Anyone knowledgeable about treadmills?

Soldato
I've been thinking about getting a treadmill. I've been trying to do some research but there's really too much choice and the reviews available haven't helped much.

I don't want to spend over £1,000, and preferably nearer £500.

I'm wanting to get my fitness up and my weight down a bit without getting cold a wet.

Does anyone have any recommendations to help narrow things down, or suggestions about online resources that can be trusted?

Thanks.

Soldato
I bought an ex gym commercial tredmill off ebay. I found a lot of the shop ones too narrow and didn't feel that good..
At least with a commercial one you know its gonna last.

Think we paid about 700

Soldato
If you're gonna spend close to £1000 then may as well join a gym and then you get access to more than just a treadmill and will make you lose weight, tone up faster.

Don't forget though you can't outrun a bad diet.

Associate
Either get a second hand one or, I hate to say it, but follow the above advice and join a gym.

The cheaper ones are normally far too narrow and short so they're alright for some light walking but normally fall apart (metaphorically rather than literally) when you try for anything faster.

Think of it this way, winter weather isn't going to last that long so you're going to use it for 3 months then it's going to be enough to go outside where it's less tedious and it's free. Or if you're planning on taking running seriously then get some proper gear and go out. Trust me, once you get going you won't feel the cold.

Join a gym for a month and have access to all the machines and then re-evaluate if you could really keep going on a treadmill alone.

Soldato
Join a gym for a month and have access to all the machines and then re-evaluate if you could really keep going on a treadmill alone.

That's good advice. I really despise indoor cardio (possibly with the exception of rowing). Training for a few marathons i could happily run 20 miles outside, but put me on a treadmill and i'm just staring at the timers and by 5k i'm done!

Soldato
OP
If I do get a treadmill, it'll be as an alternative to running outside. There is zero chance I'll be joining a gym.

I'm not trying to 'outrun' my diet. The weight I'd like to lose and keep off is only about 10lbs. I'll be losing that, treadmill or not.

I may well look for something secondhand (there are plenty out there). Before I can do that I still need to know what I'm looking at. I've got space for something like the Reebok GT40s (which comes up a lot in searches), but not anything 'commercial'.

It's quite possible I won't bother, but I'd like to not bother in an informed way.

Soldato
Work commitments stop me from going to the gym so I've been building my own. Ebay can be really good for commercial ex gym stuff and prices are fairly stable to if it doesn't suit sell it on again.

Footprint wise commercial stuff isn't "that" much bigger.. They just weigh a ton more

Soldato
OP
I'd need something where the running deck folds up, as most of the domestic ones seem to. If it wasn't for that, I'd agree that something commercial would be a good option.

Back
Top Bottom