Rate the 2021 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm not sure how people are arguing that what Max did was OK. Of course he didn't turn into Hamilton, he just came into the corner far too fast and didn't make any real attempt to stay on the track once he was ahead of Hamilton. He was only ahead of Hamilton because he carried too much speed in (which he will have known he was doing). Being ahead of the other car coming into the corner at the expense of completely missing it is not within the rules.

Soldato
If Hamilton was going at a speed that would've easily made the corner, why didn't he just brake a bit more and let Max shoot past him? We see it happen at most races when one car overtakes another too fast, goes deep and leaves space for the other car to take the position back. I thought they were both going too fast to make the corner but once off the track it did look like Max pushed him wider.

That probably wouldn't have worked, as by the time Hamilton has shed the speed, Verstappen puts his foot down and although he goes off track, he keeps his momentum and out-accelerates Hamilton in order to keep his place and rejoin the track ahead.

It's the same thing of forcing the other driver to take avoiding action or have a crash. That avoiding action ensures that Hamilton can't pass, and Verstappen keeps the place.

Transmission breaker
Don
I'm not sure how people are arguing that what Max did was OK. Of course he didn't turn into Hamilton, he just came into the corner far too fast and didn't make any real attempt to stay on the track once he was ahead of Hamilton. He was only ahead of Hamilton because he carried too much speed in (which he will have known he was doing). Being ahead of the other car coming into the corner at the expense of completely missing it is not within the rules.

This - A million times.

Soldato
Makes me laugh all these comments about a conspiracy, missing footage that etc etc. That anyone armed with just an armchair and remote think they have more knowledge, technical ability and have anything like the resources the stewards have at the track have are only kidding themselves.
Personally I wish they'd take up some other sport, like tiddlywinks and leave f1 to the real fans...

Man of Honour
Funny how Verstappen discovers that his steering wheel can turn even more once he's past the apex... and the normal racing line...

Didn't brake enough, didn't turn enough. Deliberate? Most likely.

He blamed having worn tyres after the race. 7 laps after fitting new hard tyres. Red Bull doesn't munch it's tyres that much? Strange that it only happened the lap that Hamilton was alongside/infront of him. Every other lap of the race was fine. :rolleyes:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Makes me laugh all these comments about a conspiracy, missing footage that etc etc. That anyone armed with just an armchair and remote think they have more knowledge, technical ability and have anything like the resources the stewards have at the track have are only kidding themselves.
Personally I wish they'd take up some other sport, like tiddlywinks and leave f1 to the real fans...
Whilst I agree, that argument is a straw man.

The stewards are often wrong... even with all the resources and technical ability.

Do I believe the crazy conspiracy theories? No, but there's nothing wrong with speculation.

Soldato
Whilst I'm relaxed about their not being a penalty for Max in this situation - as Lewis got ahead anyway later on, I again dislike the precedence that seems to keep being set.

If that had been a tight hairpin, and Max had made no effort to make the corner having braked too late and forced Lewis off the track. Would that be fine? What about if there was a wall there? Let's say they touched and Lewis went into the wall - would Mercedes have been in the right to throw a massively wobbly like RedBull did at Lewis' Silverstone overtake?
Then take the example that Malt Vinegar linked (from Austria iirc?). Lewis was ahead and only overtaken once already turning into the corner - and then only because the Redbull had braked significantly later and missed the apex by a country mile.

It seems every bit of close racing that ends up with contact, or cars being off the track is dealt with in a completely different way. There doesn't appear to be a consistent behaviour from the Stewards - not that this comes as a surprise when they can't even manage a consistent ruling around track limits... Get's even more frustrating when you hear the commentators one minute criticise a driver for not leaving any room, and then the next minute mention how the driver on the inside is allowed to loosen his line to run the other driver wide :p

I fully expect Lewis to be very nervous coming up against Max for the rest of the season. He can't afford a collision, whilst Max has shown on more than one occasion he's quite happy for both cars to be taken out whilst he's ahead in the points. I hope we don't end up with a championship decider that get's remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Commissario
It seems every bit of close racing that ends up with contact, or cars being off the track is dealt with in a completely different way. There doesn't appear to be a consistent behaviour from the Stewards
This is what frustrates me. Wasn't there a race earlier this year where multiple drivers received penalties for hard racing which ended up with someone being pushed off the track?

Caporegime
Even if Max's claim was that he under-steered/couldn't make the corner, its obvious then that Max gained an advantage by breaking too late and then leaving the track.

That wasn't racing. It was simply cheating

Caporegime
Oh, for goodness sake. Not keen on this kind of post-race review:

The stewards should, imo, have dealt with it at the time but do we really want races raked over in this manner after the fact?

I imagine this is in retaliation to Red Bull doing similar.

You can't really blame Mercedes. It was as obvious a penalty as you could get in a race.

Commissario
Oh, for goodness sake. Not keen on this kind of post-race review:

The stewards should, imo, have dealt with it at the time but do we really want races raked over in this manner after the fact?

Called it!

It was noted by the stewards and deemed to have no investigation necessary.

So does that mean it’s an appealable decision when the footage finally appears? Because it could well be considered ‘new’ evidence.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Whoever loses the constructors this year is going to be bitter as hell. Kind of want Mercedes to win it simply because Horner is such a little toad when it comes to this sort of thing.

Soldato
I imagine this is in retaliation to Red Bull doing similar.

You can't really blame Mercedes. It was as obvious a penalty as you could get in a race.

Toto did say after what Red Bull had been doing, there was no more "gentlemen's agreement". If this new information actually triggers an investigation and they actually look at camera views and telemetry, maybe something will come of it and Hamilton will get a few more points.

It's been a long time since we've had a season where every point counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom