Two-thirds of drivers 'unaware of mobile penalties'

Soldato
Interesting. I'm sure last time I looked the official line on this was, "We don't want your dashcam footage as we don't have time to even review it". Wonder if it various from force to force.

Unfortunately it's force dependant and while most have signed up to it to some degree some forces still refuse to accept it, unless they're asking for it.

Ironically the forces that don't accept it also seem to be some of the worst performing forces.

There was a case a couple of years ago where footage of a very dangerous driver was submitted to my local force (South Yorkshire) and they refused to deal with it. A few weeks later that driver, still driving like a lunatic, ran over 2 kids, killing one. The previously submitted footage surfaced & the force was absolutely vilified.

Soldato
I just don't get it, why oh why isn't the use of any mobile or touch screen device be banned from any use unless the vehicle is stationary and parked in a safe place. How many more adults or children, need to be killed until the government takes the responsible path?
There is no need to be distracted at all whilst driving if using voice control that all mobiles or ICE's can use for necessary interaction for a journey. The use of social media, Spotify, or any other streaming music and games are not a necessary part of going from a to b..

Soldato
Interesting. I'm sure last time I looked the official line on this was, "We don't want your dashcam footage as we don't have time to even review it". Wonder if it various from force to force.

The ones round here are fairly decent if you throw some video evidence at them, whether that's because you've done half the job or not i'm not sure.

We have CCTV on the house & it's scum galore around here but if ever we say we have them on camera they generally turn up the same day wanting footage copies and they always follow up, we've had 2 scummers messing round on our garden & try the doors, one nicked a catalytic converter & battery from a car I was stripping, they caught both of them.

Soldato
I just don't get it

mazda still don't do any touch screens afaik for this reason,
otherwise it's a bit like cigarettes were the evidence of any touch screen contribution to accidents is, as yet, undetermined, just North america safety and japanese studies showing distraction time periods - but, when accurate eye tracking/drowsiness mechansims are pervasive maybe that gives objective data.

In the middle of the windscreen, where it is illegal.
this no ?
The sat nav should be in your line of sight, but not in a position that blocks your view of the road. Obviously, installing your suction mount in the dead centre of your windscreen is a major hazard, and you’ll be quickly penalised while driving in this manner.
so .. centre, on top of dash where you can see over top - ok

e:
Feels like you'd have been better off bumping this thread, which was already about these changes.
sorry didn't see that one , but will read through it.

Last edited:
Soldato
mazda still don't do any touch screens afaik for this reason,
Audi are proudly boasting that everything will be controlled by touchscreens in the future, they're not far off that as the current A4 has done away with the circular touch pad that was mounted on the center console.
But Mazda still have a touchscreen in some of their vehicles https://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/howto-touchscreen?language=en-RW
All manufacturer's are doing is circumnavigating the current, and future, mobile phone laws..

Caporegime
perfectly ok for a manufacturer to sprout a tablet out of the dash in the middle of the windscreen though, right...

Yeah that was my first thought when I heard the news about the new rules today. Why is it a problem to scroll through your playlists on your mobile even when you are stopped at traffic lights but fine for me to scroll through my 15" touchscreen display to do the same? Manufacturers all seem to be getting rid of buttons and goind touchscreen for everything sadly.

In my old cars i could change channel, alter aircon/heating and other functions purely by touch without even glancing away from the road.

Back
Top Bottom