Ghostbusters: Afterlife

JRS

JRS

Soldato
How any of the reviewers thought this was c**p is baffling. Lot of unjustified negatively going around from reviewers.

Revenge for the justified negativity surrounding the '16 film.

I really enjoyed this. The cast was good, the reverence for the original films - entirely absent from the '16 one - was heartwarming, and there were even subtle nods to the cartoon (e.g. Winston's concern for the condition of Ecto 1, since he was the primary driver of her in The Real Ghostbusters).

Some stuff grated. The Ecto 1 is not the General Lee, so what was the need to show it doing a bloody jump? Other bits of the CGI were a little on the conspicuous side (bit like the '16 film in that regard). I thought Ray's falling out with Egon was a bit under-baked, given all that they went through in the original films his scepticism about Egon's panic regarding the world ending came rather out of nowhere.

Overall though very enjoyable and if they decide to take that post-credits sequel hook somewhere I'd be more than happy.

Soldato
Revenge for the justified negativity surrounding the '16 film.

I really enjoyed this. The cast was good, the reverence for the original films - entirely absent from the '16 one - was heartwarming, and there were even subtle nods to the cartoon (e.g. Winston's concern for the condition of Ecto 1, since he was the primary driver of her in The Real Ghostbusters).

Some stuff grated. The Ecto 1 is not the General Lee, so what was the need to show it doing a bloody jump? Other bits of the CGI were a little on the conspicuous side (bit like the '16 film in that regard). I thought Ray's falling out with Egon was a bit under-baked, given all that they went through in the original films his scepticism about Egon's panic regarding the world ending came rather out of nowhere.

Overall though very enjoyable and if they decide to take that post-credits sequel hook somewhere I'd be more than happy.
You mention the cgi and it not being good ala 2016. Many of the effects in this were practical. They tried to do as much as they could that way and even went as far as using the same techniques as they did in 84.

Soldato
Well most critics have gone down the revenge route. They have all been claiming that 2016 was a good funny entertaining movie and this is just fan service and rehashing the past.

But what to they know!

Soldato
The ones that moan about the film just being fan service are just trolling. References and Easter eggs to previous movies are not fan service.

It's how you make a successful sequel to a 30+ year old film franchise. A lot of love and care was put into this film.it was not a cash in movie to simply make money.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
It's how you make a successful sequel to a 30+ year old film franchise. A lot of love and care was put into this film.it was not a cash in movie to simply make money.

Yep.
  • It's a reverent nod to the original films
  • It's a loving obituary for Harold Ramis
  • It's a respectful tip o' the hat to Ivan Reitman from his son Jason
  • It's a way of telling a story in that universe without simply retreading old ground and without trying to replace what went before
They hit nearly all the right notes (and in the right order ;)). If only other film and TV people could show that kind of delicate touch when dealing with existing properties/franchises...ah, a guy can dream.

Soldato
Yep.
  • It's a reverent nod to the original films
  • It's a loving obituary for Harold Ramis
  • It's a respectful tip o' the hat to Ivan Reitman from his son Jason
  • It's a way of telling a story in that universe without simply retreading old ground and without trying to replace what went before
They hit nearly all the right notes (and in the right order ;)). If only other film and TV people could show that kind of delicate touch when dealing with existing properties/franchises...ah, a guy can dream.
Indeed. I could probably make a ridiculously long lost of franchises that have been ruined as they were remade or sequeled with no love and attention other than the thought of big bucks. Jason clearly loves the films and also really wanted to make his dad proud of his entry in the series.

Yeah people remember [insert name] let's make a new one or somehow link it to the original show or film with a reference or two. Fans will love it :rolleyes:

Soldato
Not a very good write up in the Independent either. Is there a split in opinion between critics and the public?

Very much so. Quite a few of them are the same ones that lauded the 2016 woke version, and are still salty that it got panned by the public and Sony has all but disowned it.

I expect the critics to give Aftelife a low score while the public give it a high score.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Must admit when I saw

Egon pop out and support Phobe to steady proton beam brought a tear to my eye.

Overall thought very enjoyable and if they decide to take that post-credits sequel hook somewhere I'd be more than happy.

:( I didn't know there was post scenes can someone please explain the scenes in a spoiler tag. Thx

Unless 'woke' means something else this week (it does seem to change quite frequently) then I would point out that the '16 film wasn't 'woke' - it was 'crap'.

It wasn't that good, it was atrocious, beyond a new low of astounding incompetence.

Caporegime
OP
Must admit when I saw

Egon pop out and support Phobe to steady proton beam brought a tear to my eye.

:( I didn't know there was post scenes can someone please explain the scenes in a spoiler tag. Thx

It wasn't that good, it was atrocious, beyond a new low of astounding incompetence.

Check youtube, seen someone posting them on there

Man of Honour
It is hard to enjoy films in a vacuum. I thought the 2016 film was OK, never really gave it much thought. I did find the uproar odd. I also found the uproar at the end of Game of Thrones odd. I also found the uproar at The Last Jedi odd. All warranted some disappointment from a certain perspective, but that’s all.

In my mind, because of all the 2016 film hoohah, I’m expecting a fan-service heavy, goonies adventure that is, likewise, OK. But I can’t help but resent it slightly as it proves ‘being safe’ wins. It’s frustrating that people can seemingly enjoy only their ‘preferred version / vision’.

I’ll have to try and curb this resentment as and when I do see it.

Caporegime
OP
Yes. And the ones that weren't practical effects stuck out a mile :)

Well it's a movie about ghosts, unless you happen to know where they can get a few looking a bit of work and know of a terror dog for sale im pretty sure they have either the practical or cgi options. :p

JRS

JRS

Soldato

Mid-credits there's a scene with Peter and Dana. After the credits there's a scene where Janine is talking to Winston at his work office, followed by him taking Ecto 1 back to the firehouse. The last shot is one of the containment unit with a light blinking.

Back
Top Bottom