LG 27GP850-B

Soldato
Nice, i LOVE mine, im quite lucky with mine also as have hardly any bleed, brill monitor, i use vivid setting for gaming as find it the best, the fake hdr setting is good also but a bit to bright for me for long gaming sessions

Hope you enjoy it as much as i am :)

Just received the replacement and currently setting up. So far so good! Fingers crossed this lasts longer than a few days!

Soldato
...Well I'm on Gamer 1, with Extended Freesync, 144Hz, Normal response. Brighthness 45, Contrast 60, Gamma Mode 2, Colour Warm. :)
Had a play around further with this today, and I've slightly altered the colour settings noted in my original post above.

Brightness: 35
Contrast: 50
Gamma Mode: 3

Everything else still the same.

Feels a lot easier on the eye - I think it was overly bright to begin with. I just use a very simple website to try and help with getting the right gamma, brightness and contrast. It's by no means scientific and each to their own, but this feels like less strain on the eyes, a bit more depth and colour.

Soldato
Hopefully mate, cant really fault mine, love it.....enjoy :)

I couldn't fault the 32GP850.

I'm used to a 27" screen so really not missing the extra inches to be honest.

Fingers crossed... all will be fine with this replacement. It was hard to pass up on these offers!

Soldato
New to this screen. Just rec'd the 32GP850B today. I'm coming from an Asus XB270u gsync panel, which had a gsync module built in, so new to this adaptive sync option. What is the difference between 'Basic' adaptive sync, vs 'extended' adaptive sync ? my gpu is an nVidia 1080ti. Not been able to bag a 3080 so this trusty 1080ti will have to suffice for now.

Also how to do update the firmware ? i see some others have mentioned updating the firmware. Any other settings i need to be aware of ? i had it on gamer1 out the box, but it seemed over saturated to me, so toned it down to sRGB.

Soldato
So and i can't say i've noticed a difference but are we getting sold short on this panel not having the gsync module ? do they even do screens with the gsync modules nowadays ? is gsync now no better than freesync ? sorry been out of the picture for a couple of yrs, if that seems like a dumb question.

Associate
Hello all,

I’ve been using the above monitor since I purchased it from here roughly 2 weeks ago.

I had no issues and assumed that HDR was already active “out of the box” until yesterday evening when I looked in to my display settings and had a fiddle with the monitors settings.

I’ve turned HDR on now but am experiencing a sporadic screen flicker (mainly in games but occasionally on the desktop and in Adobe Premier) - a seemingly constant adjustment between two very similar levels of brightness with the occasional 1-frame black bar flashing horizontally across the top of the monitor. The problem seemed to persist with HDR turned off yesterday but now I can’t seem to replicate that specific issue.

My settings are:
(Windows)
Windows 10
HDR - On
Hardware Accelerate GPU Schedule - Off
Variable Refresh Rate - Off
Windows Updates - Up to date

(Nvidia Control Panel)
Driver - 496.76 (latest as of 21/11)
Enable G-Sync - On
G-Sync Mode - Full Screen only
*does it matter that this is on as I’m using LG’s adaptive sync, should I turn it off and/or should I consider the G-Sync ‘Full Screen and Windowed Mode?*

(Monitor)
Overclock - No (165Hz)
Adaptive Sync - Extended
Response Time - Fast
Variable Backlight Speed - Fast (Default)
Motion Blur Reduction - Off
DisplayPort - 1.4
Smart Energy Saving - ‘Greyed’ out/unavailable

I think the issue may be a conflict between HDR and Variable Backlight Speed, I have turned it off and the issue seemed intermittent still but I haven’t had the time today to test it further. What’s peoples opinions on the ‘Variable Backlight Speed’ feature?

Often the desktop will be flickering until I load an application or open a webpage and so far, the problem continually persists in games.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any idea how to stop the flickering effect? Unfortunately it’s really hard to capture the issue in a photo so I apologise for not including an example.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve turned HDR on now but am experiencing a constant screen flicker - a seemingly constant adjustment between two similar levels of brightness. Strangely, the problem now seems to continue even with HDR turned off?

Check the power save feature (General > Smart Energy Saving) and set it to "Off". I think someone recently just had similar with the brightness changing.

Fingers crossed!

Associate
Check the power save feature (General > Smart Energy Saving) and set it to "Off". I think someone recently just had similar with the brightness changing.

Fingers crossed!

Enabling HDR removes the option to adjust the Smart Energy Saving setting if I recall correctly so no dice unfortunately.

Thank you for the suggestion though!

Edit: just checked and ‘Smart Energy Saving’ is indeed ‘Greyed’ out and unavailable, also updated my original post

Last edited:
Soldato
Enabling HDR removes the option to adjust the Smart Energy Saving setting if I recall correctly so no dice unfortunately.

