it.

However, I don’t think it’s considered the done thing to touch a competitor’s car at all. Probably why Max got called to the Stewards.

Associate
I can’t think of a DRS infringement like this before. I’d have though the DRS opening is fixed by regs and you wouldn’t change it with different tracks? Or do you change enough of the rear wing setup generally that it gets readjusted and setup each time? Have to wait to see what comes out this morning about the amount of breach as it may be reported. Could it be a DRS damage thing that things have flexed from racing? (doesn’t mean it is an excuse for being outside of regs)

Edit- I love the extreme views on twitter! Everything from LH should start from back and reprimand for MV, so MV should be disqualified for damaging LH car and endangering his safety with a back of the grid start for the next race!

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly, the best thing that can happen for the championship battle and entertainment value is that no further action is taken against Hamilton because Max touched the wing and no further action is taken against Max because it can’t be proven that he did anything to increase the DRS gap.

However, I expect Hamilton will be disqualified from quali, Max will get a fine, and the championship battle is effectively over.

Soldato
I can’t think of a DRS infringement like this before. I’d have though the DRS opening is fixed by regs and you wouldn’t change it with different tracks? Or do you change enough of the rear wing setup generally that it gets readjusted and setup each time? Have to wait to see what comes out this morning about the amount of breach as it may be reported. Could it be a DRS damage thing that things have flexed from racing? (doesn’t mean it is an excuse for being outside of regs)

Edit- I love the extreme views on twitter! Everything from LH should start from back and reprimand for MV, so MV should be disqualified for damaging LH car and endangering his safety with a back of the grid start for the next race!

F1 Twitter is a vile place.

Caporegime
This is the article Max is said to have breached:

Inside the Parc Fermé, only the officials assigned may enter. No operation, checking, tuning or repair is allowed unless authorised by the same officials or by the applicable regulations.​

Soldato
Honestly, the best thing that can happen for the championship battle and entertainment value is that no further action is taken against Hamilton because Max touched the wing and no further action is taken against Max because it can’t be proven that he did anything to increase the DRS gap.

However, I expect Hamilton will be disqualified from quali, Max will get a fine, and the championship battle is effectively over.

The best thing from entertainment side would be to send them both to back of the grid and let them fight it out whilst trying to get through the field.

Looks like Lewis is screwed either way as the wing needs fixing/ replacing and will have to start from the back/ pits for sprint.

Max will probably get away with a fine. Him poking the wing is extremely unlikely to cause any damage but it's enough to bring element of doubt to any decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom