Ford Mondeo

Associate
Hi all,
What is your opinion on the Ford mondeo 2.0 TDCi 140 Edge 5dr Powershift?
Is it a good car? I am looking to get one for the family since mine broke. Wanted some spacious one since we have a baby.

Is it reliable?

thanks in advance.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
07-2014?

I have an 09 Titanium X with 158k on it that I've had 18 months now. It's run great in my short time with it although they are getting on a bit now. I did have to replace both front shocks for this years MOT and replaced a dying tensioner but those are age related issues. It pulls well, ride is decent and very roomy for 1 or 2 kids plus plenty of kit to be still viable in 2021. I added a bluetooth module to enable music screaming (old one was voice only) as that's all I felt was missing.

If you must get a diesel (petrol are rare anyway) the 2.0 TDCI is the one to go for. I can't comment on Powershift but I have read some horror stories, however as long as it's been serviced the models supplied with the larger engines (2.0+) are supposed to be reliable. I was quite suprised by my manual version though, quite a nice positive shift.

Depending on age & miles, make sure you buy with with a mostly recent flywheel & clutch change & timing belts done, the clutch & flywheel could be a £1500 bill if they need doing in your ownership.

Soldato
To add to the above, Edge is a very low spec, mine ('07 Tit X TDCi) was a lovely place to sit, great driving for a 4 Pot, nice handling etc and the powershift box was "acceptable" (not class leading, not bad).

The TDCi sufferers from the intercooler hoses splitting (cheap/easy to replace) and injectors dying (expensive to sort, like £600+ IIRC) but not much else, maybe water ingress in the headlights or bad cabin filters (real hassle to replace so get missed on service, stops the blower working properly).

You can get lots of Android head units specifically for the Mk4 mondeo (bought one myself) which add sat nav, android auto, dab, Bluetooth phone audio, reverse camera etc for about £250 and work really well if you want to update the in-car stuff, pretty easy to fit too.

Associate
OP
Thank you all gorgeous comments. So the car got around 60K, 2014, edge (was told it is mid spec), 2L 140 horse power automatic. The seller is Allen Ford.
I can ask those questions to them about flywheel and clutch. But a car for this age, mileage and model should have all he things mentioned changed?

Associate
OP
I called them now asking all this stuff and he was going to speak with the personal from their garage. He said that these kind of things like injectors dying or intercollegiate hoses dying is unheard of. Not sure if he was telling the truth or doesn’t know.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your comments. Will elaborate a bit more and say what he told me.
So the car got 53K miles, 6 speed, automatic, diesel, 2L, 140HP, front and rear heated screen, parking sensor, bluetooth, cruise control, air conditioning, front and rear automatic electric windows, CD player (the audio system is from their brand), alloys in the front only (doesn’t bother me really don’t even know what’s the difference) and it is about it although they say many more features (will check which ones). In terms of condition it looks really good given the age.
Costs £8.3K.
My partner got the C-max titanium X and I quite like it but we were really lucky given the age, mileage and price.
What do you guys think?
He said that he spoke with the garage manager and that the timing belt is done at 10y or 120K miles. The injectors is not true. Also said about the other stuff it is not heard of. Well what can I say? That’s all about it.
What do tiú think?

Soldato
I can't believe how absolutely insane car prices have got. I only paid £10k for my Titanium X Sport Powershift (top spec, with optional extras) in 2014!

Underboss
Thank you all for your comments. Will elaborate a bit more and say what he told me.
So the car got 53K miles, 6 speed, automatic, diesel, 2L, 140HP, front and rear heated screen, parking sensor, bluetooth, cruise control, air conditioning, front and rear automatic electric windows, CD player (the audio system is from their brand), alloys in the front only (doesn’t bother me really don’t even know what’s the difference) and it is about it although they say many more features (will check which ones). In terms of condition it looks really good given the age.
Costs £8.3K.
My partner got the C-max titanium X and I quite like it but we were really lucky given the age, mileage and price.
What do you guys think?
He said that he spoke with the garage manager and that the timing belt is done at 10y or 120K miles. The injectors is not true. Also said about the other stuff it is not heard of. Well what can I say? That’s all about it.
What do tiú think?

i think your being ripped off really, look at this, top spec for about the same money ?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110158523526?make=Ford&transmission=Automatic&model=Mondeo&sort=price-asc&year-to=2015&postcode=ox394je&fuel-type=Diesel&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2014&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&maximum-

mileage=60000&page=1

If its got steel AND alloy wheels, you've got to answer WHY ?
id walk away personally

if you give the link so we can run some checks ? we got a better idea then

Underboss
sure:

https://www.allenmotorgroup.co.uk/ford/used/13794349-ford-mondeo-2.0-tdci-140-edge-5dr-powershift/

I am inclined to get it but not 100% convinced given your comments. Would appreciate any help.

ok, so its got steel wheels all round, no fog lights, so yes thats basic spec trim "edge"
the parking sensors look retro fitted
the CD player is a normal Ford one

MOT history looks ok, apart from one of the wheels needs changing as its distorted. and what Howard said, make sure Gearbox fluid etc is all done on time, and there's invoices to match the stamps in book

i wouldn't pay that much for the Edge spec personally

Back
Top Bottom