Amazon stop accepting Visa Credit cards from 19th Jan 22??!

Soldato
Not everyone carrys a wallet with cards now a days. I do because it has mine and GFs joint card but most people just carry a phone.

Tapping a phone on a screen then tilting it to use faceID to complete authentication is much quicker than carrying a wallet and messing around getting cards out.
Apple Wallet you can store all the cards / passes you need
Till your phone dies. Or your bank isn't compatible with mobile pay. Or mobile pay fails and you need to fall back on chip and pin. Or the transaction value is too high.

Associate
gift-repupublic-gr670001-first-world-problems-the-game-_1_.jpg

Soldato
OP
Till your phone dies. Or your bank isn't compatible with mobile pay. Or mobile pay fails and you need to fall back on chip and pin. Or the transaction value is too high.
Theres a small powerbank always in my backpack thats good for about 4 charges (so over a week)
My banks are compatible with Apple pay and have the cards on my phone. Mobile pay has never failed for me.
Yes, if the value is too high this is where card and PIN is required

Soldato
Theres a small powerbank always in my backpack thats good for about 4 charges (so over a week)
My banks are compatible with Apple pay and have the cards on my phone. Mobile pay has never failed for me.
Yes, if the value is too high this is where card and PIN is required
Lol dude who argues convenience and speed of mobile pay carriers around a back pack of accessories, including the very card he is saying isn't convenient :o:D

Soldato
OP
Lol dude who argues convenience and speed of mobile pay carriers around a back pack of accessories, including the very card he is saying isn't convenient :o:D
Most of the time I have backpack with gym stuff/other sports stuff and water

If I go to local shops for groceries and out for things like lunch / meals then I generally just take my wallet

Soldato
I can’t say I have ever had a VISA credit card, I wasn’t even aware lots of banks still used them. Outside of Amex, all my cards have been Mastercard from various banks.

Debit card on the other hand have always been exclusively visa.

Man of Honour
Well, this sucks. I mainly use Visa credit card (Nationwide) for everything.
What would anyone recommend for another credit card type which I can use specifically for Amazon?
I might look into an Amazon Platinum Mastercard

Everywhere else has no problem (yet) accepting Visa Credit cards

Tight ass Amazon!

Dear ,
We’re writing to notify you of an upcoming change to Amazon.co.uk.

Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one.

You can update your Prime membership here, and if you have any subscriptions on Amazon.co.uk, you can update them on the ''manage your subscription'' page here.

We know this may be inconvenient, and we’re here to help you through this transition so you can continue enjoying Amazon’s low prices and wide selection. Please visit this help page for more information on payment methods, or go directly to your account.

Can’t see where this has anything to do with Amazon not accepting Visa credit cards, but when my Santander Visa Debit was coming to its expiry date last September, Santander notified me that my Visa Debit card would be replaced with a M/C Debit card.

Soldato
Ebay must be loving this news. Amazon love to bully small businesses with changes in policy and fee adjustments so I'm glad that Visa have not buckled to the Amazon pressure.

They might be forced to soon. I imagine they make a pretty sizeable profit from charging Amazon transaction fees when their cards are used. By dropping them completely i'd bet that the majority of people will use alternative payment methods rather than ditching Amazon.

Most of those aren't valid reasons. It's gotta be pretty rare these days to be out long enough that your phone dies (and as Guest mentions take a powerbank if that's a concern). Which banks aren't compatible with google/apple pay? - even traditional banks have had this functionality for years. Mobile pay failing - again very rare. Transaction value too high - most places have now increased this to £100. If you are intending to go out and purchase something that's more than £100 then you'll just have to remember to take your card with you.

Transactions made with contactless payment have rocketed over the last couple of years.

Soldato
Apparently. There's EU laws that limit the amount card processors can take. The UK decided to take back control and left the EU. Therefore Visa can hike the charges for UK customers. Just as happened with mobile roaming charges, and I'm sure other things to come...

Not wrong, it has opened opportunities for Visa to hike given we are no longer in the EU.

However, the fact is Visa are clearly not being competitive on the CC fee's (even with the kick back), hence Amazon are calling their bluff.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Anyone using a debit card online is asking for trouble, as for VISA big deal plenty of other options and AMAZON is turd anyway.

Back
Top Bottom