Patio Prices

Soldato
Getting 5m2 patio quotes and just wanted to ask if the prices I'm getting are ok. I've had 4 quotes now and they range from 2k to 10k with the others around the 5k mark.

The job involves ripping up existing decking, digging about a foot of earth out, laying a base and laying indian sandstone. I know prices have gone up considerably over the past year but it's the difference in price quotes that worry me. The 2k seems dodgy and 10k seems excessive so are the 5k quotes competitive today?. I've seen their work on FB and the two 5k quotes use Checkatrade with good reviews.

Soldato
Is it just 5m2?
Going rate for 'normal' indian sandstone is about £130 to £150 per m2
On small jobs it will be more. Some slabs will only come in 10 or 15 m2 packs

Is there easy access to the work area? if so with a mini digger a 5m2 sand stone patio is easily done in 1 to 2 days

Soldato
OP
Is it just 5m2?
Going rate for 'normal' indian sandstone is about £130 to £150 per m2
On small jobs it will be more. Some slabs will only come in 10 or 15 m2 packs

Is there easy access to the work area? if so with a mini digger a 5m2 sand stone patio is easily done in 1 to 2 days
Yes, patio is only 5 x 5, no access for digger though.

Associate
we just had around 50 sqm porcelain patio fitted which cost us £8600. This was a price set in January though and materials were delivered to site in March and job started and completed in July.

Associate
I'm having 40 sqm in porcelain done in the new year. It's going to be £7300. Does include a fair bit of digging out, and block work edging.

Soldato
we just had around 50 sqm porcelain patio fitted which cost us £8600. This was a price set in January though and materials were delivered to site in March and job started and completed in July.

I'm having 40 sqm in porcelain done in the new year. It's going to be £7300. Does include a fair bit of digging out, and block work edging.

If you dont mind me asking chaps, what is the name/brand of the porcelain tiles you had or getting laid?
Only asking as both of you are paying nearly £180 per m2, which seems a bit high imo. (unless its one of the big brand names)

I am not having a dig, but some builders add a premium for porcelain, as its seen as expensive and so they know people are expecting a high cost and will charge more just for the sake of it.

We can source 900 x 600 porcelain tiles for £40 per m2 inc. vat and usually charge £100 per m2 installation (inc. excavation)

Associate
If you dont mind me asking chaps, what is the name/brand of the porcelain tiles you had or getting laid?
Only asking as both of you are paying nearly £180 per m2, which seems a bit high imo. (unless its one of the big brand names)

I am not having a dig, but some builders add a premium for porcelain, as its seen as expensive and so they know people are expecting a high cost and will charge more just for the sake of it.

We can source 900 x 600 porcelain tiles for £40 per m2 inc. vat and usually charge £100 per m2 installation (inc. excavation)

I'm getting tiles made by Procelpave, @ about £38 msq . A lot of the cost in my case will be removing and disposing of waste, the area where the patio is going is currently a raised lawn. I'm also having some sleepers removed and replaced with blocks and some modifications to drainage. The chap who is doing it is probably on the more expensive end of the scale, however I was really impressed with him. Turning up to quote when he said he would, he gave some decent advice on things I hadn't thought about. I normally do all the work on my house myself this is the first time I've ever paid someone to do something.

Associate

Hammer grey (I seem to remember), 900x600x20mm with dark grey border, 4 metre step to patio doors.

Soldato
Thread bump, I've just had a quote and need to sense check. Initially it felt very expensive but looking online and breaking it down it does seem fine in the end? It's being done by the grounds team who did the foundations for our extension so they've already been on site and we're happy with the quality of work.

100m2 of porcelain slabs (supply and fit)
Foundations and retaining walls for steps and 1 side of the garden
Fit channel drains along the new extension
Concrete base for a shed (8x6ft)
About 5m of sleepers
Remove about 15 tree stumps, bring up to flat level, rotavate garden (roughly 30sqm), supply 20 tonnes of topsoil, lay new turf

£17.5k+VAT

Based on £100sqm for the slabs, plus £40sqm for ground prep that's £14k, then all the other garden bits, sleepers and the shed base it feels okay now thinking about it.

Slabs are £25sqm as we've picked them, based in the SE so an expensive area.

They said it would take about 3 weeks and there are 3 of them, so that's why the costs initially seemed high - I was thinking £1k each a week would be £9k, plus materials at about £4k but looking at the price per sqm and the overall work it now seems okay?

Last edited:
Associate
Based in the SE and had a quote for Indian sand stone for a similar rate but no digging required as it was a replacement and had already been prepped and that was about 4k, prices will defo differ based on area of the country too. But the 5k prices sounds safer then the 2k job that probably be as well done it finished at all for that price

Soldato
We've just had a patio laid. All the old decking ripped up and replaced with slabs and also a path extending round the sun room and down the side of the house. Cost about 5k.

We did get a reasonable price though as we had a new lawn laid and a block paved driveway done at the same time.

Last edited:
Soldato
with all the rain, just looking at the seeming absence of drainage off of the (newly bleach cleaned) patio -
looking it up I hadn't appreciated there is meant to be a fall of some 40mm 1:80 off of the ~3m have going away from house.

Back
Top Bottom