Sitting with home fans to support the away team?

Soldato
I want to see the match but the away allocation was pitiful so the only option is to sit with the home fans, just not sure I can sit on my hands for 90 minutes - lol

Anyone else done this, what was the experience like?

Don
I want to see the match but the away allocation was pitiful so the only option is to sit with the home fans, just not sure I can sit on my hands for 90 minutes - lol

Anyone else done this, what was the experience like?
I used to regularly sit in the home end at Selhurst Park with my dad as a kid when Liverpool were playing Palace or Wimbledon with no issues. Back then it wasn't that uncommon though and there was often quite a few Liverpool supporters in 3/4 full stands.

I'm not sure I'd fancy sitting with opposition fans now, certainly if I couldn't control my reactions.

Soldato
OP
I used to regularly sit in the home end at Selhurst Park with my dad as a kid when Liverpool were playing Palace or Wimbledon with no issues. Back then it wasn't that uncommon though and there was often quite a few Liverpool supporters in 3/4 full stands.

I'm not sure I'd fancy sitting with opposition fans now, certainly if I couldn't control my reactions.

I know they kick fans out nowadays if sat in wrong stands if they are wearing opposing colours etc.

Kids are going with me, told them to sit down and shut up but just think it will take away some of the experience not being able to cheer for the team, celebrate etc but can secretly laugh on the inside.

Don
I know they kick fans out nowadays if sat in wrong stands if they are wearing opposing colours etc.

Kids are going with me, told them to sit down and shut up but just think it will take away some of the experience not being able to cheer for the team, celebrate etc but can secretly laugh on the inside.
Depending on how packed the ground is and how close you're sitting to the away fans, you might be able to get away with some celebrations. I know the other month when Liverpool played Watford there were quite a few Liverpool fans sat in the home end but close to the away end - you can see them jumping up celebrating when we scored.

If the stand isn't full and you've got a bit of space around you and people can see you're with your kids then I think you'll be fine.

Soldato
I remember using a mates season ticket at the Etihad to watch a Manchester derby and went with another mates girlfriend who was a city fan.

That was a brutal day out, especially as i was in a horrendous state following a night out and not quite as controlled as i should've been. Luckily (in a way), City won 1-0 and so i didn't risk cheering at the wrong time.

Man of Honour
Not being able to celebrate and fully enjoy the atmosphere defeats the point of a live game for me, rather find a local pub for home fans. Only exceptions would be important games, finals, a derby etc.

Permabanned
Been to White hart lane and the new stadium a few times as a Liverpool fan as boss has season tickets. Its enjoyable as all large stadiums/big events are but also a bit strange and not as good as being in the correct "end". :)

Soldato
Went to Maine Road with my City supporting uncle and sat in the Kippax stand when Liverpool played (I did have to wear jeans despite wearing shorts for 365 days a year due to a Liverpool tattoo on my leg), I managed to sit on my hands but witnessed a few Liverpool fans cheer when Didi Hamann scored and they got seven shades of excrement kicked out of them.

I know it happens quite a bit but if you can't cheer and jump about when your team score it sort of defeats the purpose of going tbh.

Associate
I did this at a Millwall game. Even couldn't contain myself when Kevin Cooper scored against them from 20 yards out. All I got were a few funny stares from those near to me. I guess it depends if you are sat with the more vociferous supporters or in the family stand though!

Man of Honour
I've watched Arsenal at St Mary's a couple of times.
Also had groups of Bayern, FC Koln and Man City fans in our home section. The Man City fans got asked to keep a lid on it because they went 3-0 up in the first half and were starting to to provoke a bit of a reaction.

I think it's generally fine as long as you are sensible.

Soldato
Did it at the New York stadium when Sheffield United played Rotherham United, my Rotherham supporting mate got me a ticket in their end. Never again, no-one knew I was a Blades fan but it just wasn't enjoyable. We went 1 nil up and obviously couldn't celebrate then had to stand up when they came from behind and won the match. Sitting down would have mate it obvious I wasn't a Rotherham fan.

Man of Honour
My younger son and his son are raving Gooners, and this season have finally admitted that my following of West Ham is no longer the action of a demented fool.
However, a couple of years ago my kid invited me to join him and my grandson at The Emirates to watch AFC v WHU, the loser buying dinner at a restaurant of the winner’s choosing, a draw meaning that we go 50/50.
Arsenal won, 3 or 4-1 and when the Hammers goal went in I stood up and punched the air.
My kid pulled me back down and hissed, “What ARE you like, you silly old *******?”
My kid the bon viveur and gourmand, (the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree), opted for The Almeida, off Upper Street, where we were joined by my wife, my daughter-in-law and granddaughter.
It set me back just shy of £400, but WHU could lose every week if it meant that I could dine with my kid and his family.

Soldato

I had a bet with a work colleague a few years ago. He is a Liverpool fan and I am a Palace fan. The loser had to buy 2 tickets for us to sit in the end of the other guy's team at the forthcoming Palace v Liverpool game. I lost the bet and had to sit with the Liverpool fans in the away end at Selhurst. Palace won though but I had to sit on my hands when they scored!

Back
Top Bottom