recommended switch for console + pc to one headphones?

Man of Honour
I'm going to buy an Xbox Series X at some point unless a miracle happens with gaming PC hardware prices.

So I'm looking for a switch to make it more convenient to use one set of headphones on both devices. Same for a microphone would be a useful but not essential extra.

I had a quick look online and found about a bazillion products all claiming to do the job perfectly for a low price, usually with extra things like a volume control. And the user reviews were pretty much the same for all of them - mostly superficial glowing reviews and some reviews saying that the sound quality was significantly reduced.

My headphones are quite good (Bayerdynamic DT770 Pro) and I just want a simple switch that does nothing to the signal.

Soldato
Those are just simple mechanical switches and really not demanding to design/make things.
(ground loops are out of their control factor)

It's that volume control part where issues appear to horizon with series resistor acting like increase in output impedance.

Associate
How are you connecting the DT 770's to the PC and (future) Xbox Series X?

Reason for asking is that without additional equipment the Series X headphones/mic will rely on the 3.5mm jack on the Xbox controller.

One idea (although I might be getting the wrong end of the stick) is that you could use a DAC/AMP and have a few devices connected at the same time. So USB for PC audio and optical-in from the TV. With the spatial options (Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos or DTS:Heaphone X) it won't matter that the signal from the TV to DAC is only 2.0 stereo as the 3D audio will be included. I currently have a Fiio K5 Pro hooked up to my TV/consoles and PC in this manner.

Man of Honour
OP
Those are just simple mechanical switches and really not demanding to design/make things.
(ground loops are out of their control factor)

It's that volume control part where issues appear to horizon with series resistor acting like increase in output impedance.

That's what I thought, but every device I found had a volume control added to it. I guess the idea is to "add value", but it doesn't. It subtracts value by adding a likely (on a relatively cheap product) cause of signal degradation. I'm guessing I could make my own, but I'd rather not. It would probably cost me more to buy the necessary parts seperately and it would definitely be far more bother. I just want a simple switch that does nothing to the signal.

How are you connecting the DT 770's to the PC and (future) Xbox Series X?

Reason for asking is that without additional equipment the Series X headphones/mic will rely on the 3.5mm jack on the Xbox controller.

One idea (although I might be getting the wrong end of the stick) is that you could use a DAC/AMP and have a few devices connected at the same time. So USB for PC audio and optical-in from the TV. With the spatial options (Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos or DTS:Heaphone X) it won't matter that the signal from the TV to DAC is only 2.0 stereo as the 3D audio will be included. I currently have a Fiio K5 Pro hooked up to my TV/consoles and PC in this manner.

I was intending to use a simple 3.5mm jack. That's how I connect my headphones to my PC's soundcard at the moment and I'd assumed the same option was available on an Xbox Series X and it would do well enough for me. But I hadn't given that any thought. Perhaps I should.

The console was out of stock when I went to buy it last night. Silly me, I should have bought one before the Christmas rush started. But I've been undecided about whether or not to buy one because I much prefer gaming on a PC (mainly for mouse and keyboard, secondarily for mods). Then I found a support glove that seems to make using a controller a viable option for me, so I decided to buy a console. I'm not seeing £1000+ of extra value in gaming on a PC over a console.

Associate
I was intending to use a simple 3.5mm jack. That's how I connect my headphones to my PC's soundcard at the moment and I'd assumed the same option was available on an Xbox Series X and it would do well enough for me. But I hadn't given that any thought. Perhaps I should.

The Series X|S only includes a 3.5mm input on the controller. Which isn't particularly great and certainly won't power, or do justice to the 80 or 250 Ohm versions of the DT 770 Pros. Although for more casual use and lower impedance headphones/headset it's fine for some.

Definitely worth doing a bit of research. The Series X has been a nightmare to get for a while - like a lot of things, so it may be worth waiting until you have secured one first before spending money on Xbox audio.

Soldato
That's what I thought, but every device I found had a volume control added to it.
First search gave one without cheap crappy potentiometer affecting channel balance etc.
Use these search terms:
2 PORT 3.5mm STEREO Manual Switch Box AUX Audio Speaker selector

Back
Top Bottom