Icy Windows

Associate
Hi guys,

during the winter i'm going to have to be up and out of the house at 5:30am some mornings.

What's your favourite method to prevent icy windows? I know you can get covers but then i've also read make your own de-icer with rubbing alocohol in a squirty bottle with water (some say that can damage the seals on the window though).

There is also the pre-icer which you spray on the night before but some say that product is no good.

So many options but not sure which one to go with.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
How close to the house is your car?

You can nip out, put a fan heater or convector heater in the car attached to an extension lead, and turn it on for ten minutes before you leave. This will not only defrost the outside but also demist the inside, and make it more pleasant for you to get into.

You can also throw lukewarm water over the windows to defrost them. This also demists the inside fairly well. But it does, potentially, result in the place where the car was stood being more icy in future, if the weather remains cold enough through the day - since you've just poured water all over the road.

Soldato
I save a 2-litre drinks bottle, fill it with water and leave it on top of the radiator by the front door overnight so I can grab it on my way out in the morning.
Start the car, turn on the heated rear screen, gently pour the warm water over the front screen, then give the wipers a few sweeps to clear the water and prevent refreezing.
If the side windows are frosty, gently pour water over those too, and then wipe with the rubber squeegee side of an ice scraper.

I realise it's not prevention, but it far quicker than scraping, and I find it more effective than de-icing sprays. Whenever I use those, it clears the frost, but leaves the inside of the screen misted up; warm water tends to clear that too.

Soldato
I've been doing the bottle of water on the radiator thing for years. The de-icer sprays are not good for rubber.

get a large towel and wrap that over the windscreen, use the doors to hold them on

i have a ford, and i leave work at 5am , and i put heated screen on only (no blower) its done in 1 min lol

If you do that and the towel gets soaked water will get inside :p

Soldato
I used to do warm water poured over the icy windows.

Now I just press a button in my app, or schedule it to start the heating 10 mins before I leave the house.

Soldato
Seems like hassle, surprised you don't just open the garage and drive out? :D
Back in the olden days when I had ICE cars my son would usually de-ice my car for me :D

December 2016

51689417333_6bdc5d6183_b.jpg

January 2019

51689415608_0405f37b7a_b.jpg

Soldato
Why not just go outside 10 minutes early and let the car warm up?

If you have 2 keys, use 1 to start the car and put the heaters on and use the other one to lock the car while you’re inside.

Soldato
Why not just go outside 10 minutes early and let the car warm up?

If you have 2 keys, use 1 to start the car and put the heaters on and use the other one to lock the car while you’re inside.

Strictly speaking, pretty sure it's illegal to leave the car running unattended.

Back
Top Bottom