*** The Official Battlefield 2042 thread***

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It’s the hovercraft that pose the biggest problem as you unlock the AA launcher pretty early on.

Not played a massive amount yet but I’ve just unlocked the C4. Think that’s about all I’ve got that will work against a hovercraft.

Still had a blast last night, but the game definitely needs a few tweaks here and there.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
So to sum up my thoughts so far after a few more days playing (haven't tried the Portal content yet):
  • The "character" systems needs to go. It won't disappear from this game but it better be gone in future games. There's no place for it, they should be classes. Also makes a mockery of the whole faction thing.
  • The faction thing makes no sense. They've chosen a fictional timeline which they seem to have actually put a lot of thought into, yet we're back to US versus Russia, with the same characters on both sides? Lazy.
  • The world needed a single player campaign. Who knows that might turn up in the future, but not having it seems a disservice because I'm genuinely interested in the world they've created
  • Tied to the character system - you should have restricted weapon selections based upon class. That's the battlefield way.
  • The weapon selection is lackluster at best, and the weapon progression of "just kill more" is pathetically unimaginative.
  • The weapon handling mechanics make no sense. The PP29 meta will, presumably, abate at some point but in the mean time that's just about the only gun around due to the assault rifle bloom.
  • Sniping seems broken (the first sniper). Stationary target receiving a single shot to torso and then every follow up shot seems to deviate if you bolt and shoot straight away, even with a bipod. Despite seeing the hit effect immediately behind the target; makes sniping a pain unless you can reliably hit headshots first time.
  • Vehicles seem drastically over-powered. I can accept tanks being strong because, well, they're tanks. But the hovercraft being impervious to small arms fire seems ridiculous considering how game-changingly strong it's weapon fitments are. Presumably DICE assumed with the high player numbers that more people would be rocking the M5 launcher, which just isn't the case.
  • Helicopters are also a touch too powerful. It's like the jets of old where a seasoned player would be difficult to take down, except this time you don't even need to be good to stay in the air. The AA range is woeful, I've downed more air assets with normal guns (pilot shots) and the M5 than the Stinger. You either need good teamwork to take down air from the ground, or you need to go on a solo hell-bent mission.
  • There is no teamwork. Out of the hours I've put in so far, the vast majority of which has been solo public play, I've had two people play as a team. Even using the squad text chat!
  • Barely anyone revives or pays any attention to what is happening around them. Maybe it's a playstyle but I'm constantly checking my surroundings and the minimap for contacts in the vicinity and the amount of times I've managed to push over a hill and come behind a dozen or people all looking one way and lay waste to the majority of them is shocking.
  • VoIP can't come soon enough. Even more so for the Hazard Zone game mode (which I can see dying).
  • You shouldn't be forced into a squad and that's it, you should be able to change.
  • Squad size of four is an absolute joke for a 128 player count game. If more of my mates had the hardware to run the game then we'd fill two squads, so we'd never be on the same team let alone server.
  • The performance for me has been okay. With an i7 8086k, 16GB and FE 3070 the game defaulted to Ultra at 1440p. Reduced that to everything High, blur, effects, RTX and DLSS off and it sat mostly 100-120fps pre-patch and pre-driver. It's now more 80-100fps but that's adequate enough for me due to GSync.
  • The maps I think are okay. I've mostly stuck to Breakthrough simply because it funnels the action somewhat and that's what I want from a Battlefield game, I don't want 5 minutes of running for an engagement (that's what Squad and Post Scriptum is for...). The conquest layouts are too spaced out without enough transport to get around.
  • It seems to me most people don't pay any attention, or even know they can, to call in assets. Though I've only once been able to call in the AA vehicle, everything else has been the robot or the hovercraft/truck.
  • The robot is pointless. I've been in revive cam and watched one of them firing nearly non-stop at someone who was 40m away and proceeded to run in a straight line at it and around it without dying. Seems a bit underpowered from that perspective - though granted I don't want to see a platoon of them running riot and killing everything in under a second.
  • Why there isn't a team deathmatch mode is mind-boggling. Arguably not in the flavour of OG Battlefield, but it was a welcome addition to the more "recent" versions.
  • Similarly, it would be nice to be able to choose between 128 / 64 / 32 player counts with map sizes adjusted to suit.
  • With the spongeyness at the moment, a Hardcore mode would go down a treat.
  • I haven't tried all the different characters as I've pretty much just stuck with the medic woman, purely because it's the easiest to play solo. Run that with an ammo crate and you've got unlimited healing and unlimited ammo. Reinforces the need for a class system to be honest.
  • I haven't used the wingsuit woman at all, but from watching it on Twitch and in game it looks ridiculous. The amount of people just slamming into the ground and God knows what speed and shrugging it off without so much as an animation let alone damage is stupid.
All that being said, I have been enjoying playing it, even without my mates. It definitely satisfies that itch of "I just need to shoot something" that I don't quite get with other games around at the moment. And it does have its hilarious moments, it's "wow" moments and the occasional feeling of accomplishment when you win a hard fought battle.

