Do you use any sort of antivirus software?

Associate
My bro swears by avast free antivirus, i used to use it but now just use the built in windows defender, i havent had a virus for years anyway (touch wood) so dont really think i need a antivirus clogging up my system.

Do you use any sort of antivirus software? in this day and age is the windows defender good enough?

Whats your thoughts?

Soldato
No, since Windows 7 I've just used whatever the windows default settings are which is fine for my use case as I dont download and install dodgy software or surf 'dodgy' websites.

Soldato
Used to love Avast back in the XP/7 days but then they went in a bad direction. Moved to Microsoft Security Essentials and then stuck with the built in Defender for 10 and onwards.

Associate
OP
Phew, makes me a bit happier knowing my choice not to use antivirus lol i never go on dodgy sites and always buy my games, used to get the odd jolly roger a couple of years ago lol but not anymore.

Associate
I just use Windows defender. I don't want to install any unnecessary bloatware. I don't think there is any need for anything else for home use.

I imagine most AV companies make most of their sales through OEMs - New Dell computers always come pre-installed with McAfee for example - which then nags you to subscribe! Also, when I was in John Lewis the other day I overheard a sales rep advising a customer to buy third party AV software too.

Associate
Kaspersky total internet security.
I concur Defender should be sufficient for most users. I have kaspersky for the additional features it has, and ultimately is better than defender for any site I inadvertently may get directed too that may contain / install spyware.

Associate
Perhaps off topic, but how do virus' transfer these days?
Can you get a virus by simply browsing the internet (via the latest version of Chrome)...not "downloading" or executing anything else...if so, how?

Man of Honour
Perhaps off topic, but how do virus' transfer these days?
Can you get a virus by simply browsing the internet (via the latest version of Chrome)...not "downloading" or executing anything else...if so, how?
Yes you can via infected adverts on legitimate websites, which is another reason to have an adblocker as well as AV.

Soldato
Windows Defender is all you need nowadays for a home computer. I say this as someone who regularly plays with malware as a part of my job and Defender catches stuff well in advance of other AV tools.

Back
Top Bottom