• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC vs Console, has high GPU prices played a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
-Games are very expensive, you can spend much on games over the year. Maybe expect to spend £500-£1000 or more depends on how many games you buy.

This feels to me like an out of date and incorrect meme, but it does get raised a lot on this forum as 'fact'.

• Western AAA releases like COD, Battlefield 2042, FIFA 22etc. are largely the same price irrespective of platform. For example, Battlefield 2042's Ultimate is £99.99 on Steam vs. £109.99 on PSN or XBL. However on Xbox Live it's only £98.99 (if you have Game Pass). Even CD Keys is selling the same BF2042 Ult. for £90.99. It's a similar trend across all the different versions. Another example; the basic version of Elden Ring is £50 is all digital platforms.
  • GaaS like Fortnite, Warframe, PoE etc. are again very similar if not the same.
  • Even indies aren't that different. I recently bought Adr1ft for £3.19 is a PSN sale (normally £14.99). Again same price on Steam.
  • I know people usually include key resellers in this conversation which might be a PC advantage but then on console you have physical games which can either be sold quickly for little loss, or sometimes increase in price (i.e. Special Editions or Nintendo games).
  • Subscriptions are very similar in price; Humble Choice, PS Now, Game Pass etc. The PC has the advantage on a few higher tier subscriptions which aren't on console; EA Play Pro or Ubisoft Plus, but obviously they are more expensive.
  • I think Nintendo games are still unique in that they can hold their RRP for a long time, but to a certain degree that is offset in their value holding for much longer.

Again the PC and consoles have homogenised in certain ways and I think you see that in pricing/business model of games - particularly as we go GaaS and digital on everything. At one time I would have agreed PC games were cheaper (as were console games once), but that was a long time ago.

Soldato
Another Sarge classic from another thread...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/34718032

I had uninstalled Lone Echo months ago due to me not playing it for months. I can do Asgards at some point.

OP, don't confuse it. A GTX 1080 will run VR games very well with no issues, what so ever! in 2021.

An RTX 3090 can't even run Assassins Creed Valhalla at 4K 60fps and the card cost more than £1,500:cry:

https://www.techspot.com/news/87518-assassin-creed-valhalla-cant-hit-60fps4k-even-rtx.html

So 3090s were laughable a while ago but now they are the PCs ultimate weapon against the console peasants.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'll address some of your predictable comments.

You have lots of negatives about consoles which implies you wouldn't own one, you're kind of lost here when you have people like myself and others who are capable of a balanced viewpoint.

You should go back to playing your games at max fps on your 1440p monitor. (which you no doubt have, because 90% of people on here do. - remember, framerate is king)

Nah, I game on a 65" OLED TV, 4K 120, G-Sync or Free Sync when I used the AMD card .

Nah, I have a PS5, gifted to me just have not bothered to use it as the games I would play are apparently delayed. But not saying it's a bad console. It has a good Spiderman game , good graphics in the game. I'm just not a fan boy of consoles. Price at msrp is good as well. But it still needs to establish itself as a great console and I'm seeing a lot of hype so far.

Here's another gem from Sarge

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/34626365

"I would never recommend scapled cards and sorry to anyone pressured to pay over the odds for a card due to scapling. The situation is grim and if I had a spare card I would donate it at retail at most tbh. The 3090 is a powerfully GPU and I hope you enjoy the card if you have one. It is a good card.

Just , when I review a product , I always consider price as part of my recommendation of the product. So if I saw say a 1060 laptop on sale for £5k. I would firstly not recommend it because of the price. Not sure why "if money is no object" is relevant in a review. Price and performance are key features of tech parts."

remember guys, Price and performance are key features of tech parts... unless they are consoles right...

Seems people called you out on posting tripe in that thread too.

Yah, I'm not recommending buying a scalped card if you can avoid it. Like all gamers I'm not happy with GPU prices, but seems like prices back then are even cheap compared to now.

The 3080 is similar performance to a 3090. That's what I bought at msrp for like £690 or something. I later bought other cards, but not a single card was scalped, thankfully. When I bought the 3080 there was no LHR 3080. I read posts of many other members buying GPUs at reasonable prices and they were very happy with their purchases, so I'm glad I motivated them to hold out for those cards they got.

But tbh it's the buyers own money to buy what they want , just saying in wouldn't recommend.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another Sarge classic from another thread...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/34718032

So 3090s were laughable a while ago but now they are the PCs ultimate weapon against the console peasants.

twonk.

more classics can be found on his posts (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/34625790/)... from he's purchased a 6800 card then a 3080 and argued for ever that a 3090 was a stupid card and how you can have two 3080's and then later he purchased a 3090 he says (buy not long before that his cousin was coming over with his 3090 and wanted to sli 3090s), he owns nothing guys .. reality he even faked he's an owner on the 3090 thread https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35083150/ guessing this is his cousins card too. Then his laptop with rtx card to that is amazing for vr too, a picture from internet cropped. Seriously ignore this guy, you just have to read his previous posts from day one to understand what he is.. He's a troll.

Ok then an FE RTX 3080 would then be £650 and an FE RTX 3090 is £1400 but still, the 3090 is over double the cost of the 3080 for 4% to 10% performance increase ( although some 3090 owners will claim 15% because they have already bought the card).

The fact is 99% if those games benchmarked are already running above 60fps in 4k so you would not even enjoy the tiny performance difference of the 3090 card that costs more than double the price.

You could buy TWO 3080s for the cost of one 3090,and still have £100 left over. With the 3080 you can still play 4k 60fps. The 3090 is a rotten deal.

Red Dead Redemption 2. The difference is not much, do the math. Where is my £1,000. Kind regards?

https://youtu.be/s2Gf6fi3rlk

He comes on here to derail threads only and troll.

His best one was this... SLI caused his bottom card to run hotter than the top card....:cry::rolleyes: anyone that has done sli will know it's the top card that gets hotter. It's all a made up fantasy in his head.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35121151/

Cheers, both cards side by side in a 3 slot SLi motherboard does make the bottom card run hotter anyway, but, I would not upgrade my motherboard and CPU just to run an SLi setup that Nvidia are dropping support for.

The link costs £85 posted (4 slot). They should be offering 3 slot as well.

Also, I read you could run SLi without the link or cable with a small performance hit , that was before Nvidia blocked their new GPU drivers.

Again read his previous posts and then stick him on ignore. You are just feeding a troll that will not stop and lies all the time. I can add so many more, but you just need to go threw his posts to see the comedy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah, I game on a 65" OLED TV, 4K 120, G-Sync or Free Sync when I used the AMD card .

Nah, I have a PS5, gifted to me just have not bothered to use it as the games I would play are apparently delayed. But not saying it's a bad console. It has a good Spiderman game , good graphics in the game. I'm just not a fan boy of consoles. Price at msrp is good as well. But it still needs to establish itself as a great console and I'm seeing a lot of hype so far.

Yah, I'm not recommending buying a scalped card if you can avoid it. Like all gamers I'm not happy with GPU prices, but seems like prices back then are even cheap compared to now.

The 3080 is similar performance to a 3090. That's what I bought at msrp for like £690 or something. I later bought other cards, but not a single card was scalped, thankfully. When I bought the 3080 there was no LHR 3080. I read posts of many other members buying GPUs at reasonable prices and they were very happy with their purchases, so I'm glad I motivated them to hold out for those cards they got.

But tbh it's the buyers own money to buy what they want , just saying in wouldn't recommend.

Nice edit :cry:;)

Soldato
I don't think this kind of bullying and witch hunting on sarge is OK. Leave him alone and focus on the topic.

Go read his posts, then you may realise what he's doing.. this is a forum for tech talk, not made up rubbish and fantasy stories. Only one doing the bullying and trolling is him. Mods need to ban him and get this over with, people like him should not be welcome. Only so much rubbish people can take and as you see he keeps coming back over and over repeating the same rubbish to keep winding people up to reply to him. He a troll. No witch hunt here so go read his posts and come back and let us all know if his behaviour is acceptable. He's either a child or an adult with issues that has not grown up. That is the reality of the situation.

Soldato
Go read his posts, then you may realise what he's doing.. this is a forum for tech talk, not made up rubbish and fantasy stories. Only one doing the bullying and trolling is him. Mods need to ban him and get this over with, people like him should not be welcome. Only so much rubbish people can take and as you see he keeps coming back over and over repeating the same rubbish to keep winding people up to reply to him. He a troll. No witch hunt here so go read his posts and come back and let us all know if his behaviour is acceptable. He's either a child or an adult with issues that has not grown up. That is the reality of the situation.
Report and let the mods decide then. Yes this is a forum tech talk but in this thread alone I've seen such ill-informed posts that I would consider trolling but you don't see me digging through people's post history. That kind of cowardy behaviour only belongs on twitter. Plus it's completely off topic.

Soldato
Report and let the mods decide then. Yes this is a forum tech talk but in this thread alone I've seen such ill-informed posts that I would consider trolling but you don't see me digging through people's post history. That kind of cowardy behaviour only belongs on twitter. Plus it's completely off topic.

You're being defensive because he shared your viewpoint. If he was saying different you would be less inclined to act like you care.

Soldato
You're being defensive because he shared your viewpoint. If he was saying different you would be less inclined to act like you care.
What viewpoint? I'm only arguing quantifiable things here like fps and pixel counts, playerbases and sales. I try to not let emotions cloud my judgement.

Soldato
What viewpoint? I'm only arguing quantifiable things here like fps and pixel counts, playerbases and sales. I try to not let emotions cloud my judgement.

As you now see his trolling has derailed another thread, this is his game. So well done for supporting him. Also he can not have a true argument or discusiion on any topic, he keeps repeating the same rubbish and even when people have made it clear to him that he is comparing apples to oranges. Yes we know a pc with a highend GPU is better than a console. But as you will keep reading he keeps repeating the same thing like hes talking to himself.

I replied to him here on this thread, he played he didn't read them as others posts that he knows he can't troll :-

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...s-played-a-part.18940511/page-3#post-35230321

Even agreed with him here :-

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...s-played-a-part.18940511/page-3#post-35230332

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Will look forward to playing some titles on console when I meet up with mates. They tend to buy the current gen stuff before me, I own a PS4 and was impressed with the games I played on it.

Would have to agree on the OP vague observation, but would add that many PC gamers buy a console regardless or live in a household with access to one. There will also be a chunk of PC gamers that sourced a console to tie them over in the short term until they can get the GPU that would trigger a future upgrade.

That being quite a captain obvious mention, it highlights a massive overlap between cohorts before you reach the polar factions that dislike one another.

Last edited:
Soldato
This feels to me like an out of date and incorrect meme, but it does get raised a lot on this forum as 'fact'.

• Western AAA releases like COD, Battlefield 2042, FIFA 22etc. are largely the same price irrespective of platform. For example, Battlefield 2042's Ultimate is £99.99 on Steam vs. £109.99 on PSN or XBL. However on Xbox Live it's only £98.99 (if you have Game Pass). Even CD Keys is selling the same BF2042 Ult. for £90.99. It's a similar trend across all the different versions. Another example; the basic version of Elden Ring is £50 is all digital platforms.
  • GaaS like Fortnite, Warframe, PoE etc. are again very similar if not the same.
  • Even indies aren't that different. I recently bought Adr1ft for £3.19 is a PSN sale (normally £14.99). Again same price on Steam.
  • I know people usually include key resellers in this conversation which might be a PC advantage but then on console you have physical games which can either be sold quickly for little loss, or sometimes increase in price (i.e. Special Editions or Nintendo games).
  • Subscriptions are very similar in price; Humble Choice, PS Now, Game Pass etc. The PC has the advantage on a few higher tier subscriptions which aren't on console; EA Play Pro or Ubisoft Plus, but obviously they are more expensive.
  • I think Nintendo games are still unique in that they can hold their RRP for a long time, but to a certain degree that is offset in their value holding for much longer.

Again the PC and consoles have homogenised in certain ways and I think you see that in pricing/business model of games - particularly as we go GaaS and digital on everything. At one time I would have agreed PC games were cheaper (as were console games once), but that was a long time ago.

The thing is with COD etc,. they are primarily multiplayer games and MP on consoles requires a subscription.

Also when it comes to hardware cost, a common theme I see is yes people get the console for a good price but then spend a ton on a new TV to go with it as well as accessories, can even see this on OCUK, people buying tv's that cost a grand or more to make the console look its best, then £300 on a storage expansion, more on special headsets etc. I dont do this as I hook up to my PC monitor, and try to share as much accessories as possible between the two.

Regarding games themselves, steam usually is better value for games I play, the pattern I tend to notice is the games will come out on console first, and DLC will be sold separately, then later game comes to steam, and all DLC is included within the game, this is really common for Final Fantasy games e.g.

I do accept your other points though, just I rarely trade in games as I feel like its a scam, shop sells used games for almost same price as new yet buy them off you for a fraction. If I sell a game it goes on ebay or another online marketplace. I have now decided though to go full digital for console and PC, it saves so much space in my flat to not have to store physical games in their cheap flimsy cases.

Associate
The thing is with COD etc,. they are primarily multiplayer games and MP on consoles requires a subscription.

Also when it comes to hardware cost, a common theme I see is yes people get the console for a good price but then spend a ton on a new TV to go with it as well as accessories, can even see this on OCUK, people buying tv's that cost a grand or more to make the console look its best, then £300 on a storage expansion, more on special headsets etc. I dont do this as I hook up to my PC monitor, and try to share as much accessories as possible between the two.

Regarding games themselves, steam usually is better value for games I play, the pattern I tend to notice is the games will come out on console first, and DLC will be sold separately, then later game comes to steam, and all DLC is included within the game, this is really common for Final Fantasy games e.g.

I do accept your other points though, just I rarely trade in games as I feel like its a scam, shop sells used games for almost same price as new yet buy them off you for a fraction. If I sell a game it goes on ebay or another online marketplace. I have now decided though to go full digital for console and PC, it saves so much space in my flat to not have to store physical games in their cheap flimsy cases.

To be honest monitors can be quite pricey as well.
PSN subscription can be found for around 30 quid yearly if people can be bothered to look/wait for sales, wouldn't call it cheap but it's definitely blown out of proportion.

Associate
To be honest monitors can be quite pricey as well.
PSN subscription can be found for around 30 quid yearly if people can be bothered to look/wait for sales, wouldn't call it cheap but it's definitely blown out of proportion.
Plus the games you get with it make it more than worth the £30/year. I don't really think of it as paying to play online because it's something I would get for the games anyway.

Associate

Absolutely paid multiplayer is a con on consoles, even excluding the free games and some other benefits included. But single player/PVE AAA games like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry are pretty much going to be the same cost on with no subscription costs. The person I quoted makes it sound like you're paying SNK Neo Geo AES games prices on console, or something!

In terms of hardware, sure there are going to be accessories for both PC and consoles. In my experience I've always spent way more on PC accessories than console simply because there are more things to buy or needed, but I could accept that is subjective. I think most houses will have a TV before they have an PC oriented display or monitor. Therefore making it more likely the PC will need something purchased, i.e. your 50" lounge TV isn't going to make a great experience for Excel spreadsheets.

I'm with you on digital - I prefer the convenience. I personally only buy physical for Nintendo formats now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom