Alarm system?

Associate
My mum is a bit shook up and worried about return visits, as am I. So I'm encouraging her to get the alarm.

I need to cover the house and a detached garage. I was thinking one of the internal room sensors, maybe the one with a camera, could go inside the garage? Or maybe one of the door/window sensors could actually go on the garage door itself? It's an up and over door, but I'm hoping the insurance will replace it as its massively bent out of shape. They're coming out tomorrow morning to assess the damage.

I'm wondering if a roller shutter type door is more secure...

I priced up a kit with a few extra sensors and it came to £770ish. Does anyone have any codes? ;)

Associate
£789 inc VAT.

Incidentally just had some Verisure guys knocking on houses on the estate. Humoured them and they said it would probably be £800 for kit and installation, and +£40 a month for monitoring :eek:

That's a good price that. Did you start with a kit and add extras? I'm pricing up a system and it's already at £770 and I don't have as many sensors as you have pictured. :confused:

Another website/store says you don't need door sensors when a room is also covered with a pir sensor. Would you agree? The rooms in question are a conservatory and kitchen, both with external doors.

Last edited:
Associate
That's a good price that. Did you start with a kit and add extras? I'm pricing up a system and it's already at £770 and I don't have as many sensors as you have pictured. :confused:

Another website/store says you don't need door sensors when a room is also covered with a pir sensor. Would you agree? The rooms in question are a conservatory and kitchen, both with external doors.

Yes I got the Home Hub 2 Kit with the Key Remotes, then an extra 3 DoorProtects, 4 MotionProtects, KeyPadPlus, and 3 tags.

The Hub2Plus with extra connectivity wasn't worth the extra for a small home.

About having door sensors with PIR coverage. I like having all external doors with door sensors as with Ajax you can set it so that the system does an integrity check when you set the alarm. So in the situation where you have left a door open and tried to arm it, it will either alert you that there is a door left open and will ask if you want to arm anyway. Or straight refuse to alarm until it has been resolved.

Associate
Also with my setup. I only have the MotionCam Sensor in my double garage, no sensors on the garage doors.
Incidentally I forgot to unset the alarm when I entered through the garage doors the other night. Alerted straight away and semi useful images, was also pitch black btw.

rMTAckZ.png

Associate
That's really helpful. Thank you.

Did you go for the regular door sensors, or the ones with vibration & impact detection?

My mum has given me the go-ahead to order a system. So I'm going to be fine tuning the quote later this evening.

Last edited:
Associate
That's really helpful. Thank you.

Did you go for the regular door sensors, or the ones with vibration & impact detection?

My mum has given me the go-ahead to order a system. So I'm going to be fine tuning the quote later this evening.

I hope you mom is ok after the shock. Would be interested in seeing your finally order/cost when you decide on what you will get for your moms house. Need to start thinking about a house alarm myself...

Associate
I have the below in my basket:

Ajax Wireless Alarm House Hub 2 Kit 3 DoubleDeck MotionCam - Black - £354.50 (Doubledeck version as the other is oos) [Living Room and Dining Room IR/cam sensor. Keypad]
Ajax CombiProtect - PIR & Glass Break - Black - £65.50 [Conservatory]
Ajax MotionCam - Black - £78.75 [Garage]
Ajax DoorProtect Plus - Door Contact - Black x2 - £89 [3 entrances. 3rd sensor in kit]
Ajax MotionProtect - PIR - Black - £36.75 [Kitchen]
Ajax Button - Black - £31.50 [Panic alarm]
Ajax Holder for Button/Double Button- White x2 - £5.30

Total = £661.30 exc vat

£793.56 inc vat

I'd rather it was closer to £700, so I'm probably going to drop an item or two, or change them.

Last edited:
Associate
If you want to save some money don't bother with the MotionCams. They are only really designed for visual verification of intrusion and not intruder identification. I have 2 in my system, one that covers my bifold doors and MotionCam Outdoors (which was a review unit from Ajax) that covers the gateway down the side of my house.

Funnily since I started installing and reviewing Ajax kit, I have found that I lean more towards external perimeter protection (especially at night) than internal. I have a DualCurtain Outdoor across the entire rear of my house and a MotionCam Outdoor down the side. So access to the side or rear of my premises is pretty hard, which only really leaves the front. The side and rear are also covered by HikCCTV and the front has 3 Hik cameras. The idea is that I want to catch any potential intruder before they start to try and force entry to my property, not after.

That said I replaced a Honeywell Flex with wired PIRs with my Ajax and connected the existing PIRs to a MultiTransmitter so my security is a blend of wired and wireless.

Associate
Any idea if CCTVdirect ever do Black Friday offers? If not, I'll probably go ahead and order this week rather than wait.

Soldato
I'm liking the look of the ajax kit but does it integrate with any good doorbell cameras? I've been using the Nest Hello for about 2 years, which has worked nicely. I could keep it and run both systems, but just wondering if there's a better way.

Soldato
Do they offer better quality than the Nest Hello? Must admit I've not heard of Dahua or Hikvision, but then I hadn't heard of Ajax till recently.

Alternatively I could just run both systems side by side for a bit and see how I get on. Ajax for the primary home security side, and the Nest for footage.

Soldato
Do they offer better quality than the Nest Hello? Must admit I've not heard of Dahua or Hikvision, but then I hadn't heard of Ajax till recently.

Alternatively I could just run both systems side by side for a bit and see how I get on. Ajax for the primary home security side, and the Nest for footage.

Better quality really depends on what you’re looking for. Hikvision are the worlds largest manufacturer of IP cameras and Dahua are the worlds largest manufacturer of analog cameras and the world No. 2 in IP cameras so they make a lot of cameras. On image quality, certainly they are better than Nest, Ring etc. but I do think the Nest and Ring apps are just that bit better in terms of rapidly contacting you when someone presses the doorbell.

Soldato
Better quality really depends on what you’re looking for. Hikvision are the worlds largest manufacturer of IP cameras and Dahua are the worlds largest manufacturer of analog cameras and the world No. 2 in IP cameras so they make a lot of cameras. On image quality, certainly they are better than Nest, Ring etc. but I do think the Nest and Ring apps are just that bit better in terms of rapidly contacting you when someone presses the doorbell.
Ah, with how rapid most delivery drivers are now I seem to miss them on my Nest anyway! I'll look at more reviews and comparisons, cheers for the heads up on the responsiveness though. Jokes aside, that is important to me.

Back
Top Bottom