Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Because I wanted the larger screen.
It's perfectly fine as a laptop. The size isn't the issue at all it's just touch too heavy for my liking.

I assume its lighter than most other 16" laptops, even windows one. Its hard to get a large screen thin and light. XPS17 maybe. The Mac is the better compromise imo.

Soldato
Have to say I really dislike the notch. I get that it mostly is hidden in normal use. I can't get past it. Not that it matters I'm not in the market for one.
Yep - it does seem like it’s a major visual display flaw, for not much benefit.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I've not had a Mac for about 5 years but thinking of getting one again and looking at either a Mac Mini or 14"MBP. One question, is it worth the upgrade from 8core CPU 14 core GPU to the next level up (10 and 14), are the 2 extra CPU cores going to add much?

Associate
I suppose it depends on your needs. If its a general all round use laptop, then its not going to make that much of a difference. Both will do all the tasks you ask of it. The extra cores might complete things a little quicker ... but unless you're needing that time saving, its likely not that worth it for average use.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I'm just trying to maximize the lifespan of the Laptop. there not cheap so if getting the extra 2 cores gives me another 12 months of life then it's work it.. if not then I'll get the base spec. I guess it's an impossible question to answer that the moment.

Caporegime
I'm just trying to maximize the lifespan of the Laptop. there not cheap so if getting the extra 2 cores gives me another 12 months of life then it's work it.. if not then I'll get the base spec. I guess it's an impossible question to answer that the moment.

I cant imagine that small performance uplift would make any real difference to the useful lifespan.

Soldato
It's the single threaded performance which is still king for the 'general' user and tends to be the limiting factor of things 'feeling slow' and adding more cores doesn't really change that.

Soldato
Has anyone got a decent sleeve for their 16inch? It’s a rarity that it’ll be travelling out of the house but it would be nice to have that extra protection on the occasions that it is.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Picked up my 14 inch MBP today.. very impressed with the screen and build quality is fantastic. Much better than my work Dell Lenovo. As for the notch, first thing I installed was TopNotch so it's not an issue.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Good comparison, as expected it performs really well in some comparisons and not so well in others. Battery life is a big one for a laptop, and he was only looking at raw power, not taking into account things like the screen and form factor.

Soldato
My M1 Max 10/32/64GB/2TB turned up today. Properly impressed with it so far.

2021-11-15MBPBMarks.png

Back
Top Bottom