2 birds one stone :)

Soldato
Hey

So, with black Friday coming up I'm looking to get my 4 year old a tablet.

I think £150ish is reasonable amout? What would you guys recommend for that sort of money?

Next one, recommendation for a radio app? I used to use TuneIn many years ago but it's a subscription now. Anything that's good that's like having DAB in the car?

Thanks for any input

Soldato
Get an Amazon kids tablet, it's the only one you will have full control over as an adult.

All 4 of my kids have had them (eldest is not 16 youngest is 3) and the parent Portal allows you to set access times, work requirements and restrict web/app store access (so no unknown buying or hidden costs). The first year of Amazon kids is included in the purchase as is a 2 year anything happens insurance that will replace the tablet like for like no matter what.

If you have prime then Amazon kids is extended for the life of your prime membership.

The tablets interface is specifically designed to make it easy for kids to see what they want and for you as the adult to make it happen. The interface also grows with the child so becomes more grown up looking and interface similar to normal android to break them into more adult surroundings. On the plus side the tablet can be used by an adult in adult/parent mode as a fully fledged Amazon tablet.

For kids it's a no brainer. We picked up all of ours during Black Friday over the last 10 years or so. Price usually drops by £35-50 check camelcamelcamel for a rough idea. We have also found the 8 inch version with bump case to be the best size for small hands.

Soldato
As for radio, what stations do you listen to? The BBC Sounds app is great (we use it a lot) other than that each station usually has its own app or web service.

Associate
I've got the Radio Garden app on my phone after it was recommended to me. I tend to rely on BBC Sounds, so haven't used Radio Garden much. But it does seem to have a big selection of independent radio stations from around the world.

Soldato
Get an Amazon kids tablet, it's the only one you will have full control over as an adult.

All 4 of my kids have had them (eldest is not 16 youngest is 3) and the parent Portal allows you to set access times, work requirements and restrict web/app store access (so no unknown buying or hidden costs). The first year of Amazon kids is included in the purchase as is a 2 year anything happens insurance that will replace the tablet like for like no matter what.

If you have prime then Amazon kids is extended for the life of your prime membership.

The tablets interface is specifically designed to make it easy for kids to see what they want and for you as the adult to make it happen. The interface also grows with the child so becomes more grown up looking and interface similar to normal android to break them into more adult surroundings. On the plus side the tablet can be used by an adult in adult/parent mode as a fully fledged Amazon tablet.

For kids it's a no brainer. We picked up all of ours during Black Friday over the last 10 years or so. Price usually drops by £35-50 check camelcamelcamel for a rough idea. We have also found the 8 inch version with bump case to be the best size for small hands.

Just grabbed the Fire HD 10 Kids Pro for £110, missed it by 2 days last year. Lad is 5 in May and currently using a 9 year old Nexus 7 that is horridly slow.

Soldato
OP
I've got the Radio Garden app on my phone after it was recommended to me. I tend to rely on BBC Sounds, so haven't used Radio Garden much. But it does seem to have a big selection of independent radio stations from around the world.

I'll try both of them Monday. Cheers

Soldato
OP
Just about to buy the Amazon hd 10 kids pro and it's saying delivery is Jan 22nd.

Any more recommendations?

Radio garden is exactly what I was looking for, thanks chaps!

EDIT: found it at Curry's, £74.99 with code FREENEXTDAYDELIVERY

Last edited:
Soldato
4 year old a tablet ?
Surely at that age your prepping for pre school must be better options than tech

A lot of the educational apps are very good. Sure if you're just plonking your kid in front of netflix for hours on end, it's not great but used in the right way, a tablet can really develop learning a lot.

Soldato
OP
A lot of the educational apps are very good. Sure if you're just plonking your kid in front of netflix for hours on end, it's not great but used in the right way, a tablet can really develop learning a lot.

Even a short time when it's wind down time, watch a film and nod off. Or on a long car journey. They do get addictive, my older son is never off his PC,and that's my fault. So lesson learnt,I'll limit my younger son.

Back
Top Bottom