'Suicide bomber' taxi explodes at Liverpool Women's Hospital

Man of Honour
The guy was in one of those "non black cab" Taxi's, presumably quick whited enough to enable rear child locking.

Fair enough, that changes things, the child lock scenario didn’t occur to me, I just had to ask my wife if her car, (3.5 y.o.) had child locks.
She replied, “Of course it has silly ********, as did the previous 3 that you bought for me brand new!
I had no idea, I’ve never activated a child lock in my life, both my kids were adult and married when my wife and I got married, she had none from her first marriage, and we’d agreed to have none ourselves.
If I picked up any of my grandkids in my Black Cab, the doors locked automatically as I moved off, and I never picked them up in my wife’s car, once I got out of the Black Cab I never looked at another steering wheel.

Soldato
? Haven't heard the Northern Ireland Protocol implicated, but (real)IRA must be a candidate, proximity to Liverpool too,
what is the next level of threat likely to be.

edit: reduced access to eu databases for terrorism can be implicated too, so, security implications of brexit - it just takes longer to make requests afaik ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Targeting a hospital in the current climate might not be atypical attack.

The latest from the local mill says that the taxi driver (who has been named, but I won't repost or show his pic here) saw the Muslim passenger messing with an explosive device in the back. The destination was not the hospital, it was in the city centre. He didn't let on, and diverted the cab towards the hospital (knowing he'd get medical attention quickly if it went south). He then jumped out of the car, locking the passenger in, and lost his ear in the process.

Several anti-terror arrests in the last 12 hours off the back of this, including unconfirmed ones in Cheshire Oaks.

Again, all speculation until the official report is released.

Caporegime
The latest from the local mill says that the taxi driver (who has been named, but I won't repost or show his pic here) saw the Muslim passenger messing with an explosive device in the back. The destination was not the hospital, it was in the city centre. He didn't let on, and diverted the cab towards the hospital (knowing he'd get medical attention quickly if it went south). He then jumped out of the car, locking the passenger in, and lost his ear in the process.

Several anti-terror arrests in the last 12 hours off the back of this, including unconfirmed ones in Cheshire Oaks.

That's sort of the story I heard as well, but what a hero that taxi driver is (if true)

Potentially he saved a fair few lives that day with his quick thinking under pressure.

Soldato
Fair enough, that changes things, the child lock scenario didn’t occur to me, I just had to ask my wife if her car, (3.5 y.o.) had child locks.
She replied, “Of course it has silly ********, as did the previous 3 that you bought for me brand new!
I had no idea, I’ve never activated a child lock in my life, both my kids were adult and married when my wife and I got married, she had none from her first marriage, and we’d agreed to have none ourselves.
If I picked up any of my grandkids in my Black Cab, the doors locked automatically as I moved off, and I never picked them up in my wife’s car, once I got out of the Black Cab I never looked at another steering wheel.

Child locks have been a thing on cars for decades. I don't know if modern cars have child locks that can be automatically engaged/disengaged from the drivers seat, or if like older cars they have a toggle switch at the edge of the door frame that's only accessible when the door is open. I suspect the former as i can't imagine a taxi driver having child locks on permanently - (would be annoying having to get out of the car to let your passengers out each time).

Soldato
The reports on the radio and TV were not clear I've just read an article of what actually happened. What a cool headed and intelligent guy the driver was, I hope he is awarded for his bravery and quick thinking.

Man of Honour
Child locks have been a thing on cars for decades. I don't know if modern cars have child locks that can be automatically engaged/disengaged from the drivers seat, or if like older cars they have a toggle switch at the edge of the door frame that's only accessible when the door is open. I suspect the former as i can't imagine a taxi driver having child locks on permanently - (would be annoying having to get out of the car to let your passengers out each time).

I'm not a fan of it but on my recent vehicles, as an anti-theft measure, locking the vehicle with the fob prevents the vehicle being unlocked from the inside (other than with the fob). On my Navara I can disable "superlock" to stop it but it is a hassle to do.

Soldato
I know I shouldn't make light of this, but I can't help picturing the (alleged?) Bomber's unease as his taxi is stuck in traffic and he's going to miss his 11AM deadline...

Soldato
Child locks - all locks in recent cars get released if car has a serious shock. - maybe be correlated with airbag ?
[ who knew
2006 The current crash sensor can usually be triggered by jacking up the rear end of the car and then dropping it. How many of us know a BMW owner that would allow you to try that method? But, if it is a real emergency, such as a baby locked inside the car on a hot day, this method is a good one to keep in mind ]

Caporegime
jason bourne probably would notice the guy not wearing a seat belt in the back and slam into a parked car

the taxi driver should watch more movies

2006 The current crash sensor can usually be triggered by jacking up the rear end of the car and then dropping it. How many of us know a BMW owner that would allow you to try that method? But, if it is a real emergency, such as a baby locked inside the car on a hot day, this method is a good one to keep in mind ]

sounds useful if your a thief or does the ignition need to be on

Soldato

Good lord if that turns out to be true this guy should be knighted for sure. I'm not sure i'd have the balls to do what he did

Permabanned
Ignition needs to be on, but not necessarily with the engine running. So if you stop in a vulnerable place and wish to remain in the vehicle with air bag protection you need the minimum of the ignition switched on.

If you're working on an air bag equipped car and doing "violent things" to it, make sure the ignition is off...

Soldato
OP
If any of this is even remotely true, our friends in 5 and at Cheltenham won't have had much sleep last night... I think the silence speaks volumes tbh. We're normally inundated with 'This was not a terror attack, everything is fine' messages. This barely got reported for most of the day it happened and it's all about staying 'vigilant' and 'waiting for the enquiry'.

Permabanned
The poor taxi driver may be in a somewhat grey area in regard to insurance cover, my motor trade policy issuing company, AXA, sent some blurb about terrorism cover which I just scanned over, but it seemed to have lots of small print...

Soldato
OP
BBC update gives credibility to the original suicide bomber hypothesis:

A Liverpool taxi driver's "heroic efforts" averted what could have been an "awful disaster" on Remembrance Sunday, the city's mayor has said.

His cab pulled up outside Liverpool Women's Hospital and exploded just before 11:00 GMT, as the national two minutes' silence was due to begin.

Joanne Anderson praised the cabbie, named locally as David Perry, for "locking the doors" before the blast.

The taxi passenger died at the scene and Mr Perry was taken to hospital.

Three men have been arrested under the Terrorism Act, while MI5 is assisting regional counter-terrorism police.
Ms Anderson said: "The taxi driver in his heroic efforts has managed to divert what could have been an absolutely awful disaster.

"We knew the taxi driver had stood out, the taxi driver locked the doors.

"Our thanks go to him."

Any votes on hats for @dLockers ? :D

Don
The poor taxi driver may be in a somewhat grey area in regard to insurance cover, my motor trade policy issuing company, AXA, sent some blurb about terrorism cover which I just scanned over, but it seemed to have lots of small print...

If the reports about what he did are accurate, I think a whip-round for a new taxi would be in order.

Back
Top Bottom