DDR5 is here, first kits on sale in July

Associate
My local PC store (Australia) listed some Geil Polaris C34 5200 White ram, and I managed to snag a kit to suit the Asus Z690 Formula I have on order from Overclockers. Put a second kit on preorder as well, but at least now when my motherboard arrives I'll be able to actually be able to test that everything works. And then actually build once the O11 Evo hopefully hits next month.

In case anyone is wondering it's $300AUS cheaper to buy the Formula from OCUK including shipping, than it is to buy it from a local store.

Associate
So is there any concrete news regarding when DDR5 will be in stock? I'm thinking about the i9-12900K, but I'll be damned if I get it and not be able to get the RAM.

Associate
Guess it's the reason why we have DDR4 versions of the Z690 then or they would have nothing to sell lol.

Versions? I'm confused. Are you saying that motherboards support both DDR4 and DDR5? Is there "special" DDR4 version for Z690? Are there separate Z690 motherboards for DDR4 and DDR5?

Soldato
Versions? I'm confused. Are you saying that motherboards support both DDR4 and DDR5? Is there "special" DDR4 version for Z690? Are there separate Z690 motherboards for DDR4 and DDR5?

Yeah sorry there are separate Z690 boards for DDR4 and DDR5, would have been nice if they could support both but nope.

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/289096/...ction-issues-in-wake-of-global-chip-shortages

Report: DDR5 Already Facing Production Issues In Wake of Global Chip Shortages
by Raevenlord Today, 18:27 Discuss (0 Comments)
DDR5 may soon have reason to be an even more expensive early-adopter piece of tech than it currently is, according to electronic component supplier 12chip. While semiconductor manufacturers worldwide grapple with logistics and components shortages, the DRAM market has been left somewhat unscathed - up to now. DRAM fabrication - even DDR5 - isn't done on leading-edge nodes but on older, more mature ones (such as 14 nm). According to 12chip, manufacturers are having no problem in scaling their DRAM manufacturing on these older nodes to meet demand.

However, DDR5 is being directly impacted by the current logistics issues due to lack of adequate Power Management Integrated Circuit (PMIC) chips - which DDR5 has integrated in the DIMM proper. Currently, lead times for PMIC orders are estimated at 35 weeks, placing additional strain on system assemblers and DRAM manufacturers - and forcing delays and bottlenecks throughout the supply chain. Additionally, the fact that PMIC chips for DDR5 are ten times as expensive as equivalent DDR4 power management solutions doesn't bode well for future price action on DDR. Should this situation continue, higher prices for DDR5 modules are to be expected due to a deteriorating supply/demand ratio - particularly relevant if you're thinking about putting together Intel's . As always, take this report with a grain of salt.

Associate
I think we will see a lot upgraders just going with the DDR4 boards for now from the looks of things i can not see a change for at least 12 months or more and it takes two years or more for refinement to the dimms to get good timings and speeds also.

Associate
DDR5 is the last piece I'm in need of and up on refreshing my searches today was pleased to see some new ones added to OC's page but still unavailable, I hope it just means they will be in soon.

Associate
Dear god this is painful... Like many others have said, DDR5 is the only thing I need to order for my system. It doesn't help that you cant pre-order it. :/

Associate
Haha, yeh @Cryfreeman, tell me about it. I have built most of the system. Ordered one of them Corsair iCUE H150i Elite LCD 360 all in one coolers. Should be getting that early Dec along with the last case fan (rear exhaust fan, similar to the ones on the CPU cooler).

By the way, anyone with the normal Capelix heads can change for an LCD screen. Around £100. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5d82rT7sa0&t=27s

Last edited:
Associate
Well... I got fed up of waiting for pre-order from OCUK so have pre-ordered from another well known online shop. Due in on the 10th Dec.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom