Do Bonbons start soft and then go hard?

Associate
Just been to the newsagents for my Sunday Blue Raspberry Bonbons* fix and got lots of soft chewy ones…yum. I realise now that I’ve been curious about this since I first started my addiction 50 years ago

So do bonbons start soft and go hard, or start hard and go soft?

*for those of you that don’t know, feed a quarter of this type of bonbon to a single person and it’ll have them worried next time they use the toilet for what my dad would have called “big jobs”

Soldato
The real deal, start hard but go soft overtime. The ones with the really powdery coating.

There are other brands, usually smaller in size with less power and start chewy.

Proper old skool Lemon ones are unbeatable

Soldato
Not everyone lives in the big smoke, lol

Looks like I prefer ones that are off! Oh well, it’s not like I didn’t know I was a cheapskate

I’m with you, they are better soft but it has to be the original type that take ages to go soft on their own. You buy cheaper alternatives that are advertised as chewy but they are pale imitations.

Soldato
The real deal, start hard but go soft overtime. The ones with the really powdery coating.

There are other brands, usually smaller in size with less power and start chewy.

Proper old skool Lemon ones are unbeatable

This.

You start scraping the outside with your teeth and it slowly breaks down until you have a hard center.

Man of Honour
I remember that my old man’s generic word for sweets was bon bons, but that was a gazillion years back.
Unfamiliar with the term ‘blue raspberry bon bons’ I Googled it, among the answers was this Tesco review.

Not a fan
2 stars

A Tesco Customer20th October 2020

Don’t buy these expecting a raspberry flavour like the sweet shop ones. They are just blue coloured toffee Bon bons.

Yummy
5 stars
A Tesco Customer17th April 2020

Tasty and chewy, just what a bon bon should be

HTH

Last edited:
Associate
They usually hard in the middle and soft on the outside. When i was young I used to go to my local sweet shop and buy at least two bags as the first bag usually disappear when i leave the shop.

Associate
Bag of vanilla tobacco for her, bag of bonbons for me!

Reminds me of the tobacconist we used to go to when I was at school to buy cherry rolling tobacco :D

I remember that my old man’s generic word for sweets was bon bons, but that was a gazillion years back.

You've got some French heritage which would explain that though, right?

Man of Honour
Good question and was playing on my mind. The last couple bags of BonBons from the newsagents for me have been soft. I remember them being fairly hard and chewy as a kid which i loved. These must be old.

Man of Honour
Reminds me of the tobacconist we used to go to when I was at school to buy cherry rolling tobacco :D

You've got some French heritage which would explain that though, right?

True, but I never connected the old man’s musings with that, although I recall watching a TV programme with him, and someone in the show, (it was American), mentioned buying candy.
He turned to my mother and said, “I see that the yanks are fond of bon bons.”
Whenever I heard the words bon bons I always imagined individual chocolates wrapped in silver paper.

Back
Top Bottom