moving away from server 2019

Ish

Ish

Associate
Hi All

I helped a small local charity setup a used Dell server which is running server 2019 and they used it for AD, file server and a few gpo's. They have 5 clients.

They now want to get rid of the server and just keep their files on onedrive/teams as they don't really work from an office anymore.

Is there anyway of managing the clients at all without a server. The main thing is to ensure that they are saving on onedrive/teams rather then locally on the the client where files could be lost.

Soldato
Hi All

I helped a small local charity setup a used Dell server which is running server 2019 and they used it for AD, file server and a few gpo's. They have 5 clients.

They now want to get rid of the server and just keep their files on onedrive/teams as they don't really work from an office anymore.

Is there anyway of managing the clients at all without a server. The main thing is to ensure that they are saving on onedrive/teams rather then locally on the the client where files could be lost.

If you mean management from a central location like group policy, updates, av etc etc then I believe there are certain products out there which can do it with a locally installed agent.

The obvious shout out would be office365 and intune (but cost). I'm sure there's other third party products which are pretty good.

Soldato
Microsoft are quite generous with charities, might be worth contacting them - you could then use Azure AD which gives you all that they would require for either free or a greatly reduced cost

Ish

Ish

Associate
OP
Thanks both. I was just looking at Azure today as they do get basic Azure AD as part of their non profit office 365 subscription.

Permabanned
oh honestly for 5 users it wouldn't even be worth having a central server. If you get them 0365 with a 1TB storage plan or even more if they need it - it should be enough space as long as they have a good connection they should be alright.

Then redirect their desktops to a OneDrive location for each system, nothing will be lost then.

You can manage workstations no problem free now remotely with Quick Assist.

What speeds their net?

Back
Top Bottom