BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
@ThundyCat sounds like you want an Alpina. All the pace you'd ever need but softer than a proper M car?

I don't think thats what he needs at all - for a start it's going to be very old for the money compared with other stuff and also fairly difficult to find anyway. Secondly I don't think its the performance thats a problem its that the bigger cars are more refined - even an Alpina isn't going to feel like it's incredibly fast. That's not the point in cars like this - they are fast, but you're sufficiently insulated that they feel slower than they are.

I think he needs something less refined, not more. A car that feels every bit as quick as it is.

Soldato
I had a hard think about this before opting for the pre LCI car. I honestly preferred the look of it; the headlights and the front bumper/grill. I even prefer the older dial setup. I will concede however that I do really like the LCI’s rear light cluster.

Other than my preferences over looks, In the end it came down to three main areas:

Comfort. The original Competition’s ride is way too hard and brittle. If this was an M3 I may understand, but I was choosing the 5 as I wanted more comfort. The LCI Competition improves in this area with suspension from the M8, but I think the standard M5 still has the best balance and some reviewers feel the same way.

Sound. The LCI car has totally lost it’s exhaust sound. The standard car is rather muted, even with the sports exhaust, but I feel it’s been further ruined for the LCI model :( It will never sound like the E60 or E39 M5s, but you want at least some aural pleasure.

Cost. When you take the above areas into account and then factor in another £20k to get a low mileage example like mine, I just didn’t see the value.

Soldato
The M5 did get the LCI - you can see it in Matt's post as his is an LCI.

I'm not entirely convinced the LCI is, external styling wise, an improvement over the pre LCI. Particularly the headlights..
I had a hard think about this before opting for the pre LCI car. I honestly preferred the look of it; the headlights and the front bumper/grill. I even prefer the older dial setup. I will concede however that I do really like the LCI’s rear light cluster.

Other than my preferences over looks, In the end it came down to three main areas:

Comfort. The original Competition’s ride is way too hard and brittle. If this was an M3 I may understand, but I was choosing the 5 as I wanted more comfort. The LCI Competition improves in this area with suspension from the M8, but I think the standard M5 still has the best balance and some reviewers feel the same way.

Sound. The LCI car has totally lost it’s exhaust sound. The standard car is rather muted, even with the sports exhaust, but I feel it’s been further ruined for the LCI model :( It will never sound like the E60 or E39 M5s, but you want at least some aural pleasure.

Cost. When you take the above areas into account and then factor in another £20k to get a low mileage example like mine, I just didn’t see the value.

External styling wasn't really a big concern for me. It doesn't look like a dog and I sit inside looking out 99.999% of the time so it was goodies and having the latest that was my priority. Also trying to pre-empt what is going to happen over the next few years. I'm hoping the Last of the ICE only M5's with the Ultimate pack will hold their value better
The muted sound is coming to all... God knows how AMG get around it.. But they turned the pops and bangs OFF with an update a while back... To be honest I'm not that bothered about the sound.. ALthough you can turn the pumped in stuff off and its almost silent then...

I need all my senses tuned to as little as possible. This thing is a Rocket...

I cant see how ANY other car can tick more boxes as an allrounder with little downside (price and fuel aside). unless your after something specific.. Or Italian..... But try and get 4 mates and all the luggage in something Italian (SUV exempt)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I remember having what I thought was an F82 behind me, he closed a gap of about 100 yards in a second and as I pulled over (still full throttle and the F80 is no slouch) an F90 came tearing past and I may as well have been in reverse. Utter madness, I did laugh out loud. They are ludicrous cars. Congrats.

Soldato
:D

Having previously owned a C7 RS6 Performance with 600hp, I wasn’t expecting to be particularly moved by the M5’s performance. I knew it would be quick, but I was already used to that. However, on the test drive it completely surprised me when it slingshot itself out of a tight roundabout onto a stretch of dual carriageway. In the RS6 I would have needed to slow right down beforehand, gingerly navigated the roundabout before engaging thrust once I was fully passed. I laughed so much I actually when back to do it again.

The RS6 still has more actual presence however; it looks mean and people move over immediately when they see it in their rear view. The M5 just looks like most other 5s on the road, but then that has its good points too.

Man of Honour
The RS6 still has more actual presence however; it looks mean and people move over immediately when they see it in their rear view. The M5 just looks like most other 5s on the road, but then that has its good points too.

This is what is so great about the M5, the RS6 looks like something out of a Need for Speed game.

Associate
That M5 is gorgeous. What a car. Enjoy.

Went out for a drive today in the E92 335i with mate in his M2. He couldn't believe how quick it is. Said I've created a monster haha.

Suspension and subframe bushes hopefully going on soon then a good place to do the tracking

Man of Honour
Unhappy with the front of your new M3 or M4?

Need more ugliness for the back to balance it out?

q4MHr10.jpg
PgbWd9L.jpg

:eek:

You need to tick the double ugly add on option

Soldato
Well it's gonna look terrible without the wing. Also wrong colour for carbon fibre parts.

Obviously depends on taste but looks fine below if you are after the racecar look.

Man of Honour
My local dealer admitted to me that they are really struggling to shift the G80. He also said BMWFS are not offering much in terms of finance offers and the dealerships aren't getting much in the way of options to pass onto customers. I quite like it in the flesh but that front end is not something I could ever bring myself to love enough to warrant the cost of them. Then there's the whole PPF noise restrictions etc.

Soldato
My local dealer admitted to me that they are really struggling to shift the G80. He also said BMWFS are not offering much in terms of finance offers and the dealerships aren't getting much in the way of options to pass onto customers. I quite like it in the flesh but that front end is not something I could ever bring myself to love enough to warrant the cost of them. Then there's the whole PPF noise restrictions etc.

What delivery slots are available? If we are talking about slots far in the future, it's optimistic to sell them now.

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
I would guess they are far in the future (except for cancellations). As everything is sold out right now with very limited production.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9a260e06fc360c7ae2ed9da688dd0a06&t=1876718

I also thought there were problems with supply of the carbon bucket seats which are super popular.

That is the US though. They seem to have more delays and some models/options (much more than UK) they cant even currently buy atm despite the fact they are built in the US (was with my X5 anyway after ready up on that forum, loads of Americans not happy)

Back
Top Bottom