Amazon stop accepting Visa Credit cards from 19th Jan 22??!

Soldato
Not wrong, it has opened opportunities for Visa to hike given we are no longer in the EU.

However, the fact is Visa are clearly not being competitive on the CC fee's (even with the kick back), hence Amazon are calling their bluff.
Well, it is a bit wrong - VISA have hiked fees globally. It's just that in the UK you can't have a card surcharge.

Soldato
Apparently. There's EU laws that limit the amount card processors can take. The UK decided to take back control and left the EU. Therefore Visa can hike the charges for UK customers.
I'll be able to get more info later when my other half is back, but I'm 99% sure this is not the case. This is nothing to do with fees, it's Amazon bullying Visa with strong arm tactics, knowing that if negotiations fail they can do exactly what they've done and push people into getting the Amazon Mastercard. Amazon undoubtably has the lowest card fees of anyone, ever. The fact they are using high fees as an excuse is verging on libel!

Santander notified me that my Visa Debit card would be replaced with a M/C Debit card.
Santander have moved their debit card offering to Mastercard unfortunately.

However, the fact is Visa are clearly not being competitive on the CC fee's (even with the kick back)
Source? See what I wrote above. Amazon have blatantly just realised they have enough transactions to bully Visa and are using this as leverage. If you don't think they've already negotiated the lowest transaction fees of all retailers on planet earth then well...

Soldato
@Scam why don’t you post sources for your (likely baseless) speculation?

The number of visa credit cards in circulation is far lower than Mastercard as the vast majority of banks issue Mastercards.

I expect it’s actually the case that spending on VISA credit cards probably got low enough to the point Amazon can ditch them without taking a huge hit.

I find it highly unlikely your average punter will sign up for an Amazon specific card other than to take advantage of the benefits it brings, they would likely do this anyway. Most people impacted will just use another card (e.g. debit card) or just not bother.

Soldato
I see them fiddling with the screen sometimes so they must have to turn the phone on, go to the app or whatever.

IDK how they are paying though if it's scanning a screen or reading a chip

When using Google Pay all I have to do is unlock the phone, which is done as I pull it out of my pocket. Once the phone is held close the contactless reader it automatically picks up the card and payment goes through. It has the big advantage that unlocking the phone has the same effect as entering a PIN code so there is no limit on contactless payment and means that things are vastly quicker than using the card itself.

Soldato
I'll be able to get more info later when my other half is back, but I'm 99% sure this is not the case. This is nothing to do with fees, it's Amazon bullying Visa with strong arm tactics, knowing that if negotiations fail they can do exactly what they've done and push people into getting the Amazon Mastercard. Amazon undoubtably has the lowest card fees of anyone, ever. The fact they are using high fees as an excuse is verging on libel!

Source? See what I wrote above. Amazon have blatantly just realised they have enough transactions to bully Visa and are using this as leverage. If you don't think they've already negotiated the lowest transaction fees of all retailers on planet earth then well...
It can't just be Amazon strong arming, altho I imagine a bit of that is at play here. Lots of banks have been ditching visa in the last few months.

Don
I imagine AMEX are a bit more go with the flow on doing deals compared to VISA.

VISA seems to have been playing hard ball for ages evidenced by lots of banks switching to MasterCard. Most notably recently is RBS/Natwest ditching them entirely. Revolut ditched them not so long ago as well.
Santander has ditched them as well.

Soldato
Till your phone dies. Or your bank isn't compatible with mobile pay. Or mobile pay fails and you need to fall back on chip and pin. Or the transaction value is too high.

My phone battery lasts 2-3 days, if I was stranded somewhere I couldn't charge, with no wallet for 3 days, I would have bigger problems than whether I could make a contactless payment from my phone.
I already know my bank is compatible with mobile pay so this is a non-issue. If I was stupid enough to expect to pay with my phone without setting it up first then I'd deserve every bit of ridicule and inconvenience I got.
I can count on one wing how many times in the last 5 years (since I started using mobile payments) that mobile pay is not working but normal card payments are fine (hint - I don't have wings).
If I was planning on spending more than the transaction value, I'd take my wallet with me. Payment limit for mobile is £100 in most places, which is far in excess of what I would spend on a spur-of-the-moment impulse purchase.

Soldato
Y'all just not socialite enough to know the fear of low battery anymore :rolleyes::D:cry:

Edit; I still have a 20 quid note folded in the back of my phone case too :cry:

Should probably just buy a tinfoil hat.

Associate
On the plus side I just got 20 quid credit on my Amazon account for adding a debit card as a backup and another 40 for getting accepted for an Amazon platinum cc. For me it's worth it as I buy a lot on Amazon and will earn reward points per purchase.

Soldato
No biggie for me - My First Direct Debit card is now Mastercard and I actually have one of the Amazon Platinum credit cards (the cash back isn't great - but the occasional £10 of credit is added to my account) which is also Mastercard.

Caporegime
All my CCs are MC or Amex, wasn't aware of that until I thought about it

Amazon MC
Tesco MC
Amex everyday plat

Amazon at amazon
Tesco at tesco and where they don't accept amex
Amex everywhere else

Soldato

No source and not silly enough to think they haven't quoted low fee's. Amazon may just want them lower, given the number of options available (both using card rails and non-card rails)

Soldato
OP
Can’t see where this has anything to do with Amazon not accepting Visa credit cards, but when my Santander Visa Debit was coming to its expiry date last September, Santander notified me that my Visa Debit card would be replaced with a M/C Debit card.
:confused:
Amazon are not accepting Visa credit cards any more (from Jan 2022) It has everything to do with it.

Can anyone see some logic in this reply i'm somehow missing??

Soldato
No biggie for me - My First Direct Debit card is now Mastercard and I actually have one of the Amazon Platinum credit cards (the cash back isn't great - but the occasional £10 of credit is added to my account) which is also Mastercard.

so you get £10 gift card after spending £333.33 is that my useless GCSE maths coming back to me

On Amazon.co.uk
Earn 3 Amazon Reward Points
per £2 spent

Everywhere else
Earn 0.5 Amazon Reward Point
per £2 spent
Amazon Reward Points 1000 Points = £10 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card

Soldato
Soldato
:confused:
Amazon are not accepting Visa credit cards any more (from Jan 2022) It has everything to do with it.

Can anyone see some logic in this reply i'm somehow missing??

Well actually - it doesn't have anything to do with it technically - particularly as Jean referenced a debit card.

- They (Santander) changed provider based on their own business needs. Potentially fee's or a whole host of other reasons.
- Amazon are clearly making a similar decision but from the acquiring choice side.

Back
Top Bottom