Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Associate
First PC platform upgrade since exactly 5 years ago from the trusty 6th gen i7 6700K :cool:

A monumental upgrade for sure. I'm more excited about the cable management I'm about to redo as the old build was super clean, this will be even nicer in the new case.

The case is the Corsair 5000D Airflow and mobo arriving tomorrow Gigabyte Gaming-X Z690.

Keen to hear what the performance jump is like and what you use the machine for. I'm currently rocking the 6700k and itching to upgrade :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Keen to hear what the performance jump is like and what you use the machine for. I'm currently rocking the 6700k and itching to upgrade :D

I play some games but mostly it's productivity, video and photo editing.

Here's what I've noticed so far:
- Lightroom is way faster. Processing, importing, exporting and editing, it just feels instant now and batch exports that took just above an hour before takes around 20 minutes now.
- Gaming, the 1% lows and overall minimum fps has risen up and become completely sustained. Cyberpunk 2077 would struggle with RTX enabled at 2560x1080 before and hover in the 40fps range when RTX was set to Ultra and DLSS set to balanced. All other settings on Ultra. With this CPU it's now 60fps and none of the dips that I used to see on the 6700K. CPU utilisation is 35% ish with the 2070 Super at 99% with these settings now. Thread Director puts all threads to use as well so that 35% isn't just under a handful of cores, all 20 threads are utilised which is great to see and their usage is even:

ikdrW6K.jpg
(The E-Cores are the last 4 threads)

My 6700K used to regularly hit 90 degrees under full load too but this just hovers around 75 degrees max and that's when exporting in Lightroom. Gaming temps are 60-65, normal usage temps are below 30 degrees.

if you do just gaming and some productivity then the 12600K would be the one I'd go for. Cheaper but still has 6 P cores and 4 E cores totalling 16 threads. Very powerful for gaming and will easily lunch through games for years if kept well fed with a modern GPU.

Associate
I play some games but mostly it's productivity, video and photo editing.

Here's what I've noticed so far:
- Lightroom is way faster. Processing, importing, exporting and editing, it just feels instant now and batch exports that took just above an hour before takes around 20 minutes now.
- Gaming, the 1% lows and overall minimum fps has risen up and become completely sustained. Cyberpunk 2077 would struggle with RTX enabled at 2560x1080 before and hover in the 40fps range when RTX was set to Ultra and DLSS set to balanced. All other settings on Ultra. With this CPU it's now 60fps and none of the dips that I used to see on the 6700K. CPU utilisation is 35% ish with the 2070 Super at 99% with these settings now. Thread Director puts all threads to use as well so that 35% isn't just under a handful of cores, all 20 threads are utilised which is great to see and their usage is even:

ikdrW6K.jpg
(The E-Cores are the last 4 threads)

My 6700K used to regularly hit 90 degrees under full load too but this just hovers around 75 degrees max and that's when exporting in Lightroom. Gaming temps are 60-65, normal usage temps are below 30 degrees.

if you do just gaming and some productivity then the 12600K would be the one I'd go for. Cheaper but still has 6 P cores and 4 E cores totalling 16 threads. Very powerful for gaming and will easily lunch through games for years if kept well fed with a modern GPU.

Thank you, I'm mostly going down the productivity route, don't do a lot of gaming these days, fancy doing a smaller build too

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
AMD for anything crunchy/video/rendering related! The 5950Xs are the dogs proverbials.

Lol apart from a few specific applications for productivity, but it loses or is matched everywhere else. The new Intels offers better value for money too. The 5950x is £330 more expensive for the CPU alone whilst not offering anywhere near double the performance. Just look at any review.

Soldato
A win and a lose, had to replace a Hue dimmer switch control and seems they have updated the styling. What's nice is the finish is no longer cheap glossy plastic, now nice matte finished and feels a bit sturdier.

The lose part is the shape is different so it doesn't fit on the old magnetic wall bracket.

Think I preferred the old button layout too having a dedicated on and off button rather than a combo one with the Hue button cycling modes/scenes.

KpChP1c.jpg

I assume that you’ve got no Alexa/Google hence the switch?

Soldato
New desk for working from home. Just got to move my stuff over now. Maybe could do with a final coat of oil first though.

Ignore the scabby carpet, next job is to replace it with some decent laminate :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom