******** The Official amateur radio thread ********

Commissario
OP
Weren't some of those 200 Watt jobbies? They always have nice sounding audio and seem to have been around forever. I have never seen one in the flesh, I guess they must be pretty small?
Yup, they did two versions, the 480HX which was 200W and the 480SAT which is 100W but with a built in ATU. The control head is larger and heavier than the average mobile radio but it'll be a lot easier to mount in the car than a full sized radio. The main body will go in the boot and be fixed under the parcel shelf.

Looking forward for seeing pics of the dish when it's all done.

Permabanned
AHH, right, thanks Feek, I didn't realize the front came off!

I'll try and remember to take some photos of the bits pre and post assembly of the dish, right now the dish is strapped to two trees in the wood and the wife thinks (hopes) that's where it's staying ;)

Every time I see it I think "That's a BIIIIG dish she'll go mad when it's in the back garden..."

Good luck with the Kenwood install.

Soldato
I got my x-50 up and running. I could have sworn I ordered the N type version but imagine my surprise when I noticed it is so-259 :D

The others on the net said it was a great improvement although the audio is still very quiet. I've ordered a handheld mic/speaker thingy to see if that helps.

Commissario
OP
I noticed it is so-259
Good stuff, I wonder how high you've managed to get it?

PL-259 is the male
SO-239 is the female :)

Having a stronger signal won't make any difference to your audio level although if the signal is weak to start with, making it stronger may improve the signal to noise.

Baofengs are a bit hit and miss for audio, I've got two of them, one is absolutely fine, the other is quiet. I managed to make it a bit better by slightly enlarging the hole in the plastic case that's in front of the microphone but you have to be really careful when you do it otherwise you risk damaging the insert.

I did some aerial work at the weekend, got it in before the weather gets bad for the winter. Next year, I'm going to replace the questionable, cheap quality RG213 copy with Hyperflex.

Dish looks good @Chris Wilson - I hadn't spotted the picture initially.

Soldato
PL-259 is the male
SO-239 is the female :)

Oh why are the numbers different? I hadn't noticed that! That explains the 0 search results when searching online :D

I've got it mounted in the loft so there's still room for improvement. I'd like to get it outside above the pitch of the roof next year along with my flightaware antenna but i'll get someone in to do that for me, i'm not one for heights.

I did read up on the baofeng audio issues and I did consider enlarging the mic hole but decided I'd quite like a handheld mic anyway.

Soldato
@Uhtred - Welcome to the empty pocket hobby. There is always something new to buy, I suspect an FM mobile is next for you, or if you are really getting the bug a shack-in-a-box like the FT991a.

Edit: not much to report been busy with other stuff (No surprise - No FT8 yet.)

In October I managed to work J5T on 4 bands in a weekend between work and sorting the garden out, I was really happy with that. In the log in 3DA0RU on 10m only my worst band but impossible elsewhere due to the pile up.

I got HD8R on 15m only and S90K on 17 only too.

Managed to work K3LR on 80 in the contest with a temporary inverted L with only 6 radials (and 100w) which I was really chuffed about.

Feeders are in the shed whilst we have building work done so not much happening at the moment.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Welcome to the empty pocket hobby. There is always something new to buy
I went for almost ten years without any major changes in the shack. I say 'major' but I did chop in my 590S for a 590SG almost exactly half way through and picked up a couple of handhelds as well. The 590 is such a good radio that about the only things I really spent any money on were aerials and even then, once I'd got the Hexbeam up, my only changes were different wire aerials which were cheap to build.

I've obviously spent a lot more this year but no matter how much time I spend browsing the retailer sites, nothing jumps out shouting "buy me". I was waiting for a price for the ID-52 to be announced to see if that tempted me but it's far too expensive. I can get a spare replacement valve for the amplifier for less than that (and am waiting for Acom to send me payment instructions).

My next project is to build the QDX kit I've got here and I'm going to enjoy melting the solder on that build. If I get time, I'll start it one evening this week. It's CQ WW CW at the end of the month and I'm looking forward to that too.

I have a tri-band (2m/70cms/23cms) Diamond on order which should be here some time in December so there will be more aerial work to do. I'm going to take down the 10m vertical and the Diamond X510, use the coax that's on the X510 for the new vertical and the coax that's on the 10m vertical on the X510. That'll give me the tri-band jobbie with the better coax, slightly higher than the current aerial. I don't use the 10m vertical much and it's developed a fault anyway so that's no loss.

While I'm in the shack, I generally monitor the local UHF repeater, the local D-Star repeater and the YSF reflector that's used by local people along with the 890 being somewhere on HF, wherever there's things to listen to. Now the evenings are dark, the higher HF bands are totally dead in the evenings and sometimes I just like to tune up above 40m and listen to broadcast SW stations. Right now, I'm listening to China Radio International on 7,350.000 kHz.

kyKcXWe.png

Damn, I always write too much when it comes to radio. I'm still just so enthusiastic!

