Anyone else had a handwritten letter from the JW recently?

Man of Honour
They often knock at my door. I have a chat with them and discuss the world, life general chit chat. And just wish them well and let them go about their day. No need to be rude even if I'm not interested.

We receive flyers sometimes but never a hand written note.

Soldato
Hello I'm JW. Sending letters has been part of the way we try to reach people to let them know about the benefits of studying the Bible. But now that the situation around the world changed (COVID) it has become a really important part of the way we preach.
We do not have an obligatory amount of time to preach each month, but some of us are more dedicated than others and make arrangements to spend some minutes, some hours or even 30, 50, 70 or more each month.
The letters could be handwritten or printed. This preaching work is being made around the world (currently by letter).
I hope this clarify your question. Glad to help.

In fact it is not our purpose to bother you, so a kind "no thanks" is nice.

We're being watched!

Soldato
I got one of these today! Most bizarre thing ever. A hand written letter with stamp sent via royal mail addressed to "The Resident" at my address, that reads:

"Hello there...
I am writing to you today, with the intention of giving you some good news and hope about the future of our planet. We hear many stories in the news, about the weather and how if affects our future and that of our children which can be quite disturbing. Man does not seem to be able to solve the major issues, as greed and selfishness gets in the way. But did you know God has his own plans for our future and that of our planet? A plan that can benefit all who want to turn to him for help.

Hosea 2: 18 In that day I will make a convenant (promise) for them with the wild arrivals of the field, and with the birds of the heavens and the creeping things of the ground, I will rid the land of the bow and the sword and war, And I will make them like down in security.

Here god tells us He will take over from Man, ridding the earth of the things that destroy and bring in harmony. He has the power to do this. Scan the QR code enclosed and contact me via email <! not sure if allowed to post the actual email>@gmail.com to find out more.
Kind regards
<first name only, of a female>"

Then enclosed there is a piece of small paper with jw.org on it titled "A better world is near" and a QR code and text that reads:

"Do current world events indicate that the end of the world is near? If so, can we do anything to survive the end of the world? What will happen after the end? ... The articles in this issue will reveal the Bible's comforting answers to these questions."

Caporegime
I got one of these today! Most bizarre thing ever. A hand written letter with stamp sent via royal mail addressed to "The Resident" at my address, that reads:

"Hello there...
I am writing to you today, with the intention of giving you some good news and hope about the future of our planet. We hear many stories in the news, about the weather and how if affects our future and that of our children which can be quite disturbing. Man does not seem to be able to solve the major issues, as greed and selfishness gets in the way. But did you know God has his own plans for our future and that of our planet? A plan that can benefit all who want to turn to him for help.

Hosea 2: 18 In that day I will make a convenant (promise) for them with the wild arrivals of the field, and with the birds of the heavens and the creeping things of the ground, I will rid the land of the bow and the sword and war, And I will make them like down in security.

Here god tells us He will take over from Man, ridding the earth of the things that destroy and bring in harmony. He has the power to do this. Scan the QR code enclosed and contact me via email <! not sure if allowed to post the actual email>@gmail.com to find out more.
Kind regards
<first name only, of a female>"

Then enclosed there is a piece of small paper with jw.org on it titled "A better world is near" and a QR code and text that reads:

"Do current world events indicate that the end of the world is near? If so, can we do anything to survive the end of the world? What will happen after the end? ... The articles in this issue will reveal the Bible's comforting answers to these questions."
It's bizarre until you realise they 100% believe it. All of it.

This isn't a case where the people writing to you know it's a scam and are looking for the next victim.

Be aware that they genuinely believe what they say. 100%. And they think that if you hear what they have to say, you might believe it also.

I'm not asking you to believe it, but - as I have witnesses in my own family - just understand where it's coming from.

And like @Freefaller, please be polite to them. They aren't trying to hurt you or take your money. They believe they're spreading the word of God and consider that to be an act of loving kindness. So, although they are used to mockery and (rarely these days) abuse, they don't think they deserve it.

And all the witnesses I personally know are good people. I've seen life from their side and I can honestly say they're genuine. They do this because they think they are saving your life. And yeah, I know how hard that is to believe. But they believe. And that's why you got this letter.

Commissario
OP
please be polite to them. They aren't trying to hurt you or take your money. They believe they're spreading the word of God and consider that to be an act of loving kindness. So, although they are used to mockery and (rarely these days) abuse, they don't think they deserve it.

Yup, that's exactly how I deal with them when they knock.
They've never really bothered me, I really don't see any point in being rude to them if they ever knock at the door.

I have a good friend who's a JW and we chat daily, this person has never preached to me, never really mentioned their beliefs at all. I only found out by accident after a long time that she's JW.

We were having an enthralling chat about doors earlier this week and this is part of our conversation.

SgIKFvp.jpeg

Caporegime
Yup, that's exactly how I deal with them when they knock.

I have a good friend who's a JW and we chat daily, this person has never preached to me, never really mentioned their beliefs at all. I only found out by accident after a long time that she's JW.

We were having an enthralling chat about doors earlier this week and this is part of our conversation.

SgIKFvp.jpeg
Hah! :D

They're an interesting lot, the JWs. I might have been one but for the fact that I'm a bit of a git :p And that doesn't really gel well with their beliefs :p

But, legit, I have nothing bad to say about them at all. And I grew up in and around them, going to meetings, etc, as a kid. And having family who are JWs today.

Soldato
We had one.

Told us that the day of reckoning is soon upon us. And if we don't repent our sins, we will face the highest level of punishment.

At the end, it said that donations are accepted at the next gathering.... can't make this crap up.

Soldato
Always found the JW people who live beside me to be kind and helpful. They pass the odd copy of the Watchtower to me and will talk about the creator from time to time. Over the years they have helped many people and haven’t asked for a penny back, they gave a family a 5 bedroom bungalow rent free for a year who’s luck was down.

Soldato
We've had two recently.

The second one we got was immaculately handwritten by a 14 year old girl.
I may go down to the Kingdom Hall and ask for handwriting lessons from them, my writing looks like a drunk, epileptic, ink-soaked spider attempted to samba across the page.

Associate
I had a brilliant wind up of housemate. Recently had a housemate leave with his girlfriend. Next thing my other housemate gets a JW letter, signed (the same first name as my housemate had left). So I naturally convinced him that the housemate who left was converted by his girlfriend to JW.

Back
Top Bottom