Anyway to change timings on laptop?

Man of Honour
Just got a new Laptop (Dell Inspiron 5515) and noticed that the RAM is running at CAS22!
No options in the BIOS to adjust RAM settings. Is there any software solution that can do this?
TIA.

Soldato
iirc thaiphoon burner lets you edit ram timings
BUT you could make the ram unusable
what make and model of ram is it?
what does the spec say it should be?
might be safer/quicker to buy new ram with tighter timings and speed,maybe

Associate
Think pretty much what @ANDARIAL said: unless you have a laptop with a totally unlocked BIOS (and the Dell 5515 isn't one of those), they only way to get better timings is to have a module which has this programmed on the actual module and hope that the laptop even is able to support those.

Which is why I have sometimes seen people going on about certain SoDIMMs and being willing to pay extra for them - all because those SoDIMMs have specific timing programmed in. And AFAIR those timings have to be JEDEC not XMP.

As to why it would matter on a laptop: well if using the iGPU anything which increases memory performance is a big deal!

Associate
In my humble opinion editing memory timings requires more knowledge than I probably have so the best option for me is to replace the memory with one with better timings but from my personal experience with swapping DDR3 sticks I doubt that will make much difference on laptop.

Back
Top Bottom