Icy Windows

Soldato
Interesting. But that article is talking about idling while stationary - not about leaving the car running while you're not even in it.

And even then it contains this sentence:
"In England and Scotland, leaving your engine on while parked on the road or in a public place could land you with a fine."

I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm genuinely not sure myself - but I don't think that article really proves it one way or another.

Soldato
However, assuming their use of 'on the road' is straightforward, the "Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) regulations do seem to support you. Regulation 107:

Leaving motor vehicles unattended
107.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

Soldato
4L washing up bowl of tepid water - pour some on driver's door, passenger door, rear window,
unlock doors, open drivers door put work stuff on passenger seat,
now use rest of water to clear windscreen, jump in, start car, run wipers and drive off - all done in less than a minute.
put bowl in passenger well.
works on a saloon / 3 series , but with an suv doubt you can easily pour water across surface of windscreen, unless you 6ft.

Soldato
What's your favourite method to prevent icy windows? I know you can get covers but then i've also read make your own de-icer with rubbing alocohol in a squirty bottle with water (some say that can damage the seals on the window though).
I just use the heated front & rear screens to clear the ice

But i do sometimes pour water over the side windows to clear them

Associate
It maybe an expensive option but buy an electric car, when you replace your current car.

My MG5 starts clearing the screen within 5 or so seconds.

Our get one that you can set the heaters to come in earlier that you need to drive.
Mines not that posh:cry:

Soldato
I had a bit of an incident this morning, and it has happened a couple of times. Windscreen has seemed fined, so I've just driven off, and then 30 seconds later I can't see anything at all. This morning I thought I was going to crash so I had to pull over abruptly and hope that there hadn't been a car parked at the side of the road.

What's more annoying is that it's a relatively new car - 19 plate Audi Q2.

I've just ordered one of these so I can quickly plug it in in the morning instead of waiting for the engine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114895353841

Weirdly, the problem is always on the inside and never on the outside.

Soldato
I had a bit of an incident this morning, and it has happened a couple of times. Windscreen has seemed fined, so I've just driven off, and then 30 seconds later I can't see anything at all. This morning I thought I was going to crash so I had to pull over abruptly and hope that there hadn't been a car parked at the side of the road.

What's more annoying is that it's a relatively new car - 19 plate Audi Q2.

I've just ordered one of these so I can quickly plug it in in the morning instead of waiting for the engine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114895353841

Weirdly, the problem is always on the inside and never on the outside.

isnt it just a case of the slightly warmer air in the ducting hitting the cold window and condensing after setting off? Best bet is give the fans a quick full blast before setting off, you’ll probably find it steams up but pop the heated windscreen on and it should go away pretty quickly.

Soldato
interior air filter is not bunged up ?

If I remember I usually try to open the windows a jar before I end journey, and blow through cold air, as it has less moisture,
but equally starting a journey, and waiting fot climate / A/C to become effective opening windows may expel some moist air.

with new cars having double glazed side windows , that can only hinder their de-frost , necessiating tepid water etc.

Soldato
isnt it just a case of the slightly warmer air in the ducting hitting the cold window and condensing after setting off? Best bet is give the fans a quick full blast before setting off, you’ll probably find it steams up but pop the heated windscreen on and it should go away pretty quickly.

interior air filter is not bunged up ?

If I remember I usually try to open the windows a jar before I end journey, and blow through cold air, as it has less moisture,
but equally starting a journey, and waiting fot climate / A/C to become effective opening windows may expel some moist air.

with new cars having double glazed side windows , that can only hinder their de-frost , necessiating tepid water etc.

Good ideas guys, thank you. I'll give that all a go today/tomorrow.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Set my car to preheat before work, to avoid any icy shenanigans.

Definitely DON’T use IPA/rubbing alcohol unless you want to ruin your window seals.

Back
Top Bottom