Edit: just checked and ‘Smart Energy Saving’ is indeed ‘Greyed’ out and unavailable, also updated my original post

No worries - thanks for the clarification. :) I don't suppose switching the monitor off and whipping the power cable out for 5 minutes helps at all does it? Drain it of all power.

Associate

funny, mine started doing this in the last few weeks, notice it on desktop and gaming, its very random and not often when it does it, wonder if its the nvidia drivers.

out of interest are you on Win11 ?

Associate
No worries - thanks for the clarification. :) I don't suppose switching the monitor off and whipping the power cable out for 5 minutes helps at all does it? Drain it of all power.
I shall try that tomorrow when I'm home, the old physical reset!
funny, mine started doing this in the last few weeks, notice it on desktop and gaming, its very random and not often when it does it, wonder if its the nvidia drivers.

out of interest are you on Win11 ?

I haven't updated to 11 yet labbby simply because of all the teething problems and AMD issues i've heard about,
still using Windows 10 (will update my post to reflect that)

Associate
Would appreciate some help in choosing an LG monitor.

Currently looking at the 27GN88A but this GP model appears to have way better motion clarity along with a bump to 165/180. The thing is the 27GN88A comes with a monitor arm (some people have said it's worth about £100 alone). I do want to try a monitor arm but is it worth not getting this updated GP model? No idea what panel this 27GN88A has. I also don't want to put a £300 screen on some cheapo £20 arm.

Soldato
Would appreciate some help in choosing an LG monitor.

Currently looking at the 27GN88A but this GP model appears to have way better motion clarity along with a bump to 165/180. The thing is the 27GN88A comes with a monitor arm (some people have said it's worth about £100 alone). I do want to try a monitor arm but is it worth not getting this updated GP model? No idea what panel this 27GN88A has. I also don't want to put a £300 screen on some cheapo £20 arm.

I tried to find the answer for you, but I have never heard of this monitor, and it seems to be exclusive to a specific store, no reviews, barely no mention at all. A post on OCUK says its a rebadged 27GL850 (with the stand difference of course).

In my opinion if its a rebadged 27GL850, and the fact you dont get that horrible pronged stand, I say its a no brainer, the price is very good. The newer GP850 has improvements which are mostly related to refresh rate and response times, but according to rtings it perhaps is at the expense of image quality as it has some regressions in that area, in particurly the viewing angle.

If refresh rates are important to you though then the GP850 is the one to go for. I have just found a techreport review it has the old UI, so yeah its probably based on older gen nano IPS LG parts as the OCUK post suggested.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/34273715

Associate

Yeah I was thinking the same. I watched a review of the ergo monitor stand. At 3:18

I would eventually upgrade the LG to say the 2022-2023 model (or go to 32") so is this basically saying any other LG monitor wouldn't fit? I got a decent screen shot of him attaching the monitor to the arm. Looks like any normal LG mount?

https://i.imgur.com/5na5bCE.png

I think to be safe I'll just go for the 27GP850 and take the hit on getting a universal arm. Any recommendations? Don't want something ridiculously cheap and nothing over like £120.

Associate
Does anyone have pictures of the power brick that comes with the monitor or model number? Can it be purchased separately?

Associate
I bought 2 LG 27GP850 monitors for a dual screen setup. I am not really in need of good monitors like these but got them for a very good price on black friday.

I do some very rare gaming but mainly will use them for trading so I will be using them for watching charts, graphs and coding. Please observe that I have no available color calibration devices and apps and would prefer not to go into too much details.

With that said I have now set these 2 monitors up and I can see a that one of the screens have a very visible pink uniform tint compared to the other one. Maybe I wouldn't have cared if I only have one buy now it is visible when they are next to each other and its a bit annoying I guess.

So my questions is if I should return the one with the pink hue or should I try to change some settings to make them more similar? What settings should I change to try to decrease the pink?

Soldato
Does anyone have pictures of the power brick that comes with the monitor or model number? Can it be purchased separately?

Dont think it can.

When i got my 27GL850 it came with a european brick.

I rang LG expected to be quoted a big price for a UK brick, only to be told they dont sell them, but referred to a authorised retailer, that authorised retailer website was completely broken. I found lots for sale on dodgy websites but they were clearly clone type products, not the legit thing. Ended up buying a travel adaptor, and that was a pain as is so many that dont have proper earthing.

Caporegime
Dont think it can.

When i got my 27GL850 it came with a european brick.

I rang LG expected to be quoted a big price for a UK brick, only to be told they dont sell them, but referred to a authorised retailer, that authorised retailer website was completely broken. I found lots for sale on dodgy websites but they were clearly clone type products, not the legit thing. Ended up buying a travel adaptor, and that was a pain as is so many that dont have proper earthing.
LG don't make the power bricks. They use one of three companies (details are in the thread on previous pages).

Yes you can buy a standard power brick to the exact same specs from the same companies that LG use for their "official" bricks.

You can find them from sources (other than eBay) for about £20.

Back
Top Bottom