A growing trend in trolling teachers

Soldato
A growing trend I'm sure of trolling teachers on social media such as tiktok. Wondering if you see this as a big deal or just a small issue in the bigger scheme of things. Could this become a major problem resulting in less people applying for teaching careers resulting in either teacher shortages or lower quality teaching staff. I know back in my days nothing would be tolerated in regards to mocking or undermining teachers and most other authority figures for that matter. Maybe the teachers just have to man or woman up?

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-59264238

Soldato
Schools need to ban smartphones. Put them in the locker on arrival and take them out before going home. Only in exceptional circumstances should someone be allowed to use a smartphone during school hours.

It all started going down hill when schools allowed calculators in class *waves old man cane :D

Soldato
Schools need to ban smartphones. Put them in the locker on arrival and take them out before going home. Only in exceptional circumstances should someone be allowed to use a smartphone during school hours.

It all started going down hill when schools allowed calculators in class *waves old man cane :D
Errr did you read the article or look at the picture of the TikTok video? I think the teacher would have noticed being filmed at that distance if it were in classroom learning. :cry:

My son's secondary school don't let phones in lessons, that seems to be the norm.

Caporegime
I need to see the video to see what the issue is.

As I'm reading it, a pupil uploaded a clip of the teachers remote learning video...why was it bad? Did they edit it to make it sound like he said stupid stuff?

I'm so glad I went to school in a time without mobile phones though.

Soldato
Yeah, the scale of bulling potential with sites like TikTok around is a real worry as a parent. Even the (unofficial) class/year WhatsApp groups pose a risk, and it's one of those things that if you aren't a member of then you'll be an outcast.

Associate
Happened in my kids school this week. Some kids had trawled through all teachers social media, collected photos etc. Created an "official" school tiktok account and then posted loads of mems featuring the teachers.

Caporegime
Happened in my kids school this week. Some kids had trawled through all teachers social media, collected photos etc. Created an "official" school tiktok account and then posted loads of mems featuring the teachers.

To be fair, if a teacher has a Facebook page that doesn't require being a friend to view their profile/photo, they are asking for trouble.

Soldato
Not watched any of the videos myself but imagine it's probably just the same energy which used to lead kids to make fun of teachers with their friends, but taken to social media. Teachers have always been made fun of, but when it's on social media its just more visible and I guess more risk of the teacher seeing it.

I admire anyone that can stick being a teacher these days. Huge workload (for those that actually try to do the job properly that is), mediocre pay, very stressful, have to deal with parents and kids with zero respect for them, and very limited in action that can be taken against disruptive and abusive kids. Then there's always the sword of damacles hanging over them that if they upset the wrong kid then they'll end up being hounded out of the school on trumped up charges of child abuse which take 6 months to disprove, after which time they're a nervous wreck and never really able to go back to 'normal'.

Soldato
they banned phones in french schools something like 3 years ago -

equally thought usoft had some shares in tiktok, so have some responsibility to make sure video tagging and take down mechanisms are effective,
already concerns about grooming in tiktok so let's make an example of it, it's not as though its contributing to UK economy anyway
some brownie points up for taking by either Boris or Keir - MI5 cyber defence team.

Soldato
I need to see the video to see what the issue is.

As I'm reading it, a pupil uploaded a clip of the teachers remote learning video...why was it bad? Did they edit it to make it sound like he said stupid stuff?

I'm so glad I went to school in a time without mobile phones though.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The article fails to mention how/why the video is abusive. Only that someone had uploaded it. You can't give readers half the story and expect them to have an opinion on the matter.

Soldato
Being a dick to teachers has happened since the dawn of time.

The old fashioned approach was to beat the offending pupil to make yourself feel better and maybe give them a bit of trauma to grow up with.

Soldato
Tiktok is utter garbage anyway. It's literally a cesspit of vacuous nonsense proliferated by the "yoof" of today.

Caporegime
Just had a letter about this from my daughter's school.

We try and limit our daughters time on her phone as she will just sit in her bedroom otherwise. At least when I was her age I was being constructive and playing Goldeneye.

Some of the stuff she does is proper cringe worthy but I guess I am getting to that point now where I am officially an old grumpy bugger.

We used to be proper bad with our French teacher. People used to throw stuff at her all the time. They got away with it because she had no control.

Soldato
A growing trend I'm sure of trolling teachers on social media such as tiktok. Wondering if you see this as a big deal or just a small issue in the bigger scheme of things. Could this become a major problem resulting in less people applying for teaching careers resulting in either teacher shortages or lower quality teaching staff. I know back in my days nothing would be tolerated in regards to mocking or undermining teachers and most other authority figures for that matter. Maybe the teachers just have to man or woman up?

The phrase is man up! Not woman up,, lol. It's just a saying it doesn't have to be gender balanced or whatever absurd turn of phrase is used.

Soldato

Man up?

Teachers are seriously limited on what they can do to tackle bad behaviour.

Hence why most leave the profession within 5 years.

I left after exactly 5 years.

Soldato
Don't look at social media, teachers should be mature enough to have stopped looking at that tripe and certainly have stopped caring what the children think of them it's not a popularity contest, it's a job.

Back
Top Bottom