Basic Cisco Switch Config to replicate internet connection

Soldato
After some advice please...

I am looking to extend my EE internet connection from the supplied EE router to my garage where I have an office with a few wall ports.

Here is my plan (no idea if it is correct/will work):

- Run 2x CAT6 cables from ports in the back of my EE router to a dual CAT6 Wall Socket.
- From the Wall Socket, punch down into the modules and run 2x direct burial CAT6 cables outside to my garage
- Terminate the 2x direct burial CAT6 cables into my 24 Port Patch Panel (Ports 1 &2)
- Patch Ports 1 & 2 to my switch (Cisco SG300-28PP)
- Run cables from wall ports/sockets in my garage to my patch panel (eg Ports 3-12)
- Patch terminated cables from patch panel in last step into my switch

Apologies if that's difficult to follow but I'm struggling to explain it properly. Does the theory of that work? Will I need to use certain ports on my switch for the direct burial cables? Will I need to configure my switch or can I jut factory reset it? I'm not looking to create VLAN's, etc.

Thanks.

Soldato
Why two cables? I don't suppose the EE supplied router is capable of bonding so you'll just create a loop and a resultant packet storm.

Run one cable from the router (if you want to add a spare and leave it disconnected that's fine) to the switch and there should be zero configuration required. How you decide to route, terminate and patch along the route is up to you.

Depending on where the garage is relative to the building and how they're earthed, fibre may be the correct option for this (although you'll probably be fine).

Soldato
OP
Why two cables? I don't suppose the EE supplied router is capable of bonding so you'll just create a loop and a resultant packet storm.

Run one cable from the router (if you want to add a spare and leave it disconnected that's fine) to the switch and there should be zero configuration required. How you decide to route, terminate and patch along the route is up to you.

Depending on where the garage is relative to the building and how they're earthed, fibre may be the correct option for this (although you'll probably be fine).

2x cables was more for resilience, but wondered if it would give better performance. Ok so I'll just terminate it at the patch panel, but won't patch that port to the switch.

Should I use a specific port on my Cisco switch? I noticed some ports on the right were labelled Uplink Gigabit. Is that just for linking 2x switches together or should I patch my cable from my EE router to those ports?

The garage is about 20M from where the router is. I've not done anything about an earth in my mini Comms cabinet in the garage yet. Should I?

Thanks for your reply.

Soldato
It's a managed switch. Do you have any configuration on it that would affect which ports you're using? Given the questions you're asking I'd guess not, but no way of knowing from this distance. If you plug into any of the normal ports you should be fine (you certainly aren't going to break anything).

Don't worry about the earthing (relative between the buildings, not to individual equipment). It's very unlikely to cause you any issues at all (but is a thing). Probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

Soldato
OP
It's a managed switch. Do you have any configuration on it that would affect which ports you're using? Given the questions you're asking I'd guess not, but no way of knowing from this distance. If you plug into any of the normal ports you should be fine (you certainly aren't going to break anything).

Don't worry about the earthing (relative between the buildings, not to individual equipment). It's very unlikely to cause you any issues at all (but is a thing). Probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

I don't think there is a configuration on it, but I planned to reset it once I get it racked and powered on.

I may start by just connecting a short LAN cable from the router to the switch, and then plug another cable into another port to a device and just see if it works.
When my electrician returns for final fixing I'll ask him if the cabinet needs earthing.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Sell the managed switch and buy a £10-15 non managed one.
Sort of agree, but seeing as he has it: The sg300 isn’t an iOS enterprise device - it is quite basic and is fully configurable via its web gui.

All he needs to do is factory reset it, look up the Cisco quick start guide which details the default management IP and then follow the gui wizard for a basic config which will work. Seems silly not to use it, while not a “proper” Cisco device, it is still a decent enough switch…:)

Man of Honour
It would sell for £100 easy, probably closer to £150 looking at refurbished prices. It'll also use more power than a non managed switch so I know what I would do personally.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
True true re the power consumption. I run a stupid network so I guess that aspect didn’t enter my thoughts :p

Man of Honour
True true re the power consumption. I run a stupid network so I guess that aspect didn’t enter my thoughts :p
Same but given the OP is asking these questions I'm assuming (in the nicest possible way) he is not a networking guy, so a dumb 1 Gbps switch with however many ports (plus some spare + POE if necessary) will fulfil his requirements. It'll also save him money from a power consumption perspective plus he can sell the Cisco switch on here or eBay/Facebook etc and be quids in.

Associate
Is the intention just to extend the home network to a garden outbuilding so you use the internet out there, or are you actually trying to segregate you office and home into two networks, both with internet?

Soldato
OP
Yea, apologies if I've got an over the top switch. IT was free so I took advantage of it.

I'm not looking to create VLAN's, etc, I simply want to present my ISP's internet connection to the Network sockets, and also to a Wi-Fi AP (also in my garage) which requires PoE.

Caporegime
You can use two cables between the house and the switch if you turn on STP and loop detection, and set recovery timers so that links that are taken down are tested periodically and brought up where possible.

It won't be hitless but it will let you fail over between the two links with a few minutes of disruption without causing a loop. Not sure I'd bother really but the option is there.

Soldato
OP
You can use two cables between the house and the switch if you turn on STP and loop detection, and set recovery timers so that links that are taken down are tested periodically and brought up where possible.

It won't be hitless but it will let you fail over between the two links with a few minutes of disruption without causing a loop. Not sure I'd bother really but the option is there.

OK thanks.

I think I'll just patch the secondary cable to the patch panel, but wont patch it to my switch. If the line goes down I can just patch in the other line.

Back
Top Bottom