Soldato
Enjoying the game so far, more so with the solo conquest vs AI than the multiplayer. First game i joined with multiplayer and it was just people bunny hopping and doing the COD slide and shoot :cry:. Thought i was playing Warzone for a moment...

The lack of VOIP really kills it for me though, you get assigned a squad but no one talks, there's no comms just everyone out to do their own thing and its mindless. I don't think there's even a commander to dictate the entire team to capture points or to assign squads to defend etc. It's more of a jump in, shoot some people, get some kills and done.

Not tried harzard zone yet but feel it will be more of the same.

Solo vs AI though, i really enjoyed with AI being set to intermediate or advanced really gives you a challenge! Have yet to play with a group of friends but can imagine it would be pretty good. Bonus that you can still get weapon attachment unlocks through this mode so the grind isn't as painful.

Had a few CTD's and one weird bug where if you get shot you get stuck in crouched mode and can't jump or run. Then if you die you can't respawn and have to quit/leave the game, very annoying especially if you've had a good run.

Last edited:
Soldato
played a few rounds on BF1 the difference in is mind boggling, not saying BF1 is great but sound Performance & everything was far superior.

I could hear footsteps!, Although 3090 let me play it on 4K on ultra with locked 120fps :D which was quite nice!
Haha i went back to the game i enjoyed and remembered the most, BF2142! Playing Reclamation briefly, they really don't make them like they use to.

Soldato
Has anyone tried Kaleidoscope breakthrough vs AI? The last part where you take "C" but every single bot is spawning at the roof top and it's near impossible to get up there without being taken out as soon as you leave the elevator? I tried going the other route via the adjacent building but they just absolutely riddle you with bullets. It's impossible to win :cry:

Soldato
I'm hoping to unlock the Soflam today, and I'm hoping it makes a difference to the anti-air and anti-vehicle weapons, because they're currently borderline useless.

Some of the helicopter pilots have now figured out, that if they hover above a certain height (which isn't that high) nobody can get a lock with the AA missile. Last night some dude in an Apache was just sat hammering the points on breakthrough, and nobody could do anything, half the team running around with AA missiles they can't use..

Soldato
I'm hoping to unlock the Soflam today, and I'm hoping it makes a difference to the anti-air and anti-vehicle weapons, because they're currently borderline useless.

Some of the helicopter pilots have now figured out, that if they hover above a certain height (which isn't that high) nobody can get a lock with the AA missile. Last night some dude in an Apache was just sat hammering the points on breakthrough, and nobody could do anything, half the team running around with AA missiles they can't use..
Indeed mate, takes way too many shots with an M5 to take out any armoured vehicle. Saying that though, i had the joy of taking out a helicopter with a tank :cry:. Same situation he was hovering and i shot him with a tank round through the cockpit :cry:.

Associate
Honestly been sat here 20 mins trying to get a game, the character pops up and you click play, it gets to a game an 30 seconds in it jumps back to where you click play, what a total heap of dog crap this game is

Soldato
I think the one thing that’s winding me up the most, over everything else is the lack of a server browser.

A number of the maps totally suck and I want to avoid them at all costs, but sometimes it means endlessly retrying the match making over and over :(

I also hate how it kicks you off the server at the end of the game and you have to start the matchmaking again,

Caporegime
I think the one thing that’s winding me up the most, over everything else is the lack of a server browser.

A number of the maps totally suck and I want to avoid them at all costs, but sometimes it means endlessly retrying the match making over and over :(

I also hate how it kicks you off the server at the end of the game and you have to start the matchmaking again,

Don't have much problem with the latter, it's generally pretty quick for me.

Server browser would be nice indeed, you could load a portal server up and do it that way

Soldato
I think the game version is more concerning, we're on ver 0.2.1 lol. I thought ready released games started at 1.0, from experience they did anyway! Are we still in Beta? :cry:

I've not had any issues connecting to a server, i got the occasional error though when loading the game

Unknown Error 2:2600J

But everything still works as intended and i can still get into a match. Reloading the game sorts it out though.

Associate
One would think a 5800x and a 3090 would run this game better than dog poop, lowering graphics barely makes any difference, eve tightened timing on the memory ram, overclocked CPU and GPU and nop, still abysmal performance, DLSS implementation looks awful . I've learnt my lesson about pre ordering Battlefield games.

Associate
First game since patch, gpu still no where near 90% usage...mostly in the 60s, wtf! does anyone get full gpu usage on this and if yes how? its doing my nut in lol

Soldato
One would think a 5800x and a 3090 would run this game better than dog poop, lowering graphics barely makes any difference, eve tightened timing on the memory ram, overclocked CPU and GPU and nop, still abysmal performance, DLSS implementation looks awful . I've learnt my lesson about pre ordering Battlefield games.

Yeah it sucks, I've got 3 friends with 3090/80s and it sucks on all of them. (including my 3090)

DLSS doesn't seem to do anything whatsoever.

One friend upgraded from a 2060 super, to a 3070 and it made literally, maybe 5-10 fps difference

Back
Top Bottom