***Rugby Super League XXVI (other RL chat welcome!)***

Soldato
Are Fev even "SL ready"???

Kinda hoping for Toulouse too, I hate it when people trot out the usual line of "what do X bring to Super League" - but to me, I'm not sure there is much longevity in Fev being part of the bigger competition. It hardly attracts the national media gaze, does it. You could level that at a few current SL clubs, I suppose.

Associate
I’ve got tickets for the grand final. Really excited.

Random thought, does anyone miss the “Two Tribes” theme tune for Super League?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Well, the refereeing has in fact been bloody appalling. St Helens getting away with murder. Situation normal.

:rolleyes:

***edit***

I hope St Helens are happy winning like that. I'm not sure I could be.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, the refereeing has in fact been bloody appalling. St Helens getting away with murder. Situation normal.

:rolleyes:

***edit***

I hope St Helens are happy winning like that. I'm not sure I could be.

The occasion was more enjoyable than the match I thought.

Catalan just didn’t threaten Saints try line enough.

Soldato
Fed up with all this “without refs there would be no game” they just ruin games. There is no game with them.

You don’t have that many incorrect decisions in NRL but in the rare occasion you do they have captains call.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
What was the big decision that gifted the win to Saints?

Three stood out for me.

The first - Makinson took out Yaha at head height as Yaha was going over for a try. This somehow didn't result in a penalty try...but was a yellow card for Makinson? How does that even work?

The second - whatever the BS penalty call was that handed Saints the set of six needed for the try that took the lead. The beIN commentary was utterly bemused.

The third - how that try stood when the Saints player quite clearly had elbows on the ground before grounding the ball. The beIN commentary moved from bemused to incensed.

Plus the smaller calls here and there. Dinging Tomkins for incorrect play of the ball when a St Helens player had Sam's head trapped between the Saints player's knees after a tackle. Obstructions off the ball going un-noticed. One St Helens pass that was so far forward it ended up in a different postcode. I don't expect refs to be perfect, but maybe we could try for better?

I hope whoever's ref'ing the Toulouse-Fev match today does.

***edit***

Oh, another decision/lack thereof that stood out - how did Mata'utia not get a card for throwing a punch at Maloney? You can argue the toss with some of the decisions last night but I think we can probably all agree that punching a guy warrants a look at???

Last edited:
Associate
I thought the GF was a good tough game. Disappointed that Sts won. The incorrect ptb decision with 2 minutes to go was an eyebrow raiser, but the same ref did this in the CC Cup Final against Saford in almost exactly the same position.

Toulouse were far too good for Fev tonight. They are going to have to go on a big recruitment drive to be competitive next year though

Soldato
Toulouse were far too good for Fev tonight. They are going to have to go on a big recruitment drive to be competitive next year though

Too big, too strong, too fast.

In my opinion they need to go to licencing with 12 teams initially then rising to 14 teams in two years time - gives Toulouse a chance rather than just relegating them again. That being said, Rovers never got that chance and we managed to survive in SL again - but that's a team who has been there and done it before, not one with no SL experience.

The Catalan v Toulouse games next year are going to be must watch (well, maybe, could be a bit one sided!).

Last edited:
Associate
Mitchell Pearce is a great signing and a like for like swap with Maloney. They are being linked with some big names.

Meanwhile, in Wigan we have Kade Ellis, Patrick Mago, Cade Cust (who tbf might turn out ok), Ramon Silva and <drum roll> Ian Thornley. I think any coach other than Adrian Lam could get 10-20% more out of each current player. We haven't seen anything of Jai Field yet through injury and (might) have Bevan French back. I have no idea how his will work out, but I am buying a season ticket

Back
Top Bottom