Electric oven bulb failure

Soldato
I have a Zanuusi built in double oven and about a week ago the main oven light gave up -Got on Ebay and ordered two -one for spare -Put bulb in and was ok till oven got hot and went bang and tripped breaker -Next day I took glass cover off bulb housing and loads of broken glass spilled out -Put the other bulb in and that lasted an hour but had just failed - In the meantime I got a replacement from the seller and put that in -That failed this morning.
What are the odds of three bulbs probably made in China failing almost as soon as they are fitted - in mean time I ordered two Phillips bulbs now waiting to be fitted.
So what are the odd of three bulbs failing together or have I got an appliance fault.
The oven works perfect after setting breaker - just no light
It's been on most of the day as wife is cooking xmas cake and it hasn't missed a beat -no light of course.

We will know tomorrow when the Phillips bulb goes in.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably stating the obvious but are you using proper oven bulbs?

Double check that the cover is still sealing properly and the actual bulb holder isn't damaged. When you were running it with no light did you put the cover back in place?

Soldato
OP
Glass cover is on as it should be - I did order oven bulb and packing also said they were but it's Chinese so it could be made of noodles. I just hope the Philips bulb works tomorrow.

Soldato
Same is happening to me. My bulbs last about 1-2 months currently in a Neff oven. I've replaced with genuine Phillips. Are there no LED high temperature equivalent ones out there yet?

Soldato
Same is happening to me. My bulbs last about 1-2 months currently in a Neff oven. I've replaced with genuine Phillips. Are there no LED high temperature equivalent ones out there yet?

I was looking to replace a couple of halogens in an oven door, and while the weird format is available as an LED bulb, they are not recommended for ovens as the electronics that drive the LED don't do well in very hot environments.

Soldato
OP
Hells teeth - Screwfix sell a pair of Phillips oven bulbs for £1.75 -cheaper than Ebay single bulb.
if these Phillips work I will go for my money back - They have already sent a replacement which failed.

Soldato
OP
Put the new bulb in first thing this morning and turned oven on just the light setting -It's been on since then and is still shining it's guts off after 5.5 hrs - Big test will be the roast spuds for tonights meal.
My old bulb was a Crompton -must look for them soon. I don't trust any bulb now.

Soldato
Hells teeth - Screwfix sell a pair of Phillips oven bulbs for £1.75 -cheaper than Ebay single bulb.
yep parents philips ones , just .. £2.19/pair - that used some of the credit note we got for their failing titan hedge trimmer

Soldato
I’ve had good results with Philips oven bulbs. Original ones in our Kitchener Rangemaster lasted around 4 years. Fitted Philips replacements which were working just fine 6 years later we sold the house.

Back
Top Bottom