Poll: Qatar Grand Prix 2021, Lusail - Race 20

Rate the 2021 Qatar Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Bottas really could be the difference. He consistently under performs for the team. Unlucky yes, but you sometimes make your own luck. Had he not have gone backwards as usual, he wouldn't have been in that situation pushing the mediums for 33 laps.
I think the fastest lap thing is just not working like it was supposed to. It's a lottery.

Interesting to see that the majority of battles were conducted fairly as drivers do normally battle with natural instincts and protection in mind. Nobody else drives like Max.

Bottas had a bad start but would have been a solid 3rd had he been pitted for hards, Merc always seem to use him a guinea pig, this time I guess they were hoping for a SC or to pit to softs?

Soldato
I'm surprised how fragile some here are, that they genuinely think Horners comments cross the line.
For me, Marko's comment seems far worse.

“It's ridiculous. You know the FIA can't organise a proper marshalling system and they are hiding their incompetence on the shoulders of the driver. Unbelievable.”

Bound to be some sort of talking to after saying this.

Associate
What did he say? Don't get Ted over here.

Ted was telling the other pundits about the quote from Helmut Marko when Christian appeared. He said is Marko following you in there (ie, the stewards office) and then informed a very rad faced Christian of what the quote was before stepping away from the group and leaving Christian to eat some humble pie!

Associate
I'm surprised how fragile some here are, that they genuinely think Horners comments cross the line.
For me, Marko's comment seems far worse.

“It's ridiculous. You know the FIA can't organise a proper marshalling system and they are hiding their incompetence on the shoulders of the driver. Unbelievable.”

Bound to be some sort of talking to after saying this.

I don't disagree that Marko's comments were more antagonistic.

It's further evidence for me of a toxic culture within RedBull.

Man of Honour
What did he say? Don't get Ted over here.

If Horner is in trouble, then Marko may be in even more.

He said to Spanish TV - it's ridiculous. We know the FIA can't organise a proper marshalling system and they are hiding their incompetence on the shoulders of the driver. Unbelievable.

Horner then wanders in and Ted mentions this to him. Horner looks more than a little uncomfortable, struggles to come across as sincere, and says his comments about the marshals earlier weren't targeted the marshals, *cough.. ok...* but at the circumstance.

Soldato
Oh, come on. He's a racing driver. They're all like this.

There's self-belief, and then there's delusion to the point where you're not operating in reality. At least when the likes of Hamilton show their egocentricity, he's backing it up with seven world titles. When you're Verstappen genuinely thinking it's fine to barge people off the track and cause crashes (but doesn't like it when the same is done to him), then you are well off the reservation.

It's all fostered by the toxic management of Horner, Marko, Mateschitz, et al, and that's how Verstappen continues it.

Man of Honour
Horner's comments (lifted from Autosport)

Speaking to Sky F1 before the race, Horner said: “I think it’s just a rogue marshal that’s stuck a flag out and he’s not been instructed to by the FIA.

“They’ve got to have control of their marshals. It’s as simple as that because that’s a crucial blow in this world championship for us. We’re starting P7 at a track you can’t overtake at, that is massive.”

He later added: “I think there needs to be some grown-ups making grown-up decisions. Just having binary, somebody sticks a yellow flag out, it’s just frustrating.

“I think the race director should have control of the circuit. He’s the referee at the end of the day and otherwise anybody, you get a marshal that decides to stick a yellow flag out. How does that work?”

Soldato
I gave it a 6. One point for Alonso on the podium. Another for the stress of waiting to see who's tyres would burst!

Echo the comment about the VSC. The car definitely was in a dangerous position yet they only brought on the VSC after about 3 laps - once Max had retaken the fastest lap. Ooooooookay?

Bottas could really lose this championship for Hamilton. Had he stayed ahead of Max, maybe even got a P2 then things would be looking so much brighter going into the last 2 races. Now all the pressure is still on Lewis to perform absolutely perfectly and avoid Max taking him out.

Back
Top Bottom