Amazon Prime !!!!

Soldato
I suspect it's partly a negotiating tactic with Visa.

I guess, although who has more to lose? Does Amazon make up a large % of Visa's income compared to how many people use Visa and might leave Amazon? I'd imagine Visa are thinking, fine, don't accept us. You'll lose more customers from not accepting Visa than we will lose from fees?

But I'm probably way off, I guess at the end of the day it's all £ related and no one wants to lose out, so as you say they'll probably strike a compromise at some point.

Good time to announce it though from Amazon's viewpoint, get it out there before Christmas, see if people proactively move away from Visa before Christmas shopping/black friday.

Man of Honour
Only cards I use on Amazon are Visa Debit and Mastercard, so I'm not affected by this. Apparently its due to the charges involved in a Visa credit card transaction, which I guess you can understand what with Amazon being a relatively small company that doesnt have a huge amount of financial clout and makes very little money themselves.....oh..wait

Soldato
Just received an email from Amazon

Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one.

Think I only have one visa credit card

Doh was typing didn't see above post

Man of Honour
Ordered some things from Amazon on Thursday using Prime, which were supposed to be here Friday.

For some reason they used royal mails 24 hour guaranteed service.

When I order from Amazon and then see a Royal Mail delivery my head drops.
Even though I'm talking to them on my RING and asking nicely to put it in my safe space that is covered by CCTV they won't do it and take the package away.

Caporegime
I do wonder if it's a sneaky tactic to try and push more people to apply for their card?

I think they are fed up with Visa's artificial high processing charges. Amazon introduced a 0.5% surcharge for Visa credit cards in other countries last month, I presume there must be something in UK law which means they cant do that here?

When you sell £20.63bn of stuff to the UK last year, even if only 25% was visa credit card purchases Amazon might be paying over £50m in Visa processing fees.

Strangely as a small business Visa is always the cheapest credit card processing fee behind Mastercard and American Express. I can only presume Visa charges Amazon more than the other 2 by some margin.

Back
Top Bottom