• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS 2.0: why aren’t more people raving about it?

Soldato
You can try and add some sharpness to it with Nvidia's game filters option, but fundamentally the difference is this: T2X both filmic and simple are temporal AA solutions, and so is DLSS, that means they will be blurrier/ghostier than SMAA 1x which does simple AA based on edge-detection. 1x means you'll have a sharper, rougher image but without the ghosting/blurriness, while with temporal solutions the image will have more stability in terms of shimmering, specular aliasing etc. with the trade-offs of blurring/ghosting.

The only ways to improve on that are: a) get so much GPU horse power that you can run with no AA and supersample the image (i.e. run at 5K); b) get more GPU power so that you can run at a higher fps and/or resolution with temporal solutions because unlike SMAA and the like they scale up in image quality as you increase resolutions and fps (because temporal solutions depend on the previous frames, so the quicker the frames the harder it will be to notice the frame-to-frame transitions etc).

Thank you for that excellent explanation. :)

Associate
I personally used it un Cyberpunk when I had a 3080 FTW3, and I noticed the difference in quality as well as artifacts right away. In top of the fact that things get blurry the moment you move the camera fast. So I decided to sell it and buy a 6900XT which works much better for my needs.
Cyberpunk DLSS is slightly broken. You need to manually add LOD Bias and enable DLSS sharpening in the INI files. Once that is done, DLSS performance looks damn close to native.

Permabanned
Cyberpunk DLSS is slightly broken. You need to manually add LOD Bias and enable DLSS sharpening in the INI files. Once that is done, DLSS performance looks damn close to native.

Cyberpunk2077 DLSS Quality is good. I wouldn't bother changing stuff.

It's the game that needs work

Associate
It definitely depends on a game by game basis, had a couple issue with CP visually and some additional ghosting and such. Some are definitely incredible visually though, Death Stranded as one of them!

Soldato
halo infinite needs dlss asap. the game's taa look absymal

Just apply your own sharpening to lessen the TAA blur. Its just a few clicks while the game is running.. you know alt + r -> Gaming -> change sharpening.

If your a Nvidia user:
W23bkTpyDVvRUF3UIi.gif

:p

Caporegime
Adding extra sharpening does not fix taas downfalls, it just enhances them further not to mention it doesn't solve the issues with taas ghosting/motion.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got an nvidia GPU for the first time in a while and was excited to try DLSS but the two games I tried are pretty meh - RDR2 and Cyberpunk. Both have quite a lot of blur and it's especially obvious in RDR for things like telephone poles moving against a clear sky with what looks like motion blur applied almost!

It has however forced me to look up different AA types and I've realised it's Temporal AA that is making games look blurry recently. Maybe I'll try running games at slightly higher resolution than native but without AA? Except for RDR and CP where the performance of DLSS is good (I have a 2070 super).

Caporegime
Check what version of DLSS you are using for both, you want to make sure 2.3 is being used (just a case of dll the file and copy and paste in the games bin directory), saying that, when it first came out for RDR 2, iirc, dlss 2.1, it was still a million times better than TAA smeary mess, my screenshots whilst in motion pretty much sums it up:

TTSLtQX.jpg

L8j7yb2.jpg

Sadly DLSS in RDR 2 is highly over sharpened though.

You can disable AA and upscale a higher res but:

1. good bye perf. especially the benefits you get from dlss
2. it will harm the IQ far more unless you can cope with shimmering and aliasing galore especially in RDR 2 (even at higher resolution, these issues are still there where as TAA/DLSS/DLAA do mostly solve it)

Soldato
Just apply your own sharpening to lessen the TAA blur. Its just a few clicks while the game is running.. you know alt + r -> Gaming -> change sharpening.

If your a Nvidia user:
W23bkTpyDVvRUF3UIi.gif

:p

As an Nvidia user, this game already has a sharpening slider which I set to max.

It doesn't really fix the problem though, the game has bad anti aliasing

Associate
I got an nvidia GPU for the first time in a while and was excited to try DLSS but the two games I tried are pretty meh - RDR2 and Cyberpunk. Both have quite a lot of blur and it's especially obvious in RDR for things like telephone poles moving against a clear sky with what looks like motion blur applied almost!

It has however forced me to look up different AA types and I've realised it's Temporal AA that is making games look blurry recently. Maybe I'll try running games at slightly higher resolution than native but without AA? Except for RDR and CP where the performance of DLSS is good (I have a 2070 super).
Yeah I know CP definitely doesnt have perfect dlss. If you can try Control, that with rtx and dlss looks incredible! Also heard and seen great things with Death Stranding but haven't played tbag myself. There definitely are great examples but it does somewhat vary game to game

Permabanned
Yeah I know CP definitely doesnt have perfect dlss. If you can try Control, that with rtx and dlss looks incredible! Also heard and seen great things with Death Stranding but haven't played tbag myself. There definitely are great examples but it does somewhat vary game to game
thats because control has grim and dark environments

dlss works best when the scene is dark/night/gritty (im not joking or kidding). it ***** bed when the scenery is lit by the sun for some reason

Permabanned
thats because control has grim and dark environments

dlss works best when the scene is dark/night/gritty (im not joking or kidding). it ***** bed when the scenery is lit by the sun for some reason

PC Per's latest podcast shows a big improvment in CP2077 with the latest version of DLSS during daylight.

Soldato
Huh super interesting that, I guess its partly just due to any darker scenes hiding any imperfections

it's more likely that in bright environments, the edge of textures and objects are more visible to the human eye. But in darker environments those edges are less visible, partially due to most people using ****** monitors that can't display colors properly or not playing dark games in a dark room like they should.

I very much doubt that scientifically dlss works better in a dark game, it's just your monitor can't output as much dark detail because it's crap or your room is too bright preventing you from seeing details in dark games and thus giving the perception that dlss is somehow better because you can't see imperfections

Back
Top Bottom