The "Top Gear", Season 24/25/26 thread

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I thought it was a great episode. Sometimes I almost feel that they tried to cram too much in in the past. Two segments or an episode long challenge seems to be the sweet spot since the old trio left.

The only element I found slightly awkward was the big showcase at the end. While he was smiling through it like the legend that he is did anyone else pick up on an element of sadness in his eyes as they cut back to show him watching people doing what he loved until the accident took that life away from him?

Some of the best segments of TG have been the tributes/educational pieces and the smaller challenges with some outside assistance. For me, one of the best automotive episodes I've watched in years.

I can imagine it was emotional for him. Probably too easy to read into someone in that position, in reality it's very hard to tell from the outside. He clearly knows Terry Grant going by their exchange at the end, it was quite intimate, I'm sure after all these years he's come to terms with his position. It was a tribute to him with all his family involved, he's an old man now whose legacy has long gone quiet. These big stunts and shows were headline news back in the day becasue they were unusual, now it's less mainstream but with a bigger more accessible following. He inspired a fair few careers I'm sure of that.

It was a well timed and thoughtful piece that I enjoyed. Brought back some memories of some old VHS in the 90s full of big stunts and crashes from all over the world and I certainly remember some of his efforts being among them.

Soldato
Enjoyed it and good start to the season, the Eddie segment was a good introduction to a person I'd not heard of before. Surprised to see they left cuts in of Freddie trying to get the crowd to cheer at Silverstone.

Soldato
Stayed away from Top Gear after the horrendous post trio revival. But watched the latest episode and did enjoy it.

I don’t like that they are making Chris Harris the butt of all the jokes for being “geeky”.

The Vantage F1 is not a “trackday special” like the Alfa or McLaren in anyway. Even Aston themselves said this, it’s just a slightly warmer Vantage with some suspension tweaks and a wing.

Soldato
The only element I found slightly awkward was the big showcase at the end. While he was smiling through it like the legend that he is did anyone else pick up on an element of sadness in his eyes as they cut back to show him watching people doing what he loved until the accident took that life away from him?

I too thought this but then I am I just looking at the bad in things? After all the guy did have all his motorbike memorabilia around his home so must have enjoyed his passion still.

Soldato
Not sure I believe those figures as BBC have lost a lot of good programs and presenters, bake off and Clarkson lot. My Mrs only watches strictly on there now and I only watch top gear. Most other stuff we stream, which I suspect will be a much higher percentage than BBC viewers.

Believe it or not there's still plenty of people that like to watch more programs on the Beeb than the ones Mr & Mrs theone8181 want to watch. Just because your viewing habits have changed over the years doesn't mean everyone else's has.

Caporegime
I'd all but given up on TG, but following the reports in here I thought I'd give it a go. Probably the best episode since the old boys left. I also never heard of Eddie Kidd (what with me being a filthy job stealing immigrant and all) but that was a proper tribute. I can see why some people are saying it's cringy with him sitting in his chair, but for me that's irrelevant - if he enjoyed it, and the audience enjoyed it, then job done.

Soldato
Ok, just caught up with this week's episode. My brother had the Evel Knievel bike and I recognise Eddie Kidd's face & some of the clips, but trying to kill yourself on bikes has never featured on my list of things to be impressed by. However I was in bits watching that tribute to him. There's obviously awkwardness there, and the potential to destabilise whatever fragile mental equilibrium he's in these days, but I think giving the guy a chance to be celebrated again is, on balance, a great thing. It's not as if he's got rid of all traces of the life that put him in that condition.

Great TV IMO.

Soldato
Fired up iPlayer to watch this, enjoyed it especially the McLaren, Aston was alright but the Alfa looks like it crashed into Hafrauds chav corner.

Chris Harris is great, Flintoff is so so, that other fella should find another line of work.

Did feel sad for Eddie, wheeling him out and putting on a massive display of things he loves but hasn't been able to do for such a long time.

Back
Top Bottom