Ridiculous business names

Caporegime
But we were simplifying down to the level that if something is memorable it has achieved its aim.

So now we seem to be agreeing that just being memorable does not make a name a success. It can be memorable for being childish, memorable for being difficult to pronounce, memorable for being offensive, etc.

Doesn't that mean that having a silly but memorable name is not automatically a good thing?

Having a silly but memorable name (if that's how you want to put it) isn't automatically a good thing but neither is it automatically a bad thing.

Soldato
Sure but what does that mean? I'm never going to like that name, and it will be a permanent negative association with that business.
Is the aim of a brand trying to sell stuff to kids for middle age blokes to 'like' the name? I don't think it is.

They'll want parents to remember it but it's the kids that they want to like it, so that they ask for it.

Soldato
Is the aim of a brand trying to sell stuff to kids for middle age blokes to 'like' the name? I don't think it is.

They'll want parents to remember it but it's the kids that they want to like it, so that they ask for it.
What if you're late 30s and still live with your daddy? Maybe he has a point?

Soldato
'Splunk' comes to mind. Sounds like an x-rated video website, but is actually all about 'big data' processing. Then again it's a very memorable name, so in that regard it's quite a good name because it's ridiculous.

Caporegime
Apparently not, as I got it wrong (see above).

But that theory is basically the same as "no such thing as bad publicity", and that remembering something for any reason is good. Just ask Prince Andrew how accurate that is...

Yeah I didn't know what it was but the highlight search function on the phone autocorrected it and told me it was kids school supplies seamlessly.

So it worked and you've advertised for them, might be a good gift for the nephew for Christmas so might look in lol.

Caporegime
But we were simplifying down to the level that if something is memorable it has achieved its aim.

So now we seem to be agreeing that just being memorable does not make a name a success. It can be memorable for being childish, memorable for being difficult to pronounce, memorable for being offensive, etc.

Doesn't that mean that having a silly but memorable name is not automatically a good thing?

Imagine being a parent shopping with a young child for school stuff.

How much fun are you gonna get watching them say that name and then smiggle themselves?
Mileaged single male is probably not thier target market for that name

Caporegime
Heck, I could name a business "Heil Hitler" and it would gain a load of publicity and be really memorable. Good thing or not?

Heh this does remind me one of the biggest apple resellers in the country with all WHITE, very white, stores is named "Stormfront".

Soldato
'Splunk' comes to mind. Sounds like an x-rated video website, but is actually all about 'big data' processing. Then again it's a very memorable name, so in that regard it's quite a good name because it's ridiculous.
Tbf someone did the maths on how much data some jizz can carry and how long it takes. It was phenomenal tbh.

Caporegime
My favourite is a carpet cleaning service I've seen a few times.

Sinbads.

Not bad in itself but he used the slogan "you've tried the cowboys, now try the indian".

Perhaps not fully in the spirit of the thread but makes me sigh and smile every time.

Soldato
My favourite is a carpet cleaning service I've seen a few times.

Sinbads.

Not bad in itself but he used the slogan "you've tried the cowboys, now try the indian".

Perhaps not fully in the spirit of the thread but makes me sigh and smile every time.
That's like the sewerage trucks going around with affluent in your effluent and satisfaction or your product back type slogans.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I blame the board meetings and think tanks led by .com dinosaurs -
"what four letter domain can we still get?"
"ding.com and dong.com is taken, boom is taken, but we can buy bing.com from previous owners for a seven figure sum?"
"sir, if I may, we still own live.com"
"forget about live.com, I want something with a bang - or bing, get me bing.com and buy all the typos as well, I want bimg.com, bibg.com, bihg.com and binf.com as well"

And then you end up with something stupid like Weeknd, tumblr, digg(g) or well.. Yahoo. ;)

Back
Top Bottom