*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Hi all,

I see Sky has a set of black Friday deals up already for Sky Q. Does anyone know if these are likely to change between now and black Friday and it’s worth waiting?

Doubt it'll change but if you ask nicely MissChief may be able to get you a new customer discount code - after I get mine ofcourse (join the queue:p).

I've seen the basic TV Signature package for £26 a month plus £20 installation which I thought was reasonable as it includes Netflix but when scrolling through the list of add-ons it says add HD and UHD for £11 a month. I understand maybe paying extra to add UHD but normal HD?? In 2021?

Associate
If a new customer code is available, that would be incredible and greatly appreciated.

Doubt it'll change but if you ask nicely MissChief may be able to get you a new customer discount code - after I get mine ofcourse (join the queue:p).

I've seen the basic TV Signature package for £26 a month plus £20 installation which I thought was reasonable as it includes Netflix but when scrolling through the list of add-ons it says add HD and UHD for £11 a month. I understand maybe paying extra to add UHD but normal HD?? In 2021?

Yeah, ideally I would like to go with the base package and add on Ultra HD+HD, Sky Cinema and Sky Sports.

Man of Honour
Sky Go is comically poor at times. I couldn't even watch the football last night, it kept buffering. Yet I could get 400+ Mbps speed tests on the device I was trying to watch it on. I ended up using the ITV Player website in the end.

Caporegime

The internal site I get the codes from is currently down.

Soldato
I was going through retentions earlier and was quoted £21 for S Sports, £24 for BT Sport, £21 for signature, £5 for Netflix, £5 for HD and £3 for UHD. About £5 more than what MissChief kindly procured for me last year so, with inflation, about right unfortunately.

V F

V F

Soldato
Sky Go is comically poor at times. I couldn't even watch the football last night, it kept buffering. Yet I could get 400+ Mbps speed tests on the device I was trying to watch it on. I ended up using the ITV Player website in the end.

Odd. I've never had issues with it.

Man of Honour
Odd. I've never had issues with it.

It normally streams but it's a poor product overall that needs some work. The IQ is poor compared to BT as an example. They have made improvements but as I said my home network (and ISP) was fine. Perhaps it was the Sky box that had an issue with streaming it.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah, the image quality is quite poor. It's not bad but it definitely is not pin sharp even streaming it over Wi-Fi on an iPad 12.9 with over 200Mbps. There aint no macro blocking or anything but it's very soft for supposedly HD. Watch a Blu-Ray disc for two hours then come back to the Sky Go app and it looks absolutely crap.

It's so bad in quality coming from Blu-Ray it makes you feel like your eyes have been out of focus it's that soft. Sometimes it feels like 720p in a 1080p container.

Some films are sharper than others on Sky Go which I find pretty bad. There's so many variations from channels to channels on Sky Go sadly.

Caporegime
No one 'has' to pay. They make you think you do by scaring people into paying for one.

Currently, anyone who watches or records live TV, on ANY channel or streaming service, (for instance, watching live Rugby internationals on Amazon Prime currently) , or uses iPlayer without a TV licence is guilty of a criminal offence with fines of up to £1000 and possibly prison sentence.

So no you don't "have" to pay, same as you don't "have" to wear a seatbelt in a car, but it is a criminal offence if you don't.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently, anyone who watches or records live TV, on ANY channel or streaming service, (for instance, watching live Rughy internationals on Amazon Prime currently) , or uses iPlayer without a TV licence is guilty of a criminal offence with fines of up to £1000 and possibly prison sentence.

So no you don't "have" to pay, same as you don't "have" to wear a seatbelt in a car, but it is a criminal offence if you don't.
Whilst technically correct, the law is an ass in this instance because there is no means to prove you’ve actually broken it, therefore it becomes entirely unenforceable. The Capita enforcement goons have absolutely no right of entry to a property, therefore can be politely told to do one.

Soldato
Whilst technically correct, the law is an ass in this instance because there is no means to prove you’ve actually broken it, therefore it becomes entirely unenforceable. The Capita enforcement goons have absolutely no right of entry to a property, therefore can be politely told to do one.
There's a whole thread of keyboard warriors telling us what they do when people come knocking about the TV license - don't really need to pollute another thread do we?

Soldato
Hi

I'd like some advice.

I'm a current Sky member 11 years Platinum VIP. Sky Q Multiscreen, Cinema, Entertainment, Box Sets, HD and Kids. Sky Fibre Max with Talk, Evenings and Weekends. I am paying the heroically expensive amount of £129.39 split as £73 TV and £53.39 broadband and Phone. I think all my deals ran out months ago and I didn't renew as I was planning to move house. Months later I'm now due to move house next month so I've been paying a fair whack for a while.

I was thinking of moving to Signature so I turn on Netflix and the like on a monthly basis as required. Currently go Disney+ direct, kids use it a lot. We've used multiscreen for a few years with Q but may not need immediately when move but might want again in future. Although currently have SkyGo access so can multiroom with PS4 if needed.

Any advice on how to move gratefully received? Cancel and start afresh. use SkyMove but how do I go about negotiating a better deal.

Caporegime
Hi

I'd like some advice.

I'm a current Sky member 11 years Platinum VIP. Sky Q Multiscreen, Cinema, Entertainment, Box Sets, HD and Kids. Sky Fibre Max with Talk, Evenings and Weekends. I am paying the heroically expensive amount of £129.39 split as £73 TV and £53.39 broadband and Phone. I think all my deals ran out months ago and I didn't renew as I was planning to move house. Months later I'm now due to move house next month so I've been paying a fair whack for a while.

I was thinking of moving to Signature so I turn on Netflix and the like on a monthly basis as required. Currently go Disney+ direct, kids use it a lot. We've used multiscreen for a few years with Q but may not need immediately when move but might want again in future. Although currently have SkyGo access so can multiroom with PS4 if needed.

Any advice on how to move gratefully received? Cancel and start afresh. use SkyMove but how do I go about negotiating a better deal.
Call to cancel and advise you’re moving and are taking this as an opportunity to look at your outgoings and have decided Sky is an expense you can’t justify. And then if necessary go through with the cancellation if the offers aren’t good enough.

Soldato
Hey all,

I'm currently paying £44 a month for Sky+, HD package and legacy F1 entitlement which looking around seems like a lot these days. I'm currently in the process of remortgaging for just myself and excluding the F1 I don't really use the rest of Sky, apart from maybe Netflix if it's a good price in any deal offered. However, I'm also moving to a 4K OLED TV and I'd really like to keep F1 in UHD if it's not too pricey. Is it best to do it now or wait until January after the F1 season ends hoping there's another sale to help haggle with retentions?

Caporegime
Hey all,

I'm currently paying £44 a month for Sky+, HD package and legacy F1 entitlement which looking around seems like a lot these days. I'm currently in the process of remortgaging for just myself and excluding the F1 I don't really use the rest of Sky, apart from maybe Netflix if it's a good price in any deal offered. However, I'm also moving to a 4K OLED TV and I'd really like to keep F1 in UHD if it's not too pricey. Is it best to do it now or wait until January after the F1 season ends hoping there's another sale to help haggle with retentions?
Any change in package and you will lose your legacy F1 entitlement and require full sky sports package to get the F1.

Back
Top Bottom