Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition

Associate
GTA 3 has crashed a couple of times during missions - bloody annoying as the game mechanics aren't exactly forgiving.

Other annoyances include:
  • Cars exploding more or less instantly with next to no time to run away
  • Getting into cars is quite specific, i.e. pressing Y near a door isn't guaranteed to open it
  • Graphical artefacts here and there
  • AI is challenging, it's either very stupid or very realistic
  • You can't jump out of a car, you have to stop first
  • Rival gangs shoot the living **** out of you instantly
Crashing during missions is frustrating though, FH5 has crashed a couple of times too, I think usually during a rewind.

Game is still fun but it's dated somewhat, lots of QoL improvements in later GTAs. It certainly doesn't feel like a £50 game, I can't imagine VC or SA are any better though I did see a screenshot of SA with absolutely no fog which made it look terrible.

Last edited:
Soldato
So how does VC and SA play on PS5 then? 4K 60? I know that's a ridiculous question when you consider the hardware but on PC is abit hit n miss based on comments in PC games.

Only played SA on the series X but fidelity mode is basically unplayable to me (low framerate) and performance mode is a steaming pile of meh (runs better but at this point it just looks like a higher res PS3 “remaster” of a PS2 game.

Associate
Sweet mother of God, on the Switch it ran better and in parts looked more consistent in art direction and graphics on...PS2.

Shocking stuff, Fo76, Cyberpunk & now GTA for worst release ever.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's such a shame. I have really fond memories of each of those games, even down to remembering when my mum text me at college to say GTA3 had arrived at the house, having to wait longer for Vice City because it couldn't be released in SA due to soundtrack licensing, and finally getting to play San Andreas after my exams were done that year.

This whole release is just a tragic waste of an opportunity. Once you get past the clarity and shine of the graphics, it looks really naff and totally betrays the style and atmosphere of the originals.

Back
Top Bottom