BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
I crave more upload, 100 Mbps just doesn’t cut it at times.

That's something I don't understand with these new FTTP installs. Why are they artificially restricting upload speed when there is no technical reason to do so? They had to for A/VDSL because of the wiring but fibre is different. Is it to get people to pay for business-class lines with symmetrical speeds?

Man of Honour
Working from home can be challenging at times on 17Mbps upload, really hoping this FTTP rollout gets here soon.
I feel your pain. I’m constantly downloading and uploading 20+GB ISO files for customers. FTTP has made it much better and I hated it in the old house when it would take hours.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
That's something I don't understand with these new FTTP installs. Why are they artificially restricting upload speed when there is no technical reason to do so? They had to for A/VDSL because of the wiring but fibre is different. Is it to get people to pay for business-class lines with symmetrical speeds?

It's due to the limits of the current GPON technology.

There is a faster 1000/220 package but it's £££ right now.

XGSPON should be able to offer at least 1000/1000 in the future.

Soldato
Have openreach in my area currently putting fibre along telephone poles. Anyone know how long after that’s installed before it’s available to order? I presume it probably varies massively from place to place

Soldato
Same fibre, yes. But the GPON splitters that the fibre from your house connects to, the ONT in your house and a bunch of other stuff needs to be swapped out.

I believe Openreach will be going to XGS-PON rather than XG-PON. XG = 10 Gigabit. S = Symmetrical. So XGS-PON could deliver a symmetric 10Gbps connection.

Associate
I’ve started a switch to EE for FTTP - £55 a month for 500/70 including an Apple TV and BT Sport for 2 years. 20 Gigs of extra data for our mobiles but we’re not in a desperate need for it. I’m having second thoughts though.

I don’t need Gigabit speeds as I don’t spend enough time online or WFH but I do have a digital PS5. PS5 is wired in but most other devices are on Wi-Fi. My MacBook maxes out about 75megabytes/sec currently.

I’m currently paying Giganet £49 for 1000/110. Giganet promise no price rises. I’m out of contract.

Giganet do;
£35 for 200/30.
£45 for 500/70.
£49 for 1000/110.

EE: £55 for 500/70.

I got a small amount of cash back (though only tracking at £40 atm - should be £100 eventually).

The CPI +3.9% price increase is making me think again! After 2 years of that the value in moving will be diminished. That Apple TV and BT Sport for the UFC/The Ashes is tempting though. BT Sport is £20 a month as an EE customer but not sure if I want to be tied in for 2 years.

V F

V F

Soldato
Have openreach in my area currently putting fibre along telephone poles. Anyone know how long after that’s installed before it’s available to order? I presume it probably varies massively from place to place

It can vary from 2 - 4 weeks. For me it took 6 weeks as I had no ducting. 8 weeks in total by the time the service was live in the house.

Caporegime
I’ve started a switch to EE for FTTP - £55 a month for 500/70 including an Apple TV and BT Sport for 2 years. 20 Gigs of extra data for our mobiles but we’re not in a desperate need for it. I’m having second thoughts though.

I don’t need Gigabit speeds as I don’t spend enough time online or WFH but I do have a digital PS5. PS5 is wired in but most other devices are on Wi-Fi. My MacBook maxes out about 75megabytes/sec currently.

I’m currently paying Giganet £49 for 1000/110. Giganet promise no price rises. I’m out of contract.

Giganet do;
£35 for 200/30.
£45 for 500/70.
£49 for 1000/110.

EE: £55 for 500/70.

I got a small amount of cash back (though only tracking at £40 atm - should be £100 eventually).

The CPI +3.9% price increase is making me think again! After 2 years of that the value in moving will be diminished. That Apple TV and BT Sport for the UFC/The Ashes is tempting though. BT Sport is £20 a month as an EE customer but not sure if I want to be tied in for 2 years.
Has anyone here used one of my Sky Referral codes for the 500 service? Wondering how much it comes out at after the discount.

Soldato
After a few rescheduled appointments due to have my Openreach fibre install on Thursday. Hub to arrive the day before i think from what ive read its packaged to fit in a standard letterbox, any1 able to confirm this?. Ended up opting for the 500mb from BT.

V F

V F

Soldato
After a few rescheduled appointments due to have my Openreach fibre install on Thursday. Hub to arrive the day before i think from what ive read its packaged to fit in a standard letterbox, any1 able to confirm this?. Ended up opting for the 500mb from BT.

That's some letterbox. Mine certainly couldn't fit through the letterbox.

Soldato
After 3 years of living with 3mb broadband and a temporary 4g router we're finally having 900mb FTTP installed today. No I dont need 900mb, but I deserve it after that. :cry:

Caporegime
I'm going to fill my xbox as soon as it goes live.

There is a downside to this - even games you haven't played for a while will get updates. I filled a 4TB HDD with XBox Game Pass games and got fed up when every time I switched it on, there were one or two games that started updating. Yes, it hardly matters with fibre internet but it still got on my nerves. So now I've put the HDD on my PC and mostly use Xcloud!

Back
Top Bottom