Soldato
I went for almost ten years without any major changes in the shack. I say 'major' but I did chop in my 590S for a 590SG almost exactly half way through and picked up a couple of handhelds as well. The 590 is such a good radio that about the only things I really spent any money on were aerials and even then, once I'd got the Hexbeam up, my only changes were different wire aerials which were cheap to build.

I've obviously spent a lot more this year but no matter how much time I spend browsing the retailer sites, nothing jumps out shouting "buy me". I was waiting for a price for the ID-52 to be announced to see if that tempted me but it's far too expensive. I can get a spare replacement valve for the amplifier for less than that (and am waiting for Acom to send me payment instructions).

My next project is to build the QDX kit I've got here and I'm going to enjoy melting the solder on that build. If I get time, I'll start it one evening this week. It's CQ WW CW at the end of the month and I'm looking forward to that too.

I have a tri-band (2m/70cms/23cms) Diamond on order which should be here some time in December so there will be more aerial work to do. I'm going to take down the 10m vertical and the Diamond X510, use the coax that's on the X510 for the new vertical and the coax that's on the 10m vertical on the X510. That'll give me the tri-band jobbie with the better coax, slightly higher than the current aerial. I don't use the 10m vertical much and it's developed a fault anyway so that's no loss.

While I'm in the shack, I generally monitor the local UHF repeater, the local D-Star repeater and the YSF reflector that's used by local people along with the 890 being somewhere on HF, wherever there's things to listen to. Now the evenings are dark, the higher HF bands are totally dead in the evenings and sometimes I just like to tune up above 40m and listen to broadcast SW stations. Right now, I'm listening to China Radio International on 7,350.000 kHz.

Damn, I always write too much when it comes to radio. I'm still just so enthusiastic!

I bet the 590 and 590sg, and the MA5B and the tower cost a few quid. A bit more than a boefang to a FT2980 to a FT991a.

I had my IC7600 for approx 5 years, prior to that I had my FT2000 for 5 years, but I always find myself looking at new things to upgrade and buy. As an example, I've had my full licence for about 10 years and have been looking to buy an amp, will I buy an entry level Acom for £1800 or £2500 for an SPE or even the matching PGXL at a whopping £7200 - probably not! Would I like to - absolutely!

Commissario
OP
I bet the 590 and 590sg, and the MA5B and the tower cost a few quid. A bit more than a boefang to a FT2980 to a FT991a.
Aye they did - They were paid for by an insurance claim after a very near lightning strike that did a lot of damage. The main thing it killed was my 847 which in turn was paid for by selling some Eve accounts :)
There was only one radio at the time which was still available new that included 4m so that's what the claim was for and because it was so expensive, it bought me the 590, the mast and the MA-5B.

You edited your post afterwards so I didn't see your other comments until just now.

In October I managed to work J5T on 4 bands in a weekend between work and sorting the garden out, I was really happy with that. In the log in 3DA0RU on 10m only my worst band but impossible elsewhere due to the pile up.

I got HD8R on 15m only and S90K on 17 only too.

Managed to work K3LR on 80 in the contest with a temporary inverted L with only 6 radials (and 100w) which I was really chuffed about.

I didn't work J5T but did manage to get J5HKT on 30m which I think was part of the same group. Four bands is good stuff, well done. I made one slot with 3DA0RU on 17m but I've not worked HD8 since 2014! The US on 80m is good.

I failed to work FK8IK during CQ WW, he was a big signal but I just couldn't break the pileup, that was a real shame as it would have been an ATNO. I gave up as band conditions changed and he just faded away. Grrrrr.

Permabanned
Went over to near Silverstone yesterday, a radio buff was moving to Germany and the buyers of his nice house were, unsurprisingly, not overly keen on having a 40 foot lattice work telescopic mast on (in....) the drive and a 10 foot satellite dish on a huge and Heath Robinson mount in the back garden. He tried to sell them (a new Andrew dish like this, of the same 3 meter) size, without a mount is about seven grand Sterling), but no one wanted to tackle getting the mast down and the ground tube neatly out of the block paved drive, and <SNIP SEE EARLIER POST #456>

as-found.JPG

dish3.JPG

dish5.JPG
[/QUOTE]

Time has passed and I have now decided on how I want to mount the dish. The Heath Robinson affair that came with it has been stripped down, a new ground mount tube purchased and I have welded a flange on so the above ground section can be unbolted at the rings. I also welded on some angle iron to give more resistance to the tube trying to rotate in the concrete, as the wind loading on a 3 meter dish is huge.It makes it removable without cutting and damaging the galvanizing I had done after acid dipping.

Once the main ground post (which is the one on the floor by the sleepers) is in concrete I can then use the tractor to lift the top mounting tube onto it and bolt them together with 16mm bolts. I added a slotted quadrant plate pairing to the top mounting swivel plate. These plates allow the dish mountings to rotate around the main tube. I added grease nipples and surface ground the plates smooth after cutting them from the main tube to allow galvanizing without the zinc "welding" them solid. That allows me to adjust the rotational position of the dish, then lock it up solid. when on the satellite. Elevation is by LH and RH threaded rod ended tubes (not shown, stored in the workshop). Three more rod ended tubes act as a tripod to further support the 3 meter dish main tube. Everything is now here to start the ground work, I just need a dry spell for the high water table here to subside.

In other news the recent wind brought a disaster. At 5.30 AM I was awoken by a huge gust of wind and then an almighty crash. The top section of my 60 foot tower had failed, crippled and bent 180 degrees, bring three antennas including my prized Gem cubical quad down into the back garden, along with three attached wire HF antennas. I was devastated by the damage and mess, but decided a stoical approach was best, so waterproofed and booted, with a torch in my teeth I started cutting and unbolting at 6.00 AM. still in the dark and pouring rain. I was determined the tower would be relieved of its broken top section, and, after bringing the rest down, the antenna remains stripped, labelled and packed away in the workshop, co-axial cables removed and coiled and labelled and the remaining two tower sections re-erected with at least two of the broken HF wire antennas re-attached and operable again.

I managed it all by 6.00 PM and was having a beer talking on 40 meters bu half past :) You can see the cut out crippled section of the top of the mast on my trailer. and the two good pieces of the cut up top section left, by and on the sleepers. I have sourced some steel tube to recreate the mangled section and steel reinforcement rod to go down each of the three main legs to joint all back up before I weld it and prepare the the 10mm lattice work rods that reinforce each telescoping section. I managed to find some new, ultra rare and obsolete arms to replace the broken ones for the cubical quad, which have arrived, and have also now repaired the 2 meter Yagi with some new aluminium. Lots of damage but cost wise not looking as bad as I feared, although many hours labour needed.

mount1.JPG

mount2.JPG

mount3.JPG

mount4.JPG

mount5.JPG

mount6.JPG

mount7.JPG

mount8.JPG

mount9.JPG

Last edited:
Associate
I know there are a couple ham members on here. I've got the VHF.UHF radios on for the first time in ages analog and DMR all in scan mode and its officially dead. No HF rig set up at this time.

I've been so into mucking about with computers Ham radio got boring it has really died HF still hanging on but no life on 4/2/70CMs

Associate
I can't even get an X30 up for decent VHF/UHF reception without whiny Karen's complaining to the council about stuff they have no clue about.

Associate
Yes, I'll just merge this with our big thread..... https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-official-amateur-radio-thread.18360534/

There are a few of us :)

@Chris Wilson How are you getting on, Chris? I missed your post a few days ago.
Awesome. Thanks for that I had no idea there was an amateur radio thread on here, Luckily I live upon fairly high ground so I can use VHF and UHF OK but with indoor antennas but I much prefer when I had my x30 outside above the roof I was getting amazing distances.

My local repeaters are:
GB3OY
GB3NS
GB7NS
GB7GP
GB3HW
GB3AL
GB3EL
All from an indoor antenna
Some others... I can get into some times
A gateway in South End
GB3EK
GB3AU
GB3FN
GB3GF
There was another one in Essex but I can't remember what the call sign of the repeater was at this time. Its on two meters and has excellent coverage.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
I've got the VHF.UHF radios on for the first time in ages analog and DMR all in scan mode and its officially dead.

We still have a fairly decent amount of activity here although the storms did take out the aerial at one of our repeater sites. We're going to have to replace both the aerial and the coax (as a 20' pole and the aerial were hanging off the coax for a fortnight), so we'll take the opportunity to take the repeaters away and give them a service as well.

No HF rig set up at this time.
HF has been getting busier and busier recently - We're moving steadily into cycle 25 and I'm feeling confident about it, I reckon it'll be a decent one.

What aerial are you using for VHF/UHF if you can't even put an X30 up?

Associate
We still have a fairly decent amount of activity here although the storms did take out the aerial at one of our repeater sites. We're going to have to replace both the aerial and the coax (as a 20' pole and the aerial were hanging off the coax for a fortnight), so we'll take the opportunity to take the repeaters away and give them a service as well.

HF has been getting busier and busier recently - We're moving steadily into cycle 25 and I'm feeling confident about it, I reckon it'll be a decent one.

What aerial are you using for VHF/UHF if you can't even put an X30 up?
I'm literally using a four element homemade yagi for 70 CMS and a dipole for 2 meters. They work well indoors because of my location but I do better on the X30 when I had the 4 meter antenna I was booming out on a viper wire antenna taped to a telescopic fiber glass pole of the balcony

Commissario
OP
A few years ago, I went for a talk at the local radio club and it was about radio telescopes.

It was the most utterly boring two hours I've ever had in my life. It wasn't just mind numbing, it was coma inducing. There was a member of the Arts Nobbling Council there who only survived by gnawing one of his own legs off.

So no, I haven't built my own radio telescope :D

Back
Top Bottom