The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
We’ve had all the surveys and follow up reports done and just submitted a revised offer based on the findings. Expecting some pretty tough negotiating over the next few days but we will see. Also had a massive delay on one of our mortgages where after weeks of we will let you know they are suddenly asking for more information and evidence. Let’s hope they sort it quickly!
So hopefully we are into the finishing straight. Price negotiation was less painful than expected got a decent chunk off and finally have both mortgage offers through (we are keeping our current house and renting it out) so hopefully just some solicitors wrangling and then we can get a date!

Soldato
I've just managed to get through most of the documentation I've been sent, to find that the seller (well, the seller is deceased and is being sold by the family) sold a small amount of land to the neighbour... however, this makes my garage now a party wall and I wanted to knock down the garage to do development work... which now makes things hugely more complex. I was planning to put a fence in its place, I'm now very uncertain if I can get away with this and may have to make it a wall, they have fixed things to the party wall which would alter their construction significantly if I were to take the wall down (lean-to)

Arghhh! I'm really not sure what to do, it's not enough to pull out, it just makes things much more expensive... is this something I could negotiate on? I really don't know where to start...

Soldato
I've just managed to get through most of the documentation I've been sent, to find that the seller (well, the seller is deceased and is being sold by the family) sold a small amount of land to the neighbour... however, this makes my garage now a party wall and I wanted to knock down the garage to do development work... which now makes things hugely more complex. I was planning to put a fence in its place, I'm now very uncertain if I can get away with this and may have to make it a wall, they have fixed things to the party wall which would alter their construction significantly if I were to take the wall down (lean-to)

Arghhh! I'm really not sure what to do, it's not enough to pull out, it just makes things much more expensive... is this something I could negotiate on? I really don't know where to start...

What presumption where you under when you bought the house?

If you understood the land/boundaries differently, and they've tried to make a quick buck out of both you and a neighbour it seems reasonable to me.

Soldato

Anything can be grounds for renegotiation if it alters your value of the property put an offer in the worst they can say is no.

Soldato
What presumption where you under when you bought the house?

If you understood the land/boundaries differently, and they've tried to make a quick buck out of both you and a neighbour it seems reasonable to me.

Anything can be grounds for renegotiation if it alters your value of the property put an offer in the worst they can say is no.

After some thought over the weekend I spoke with the estate agents and asked them to try to source any paperwork alongside the sale of the land. The solicitors/conveyancers have affectively assumed that is the boundary and have sent a plan to the sellers conveyancers and asked for them to confirm - but I think they're correct - sadly the property I'm offering on isn't on the land registry which means its not hard and fast but judging by the lands boundaries it would make sense.

I think really I have two options.

1. Get the seller to get an agreement in place with the next door neighbour that the party wall can be taken down and rebuilt and any relevant making good done (they have things attached to the brick wall, well, a lean-to)
2. Negotiate a bit more off and hope I can get an agreement in place with the neighbour when I come to do it.

I was going to take the garage down and replace it with a fence, now I'm going to need to put a wall in which is a lot more costly to me. If they also disagree to the works, which being old - they probably will I can see costs of a couple of grand to get a surveyor appointed etc, plus the costs of building 5-7m of wall rather than 5-7m of fence.

Either way, I'll see how they come back to me and I'll come to a solution. The seller has moved into rented property this weekend so will not want to hold things back for much longer I expect!

Option 3 is to knock on their door on Sunday and say hi and see how the conversation goes.

Soldato
Option 3 is to knock on their door on Sunday and say hi and see how the conversation goes.
Honestly, negotiation of price with the seller/solicitor/whatever are probably less relevant here than agreeing with the neighbour. Also, agreeable or not they will be living next door to you. IMO, knock and make friends as they are the real gatekeeper. Fencekeeper?

Soldato
Honestly, negotiation of price with the seller/solicitor/whatever are probably less relevant here than agreeing with the neighbour. Also, agreeable or not they will be living next door to you. IMO, knock and make friends as they are the real gatekeeper. Fencekeeper?
We have a similar situation with the house we are buying and are in the process of discussing it with the neighbouring doctors surgery. Like you say ultimately they are the decision makers and most people are keen to get on with new neighbours so you have nothing to loose!

Soldato

We have a similar situation with the house we are buying and are in the process of discussing it with the neighbouring doctors surgery. Like you say ultimately they are the decision makers and most people are keen to get on with new neighbours so you have nothing to loose!

Yeah think thats got to be the plan really!

Soldato
Has the land already been sold, if not could you put some binding agreement in the sales.
When we purchased our house it has a shared cesspit and that property was also being sold, so written agreement drawn up for sharing of costs.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
*sigh*

We put an offer in on a house back in the first week of July. Formally accepted on the 12th July. One of the vendor's parents died around the time they put the house on the market and they needed to wait for probate etc. We were happy to delay a little as there was no rush on our part. Between then and now we'd done all the usual stuff, draft contracts sorted, mortgage deeds signed etc etc. They had some issues with their onward purchase (no chain beyond that though) which was blamed for the extra delay - only for our vendor to pull out yesterday citing "a change in personal circumstances".

17 weeks since offer acceptance.

I am beyond livid, as is their EA. They've indirectly cost us well in excess of £20k, maybe even £30k. I wish there was recourse for stuff like this but of course there isn't. :mad::mad::mad:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
*sigh*

We put an offer in on a house back in the first week of July. Formally accepted on the 12th July. One of the vendor's parents died around the time they put the house on the market and they needed to wait for probate etc. We were happy to delay a little as there was no rush on our part. Between then and now we'd done all the usual stuff, draft contracts sorted, mortgage deeds signed etc etc. They had some issues with their onward purchase (no chain beyond that though) which was blamed for the extra delay - only for our vendor to pull out yesterday citing "a change in personal circumstances".

17 weeks since offer acceptance.

I am beyond livid, as is their EA. They've indirectly cost us well in excess of £20k, maybe even £30k. I wish there was recourse for stuff like this but of course there isn't. :mad::mad::mad:

That is rough :( How are you out by such a large amount, though? (If non personal to answer). Ive completed enough purchases including a very far from simple one which dragged on and on....but never been into any of them by "much".

Soldato
Probably because house prices have risen, the poster is paying rent on where they live now and legal costs.

I would easily see that mounting to £20k

Another 6 months rent at £1300 a month while the next one goes through, £10k on house prices and £2k in legal costs down the toilet. That’s £20k right there.

Back
Top Bottom