• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Woe is me, my gpu is dead

Soldato
:(

What a time to die on me. The gtx 780 was glitchy for months with random crashes in games but now its hardlocking as soon anything 3D is launched.
Having to use a backup card i keep spare a gt730.

Make sure you have a backup card folks cuz if your discrete card dies your in for a world of hurt.

Since i dont game much these days its not the end of the world but next card will meed to be more efficient so doesnt run hot and end up with a short life

Associate
That sucks, but you can get something similar or better for £100 with a 2yr warranty at a 2nd hand shop :)

The APU idea above could be nice, but shame they're so short on availability for good prices too.

Soldato
OP
Ryzen 1700 doesnt have igpu. I do game now and then as in lately 2 hours a week of mechwarrior 5.
Gtx780 just puts out a lot of heat, something like a gtx 1660 would do me well but prices are rip.
I find it odd nvidia didnt cover the low end this time with cards like a rtx 3050 etc

Soldato
OP
suffering with the gt730 since it struggles running hello neighbour. well it can run the game on lowest settings with resolution scale turned down but its a big let down compared to the gtx 780. iv bit the bullet and managed to order a cheapish card. will see if it turns up and then compare to the gt730.

Soldato
:(

What a time to die on me. The gtx 780 was glitchy for months with random crashes in games but now its hardlocking as soon anything 3D is launched.
Having to use a backup card i keep spare a gt730.

Make sure you have a backup card folks cuz if your discrete card dies your in for a world of hurt.

Since i dont game much these days its not the end of the world but next card will meed to be more efficient so doesnt run hot and end up with a short life

Short life, the 780 is going on 8 / 9 years old

Soldato
Short life, the 780 is going on 8 / 9 years old
I'd still be pretty disappointed with that. I have a bunch of cards from the 90s and 00s that work just fine. My GTX 285, which is 13 years old, still gets used in a Windows XP build. That's a pretty hot and hungry beast with a mere blower cooler to tame it, yet it's as good as new (especially after I cleaned and repasted it recently).

Soldato
I'd still be pretty disappointed with that. I have a bunch of cards from the 90s and 00s that work just fine. My GTX 285, which is 13 years old, still gets used in a Windows XP build. That's a pretty hot and hungry beast with a mere blower cooler to tame it, yet it's as good as new (especially after I cleaned and repasted it recently).

One thing to note though is those 90`s / 00`s ones probably have far superior soldering.

These days the solder is free of everything that was discovered to be good to use in the solder mix lol.

Soldato
OP
Shame that since i had the big arctic cooling accelero xtreme on it too. Hmm i guess i should test it in another system incase its my psu going bad?
But even running lower clocks and dropping tdp slider down to 60% had some very weird issues.
Problem is to get the same performance as the 780 6gb its silly money these days.
Also the heat output of the 780 was immense it flooded the case and would always be hitting the thermal limiter at 80c and be throttling.

The gt 730 is not terrible but since it struggles with switch emulation i need something on the lines of a 1030. Hevc hardware decoding is a must too these days to free up the cpu.

Do find it odd that nvidia didnt do any low end ampere cards like a 3030 which would have covered a lot of people without decent igpu. Then again i dont think there is any igpu that matches a 1030 is there?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Got x470 board. But iv already ordered a gpu now, you know its a sad state of affairs when one has to resort to gaming on a quadro card.
T600 card can be had for under 117 quid delivered new so thats the option i went with. Will be enough for the kiddo to run hello neighbour, Minecraft, and the other weirdo games he likes.
Not bad for a turing card its double the speed of a gt 1030 ddr5

Soldato
OP
Always good to keep a backup. Regret selling the r9 270x i had now lol. Didnt imagine these hard times ahead.
But going forwards i wont be going with big power hungry cards. The T600 is 40w lol and seems impressive for what it is. Should tide me over for a few years maybe till hopper arrives and see what low end options it brings

Soldato
I'd try to get an RTX 3000 series FE card.

The RTX 3060 TI FE is a pretty good deal, if you can get one. The load temps are a bit high, at 73 Celsius (only slightly less than the RTX 3070), according to this review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-founders-edition/33.html

You can buy a GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6600 XT for just over £400, but there don't seem to be many at this price at the moment. Temps can hit around 68 Celsius on these cards, according to this:
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/2vjfAiYhKRW6G8Wx27kvZF-970-80.png.webp

Edit - nvm, you've got a card now...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom