Subscription fatigue

Associate
The amount we currently pay for various subscription streaming services isn't good value for money.
Am thinking of rotating them monthly.
For instance....
1. Netflix
2. DisneyPlus
3. NOWtv
4. DiscoveryPlus
Etc
Etc

Then binge watch the stuff we want to see on each service for a month before cancelling and moving to the next service.

How are others managing subscriptions?

Soldato
I have Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime - still cheaper than I used to pay for Sky!

Disney gives the poorest value for money for me personally, but my kids love it so it's worth picking up an annual subscription.

Soldato
I have Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime - still cheaper than I used to pay for Sky!

Disney gives the poorest value for money for me personally, but my kids love it so it's worth picking up an annual subscription.

I have the same as you and refuse to get anymore, Amazon prime is used a lot and Netflix, Disney is the worse value because only i use it for star wars and making my way through every episode of 24. It'll probably get cancelled next year and then started again if there is a new star wars series.

The kids only care about Netflix also have basic Virgin for terrestrial TV but it never gets used.

I'm happy with that for now, the main benefit is no adverts, absolutely cannot stand adverts but I suspect prices will start to increase slowly over the coming years.

Soldato
I've been using Disney+ a lot lately. We have all 3 with maybe some extras.

OP get used to it, it's the way the market is heading.

Soldato
I'm on a strict limit of 3 subs at one time. I reckon it'll always be Netflix & Amazon (Amazon has the USP of the shipping, music and other stuff as well). Atm I also have BritBox, but before subbing to anything else that will be cancelled.

As it gets more fragmented though, I feel my sea legs and the craving for rum surfacing.

Soldato
Cancelled them all, too fragmented, not enough quality, too much woke trash. Modern entertainment (and everything else) is rapidly turning into "Can we pick your pocket every month?" - And my answer to that is, "No you can't, **** off".

Associate
OP
its already too fragmented, has been for quite a while and will only get worse
I think your wrong and its only a matter of time before things start consolidating.

After the Pandemic all of the big content creators are yanking content to create there own streaming services to rival Netflix. Problem is you now have to sign up to multiple services to watch what you want. The cost to consumers is simply unsustainable. What's going to happen is people are going to do what I'm going to do and sign up for 1/2 months a year and binge watch the crown jewels then cancel.

Once the market has settled down the big players will create a premium service for a premium price. Britbox being a case in point....... none of them went it alone.

Associate
I have Netflix, which is shared between 4 households (although I pay for my parents and brother), so that's £10.50/month.
I also have Amazon Prime which is shared between 2 households (but I pay for my parents), so that's £6.66/month.
I also have Disney+ which is shared between 3 households (but I pay for 2 of those due to a friend dropping out), so that's £3.33/month

We watch all 3 quite frequently. Disney+ is very good value now. For £20/month, which also includes all the other benefits of Amazon Prime (like twitch, music, prime gaming, etc) I'd say that is fantastic value for money. I used to pay £50 for Virgin Media with their low TV package and 200MB fibre. I pay an additional £32 for just the fibre, so the total is only £2 more, for MUCH better content.

In terms of music, apart from Amazon Music, I also have a Spotify Family account shared between 5 of us, so pay another £6.80/month for that (I pay for my missus too).

In total the price for all streaming services is £27.29, for two people or £13.65 per person. Not bad.
This obviously excludes the fact that another 3 people are part of this price, due to paying for my parents and brother.

Soldato
i just use freeview / freesat and dont care about new movies since they are usually naff these days. I cant even be bothered with the new Bond movie

Soldato
Besides the price creep, I think what's worse is that all of this different services and apps have wildly different user experiences. Not a single one seems to treat basic TV remote controls the same way, e.g. some will rewind in real time, others skip back 10 seconds at a time, different buttons do differents things etc. It's frustrating enough for me at times, but older folks like my parents just end up giving up because nothing works the way they expect it to.

At least when most of the good stuff was only on Sky, you had it all in one place with one remote and a single UI.

Soldato
We have Amazon prime for the delivery and use the video side of it, maybe 3-4 times a week. Mainly for kids stuff. The odd film for us.
Netflix we have had for years. Always on for kids and us.
Disney+ mainly for the kids. Lots of content for them so I can't see us getting rid of that.
I pay £25 per month for Virgin 200mb, no SKY, no terrestrial TV, nothing. Just the 3 streaming services.

Pretty sure I can get some discount on Disney and Netflix on my O2 mobile account but never actually looked properly.

If we were to get rid of one it would be Amazon but we shop there loads so it's a no-brainer to keep it.

Soldato
I have Netflix, disney + and Apple tv

I can't be bothered to keep cancelling netflix as there is always something coming along on that, disney + not so much but its relatively cheap at £7.99, apple tv I dont really count as thats part of my apple family sub.

Anymore subs and I would start cancelling and renewing as and when.

Back
Top Bottom