Can you refit a broken tile?

Soldato
PVA is for cowboys there is no debate.

I believe there has been a number of prosecutions of tilers who PVA a wall before spot fixing tiles and then when water gets through and turns PVA back into a liquid, the tiles fall off and hurt people.
PVA to help seal dusty brickwork before plastering is one thing. Before tiling...Nope

Associate
Cue the debate about PVA :o

PVA has been used by a lot of people for many years (including me) and I'm sure loads will swear by it.

I only use Primer G before tiling and PVA before bonding, plastering etc.

Would I go out and buy Primer G in the OP's case? No, for a job that small and temporary I'd save the £20.

Soldato
OP
You're really over complicating things here.
It's worked on odd bits of board for years so there's no reason you can't patch it up for another few years. Sure cement board is better but if you're redoing the bathroom in future then it's not really needed.

Don't worry too much about tiles that move a little, as long as the grout isn't cracked they'll be fine.
PVA the block work and edges on the plasterboard and fill the deep bits with bonding coat so it's flat with the plasterboard, let it dry then PVA or Primer G everything you need to tile.
Stick the tiles back on, any tiles you want, if the tile is cracked then make sure you leave a space big enough to grout in, or silicone/sticks like the cracks as you put the tile on so it glues the tile together. Doesn't matter if the tiles sit a little proud.
Then grout in the tiles, leave to dry and re silicone around the tray.

There's no reason your repair can't last as long or longer than the the current tiling.
I'm only being led by other people's advice, having now spoken to a mate who is a plumber and looking at some more information online I have a much better idea of what needs to be done to tackle the issue.

Essentially i need to remove all wet/knackered plasterboard and then let the whole lot dry out, replace with more board (will be using cement board as plumber mate says he has some I can have), then just retile.
I will retile it with some new plain white tiles, we can always paint the whole lot with tile paint to have them matching.

Soldato
OP
Also further to this, the room below has a faint ammonia like smell in it when the doors are left closed for any period of time.
I imagine this shower has been leaking for some time, what alerted me to it in the first place was a streak of water had ran down the wall straight after taking a shower.

short of ripping out the wall is there anyway to treat mold (or know for sure) behind plasterboard ?

There were no signs of damage when viewing or when moving in, so previous owner has either stopped using the shower (only shower in the house) or painted over to cover up the damage.
There was an excessive amount of sealant around the bottom of the shower though, so clearly they have noticed the leak and tried to stop it with sealant.
I have a copy of the RICS homebuyers report from 2018 and the shower tiles and sealant were mentioned but nothing noted in the room below.
Various signs of leaks from loose flashing etc, but not in this particular room, however this room was wallpapered in the pictures, but now it is painted, presumably because the wallpaper was quite loud and not to everyone's taste

Back
Top Bottom