MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Soldato
I've just bought one of these to go with a stopgap 5600X. I'm coming from an Intel 2700k and not looked at bios settings for a long time, can anyone give me a summary of anything I need to ensure is enabled on this. I'm building it next weekend and it's unlikely I'll be over locking it at the moment as it's on air whilst I plan the WC stuff next year.

Associate
I've just bought one of these to go with a stopgap 5600X. I'm coming from an Intel 2700k and not looked at bios settings for a long time, can anyone give me a summary of anything I need to ensure is enabled on this. I'm building it next weekend and it's unlikely I'll be over locking it at the moment as it's on air whilst I plan the WC stuff next year.

Remember to set you XMP profiles for your RAM, check that your fans are set to the correct sensors and PWM is enabled where necessary, and then I'd also recommend enabling PBO2 (do it after you've set everything up and know that it's stable in Windows). Easy to follow video below.

Soldato
Hi lads. Is this still the best bang for your buck X570 mobo out there? I had it on my radar last year, but had to cancel that planned build. But now I've happened upon a second hand 3700X so I can go ahead if this is still where the smart money is going?

Soldato
Never will I buy an ASUS board again. After the demise of ABIT I have had three, two of them Crosshairs, V and VI.The latter has never kept my Ryzen 7 series one working without losing memory timings and with cold boot issues.
An MSI b450 carbon max at a quarter of the price is running absolutely smoothly with OC memory timing. I find it hard to believe. Fast booting too.

Associate
Hi lads. Is this still the best bang for your buck X570 mobo out there? I had it on my radar last year, but had to cancel that planned build. But now I've happened upon a second hand 3700X so I can go ahead if this is still where the smart money is going?

Yep, still an excellent value X570 board.

Soldato
Remember to set you XMP profiles for your RAM, check that your fans are set to the correct sensors and PWM is enabled where necessary, and then I'd also recommend enabling PBO2 (do it after you've set everything up and know that it's stable in Windows). Easy to follow video below.

Built and windows installed. Some minor faffage with windows install and account passwords etc but resolved I think.

Bios wise, it set my memory to 2666 for some reason in EZ mode and even selecting XMP profile 1 or 2 which were both set to 3600, didn't seem to change it. Going into advanced mode and setting it manually seems to work, as did selecting "memory try it" and selecting the correct preset.

PWM was a nightmare to find but I think it's correct, case fans are DC but they are 120mm and silent so they Han stay as they are. The chip fan was already set to PWM when I found it anyway.

PB02 I'll sort out shortly once I know if I need to reseat the CPU cooler. It's a couple of hours prime95 stable maxing out at 70degrees which seems hot to me but I'm coming from a WC loop that doesn't go over 50 so maybe I'm expecting too much (CPU is 5600x btw)

Associate
PB02 I'll sort out shortly once I know if I need to reseat the CPU cooler. It's a couple of hours prime95 stable maxing out at 70degrees which seems hot to me but I'm coming from a WC loop that doesn't go over 50 so maybe I'm expecting too much (CPU is 5600x btw)

My 5800x hits just over 70-75c with R23 so I think that’s fair. Remember that that’s under full sustained load, so realistically you won’t see that temp with normal use.

Soldato
Any of you guys experiencing fan issues lately? For some reason, my fans have started spinning faster and it seems that , after I lower the curve in BIOS, it doesn't remember it and booting into windows is rather loud.

Tried updating to the latest BIOS today but its making no difference

Associate
My system seems OK and I customise the fan curves. I am in the latest (Beta 183 at time of writing)
Seems unlikely for the age of the board, but might the battery be dead. I can't think of another reason for BIOS settings to be forgotton.
Alternatively, the curve is not being overridden by some utility software running in Windows?

How did it start, just suddenly was noticeable as soon as it happened? Are any other settings affected eg memory XMP setting, BAR etc.
Just a thought, one option I always change is to set the computer to beep on startup. That's off by default so I would know straight away if the BIOS is being reset for some reason.

Soldato
Aye - it just started doing it yesterday, out of the blue.

My temps seem fine and low too so I am not sure what has happened. Of course, it might just be needing a good clean but I doubt it - I regularly blast air through everything to keep it dust free. I think its the fans on my AIO but its hard to tell as HW Monitor doesn't allow me to check the pump speed - only can check that in BIOS - but when I am in BIOS, the fan curve actually works and there is silence lol.

I don't think the BIOS battery would be dead as it remembers when I change other settings such as XMP profile etc and I havent added any other software to the windows installation that I know of.

Really puzzled by this phenomenon but thank you, so much, for your suggestions

My system seems OK and I customise the fan curves. I am in the latest (Beta 183 at time of writing)
Seems unlikely for the age of the board, but might the battery be dead. I can't think of another reason for BIOS settings to be forgotton.
Alternatively, the curve is not being overridden by some utility software running in Windows?

How did it start, just suddenly was noticeable as soon as it happened? Are any other settings affected eg memory XMP setting, BAR etc.
Just a thought, one option I always change is to set the computer to beep on startup. That's off by default so I would know straight away if the BIOS is being reset for some reason.

Soldato
Is anyone else running 2 gen 4 m.2 drives in this board. I have 2 WD sn850 m.2s in mine. A 1gb drive in the 1st m.2 slot which uses the cpu2 lanes and the second drive which is 500gb in the m.2 slot that uses the chipset lanes. The 1gb drive does ~7000mb/s rear and ~5300mb/s write whereas the 500gb drive running off the chipset is only doing about 3300mb/s both read and write. When I had the 500gb drive running off the first m.2 slot it was getting the speeds you would expect from a gen4 m.2.

Are there any settings I should change in bios that I've missed or is this the expected performance when in the second slot? The drive is connected and running at gen4 speeds according to the WD software, Dashboard.

Associate
Is anyone else running 2 gen 4 m.2 drives in this board. I have 2 WD sn850 m.2s in mine. A 1gb drive in the 1st m.2 slot which uses the cpu2 lanes and the second drive which is 500gb in the m.2 slot that uses the chipset lanes. The 1gb drive does ~7000mb/s rear and ~5300mb/s write whereas the 500gb drive running off the chipset is only doing about 3300mb/s both read and write. When I had the 500gb drive running off the first m.2 slot it was getting the speeds you would expect from a gen4 m.2.

Are there any settings I should change in bios that I've missed or is this the expected performance when in the second slot? The drive is connected and running at gen4 speeds according to the WD software, Dashboard.

Might be this: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/wd-is-fi...ack-sn850-ssds-run-slow-on-x570-motherboards/

"The folks at ComputerBase ran some tests and observed write performance being cut nearly in half when connecting the drive to the aforementioned slot—one of the benchmarks saw write speeds go from 5,255MB/s to 2,972MB/s, which is a 43.4% reduction."

Firmware fix was posted in July: https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/new-sn850-firmware-restores-amd-x570-performance-loss

Absolutely sure you are on latest firmware?

Back
Top Bottom